PDA

View Full Version : Ed's red storage

slugflinger
04-27-2018, 09:48 AM
I went out and got all the ingredients to make Ed's red bore cleaner, though I didn't have a container for mixing / storage. So, while I was out, I picked up a 1 gal plastic gas container. Only thinking of it after I had gotten back, I looked at the bottom of the container only to find the HDPE marking which was cautioned against in the Ed's red article. My question is, is anyone using this type of container successfully, or am I going to have all of the acetone evaporate from the mixture? Or even worse yet, discover down the road that the acetone has attacked and melted the container leaving a big mess. What kind of containers are folks using for storage? Do I have to fight with the wife to obtain some quart canning jars?:cry:

waksupi
04-27-2018, 09:58 AM
I use an old Coleman fuel can. Do NOT store it in jars.

fast ronnie
04-27-2018, 10:02 AM
I store mine in an old 1 gallon steel paint thinner can.

Outpost75
04-27-2018, 10:55 AM
METAL can, PETE or PVC plastic containers are OK for short term use, not for storage.

alamogunr
04-27-2018, 11:09 AM
I never checked the material but I stored Ed's Red in a large grape juice bottle for about 5 years before I read that that would lead to a catastrophe. By that time I had a couple of empty gallon solvent cans. I guess I was just lucky.

bkbville
04-27-2018, 11:12 AM
used Hoppes #9 bottles

Chill Wills
04-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Do I have to fight with the wife to obtain some quart canning jars?:cry:
The paint dept. of your hardware store or Home Depot store has clean empty gal paint cans. I used that years ago.
Even better, I like the idea of the Coleman fuel can. Funnel to get it in but much easier than a paint can for discharging. Next batch I may try that. A gallon lasted me a decade or more, twice. I am about to make the third batch.

You may or may not want to get the stuff out of the barrel with a tight dry patch before the first shot of a BPCR match. That would depend on your experience and if you shoot PP or GG bullets. I am still checking to see how important I think this is.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-27-2018, 11:14 AM
I re-use steel solvent containers (one quart size). The "Seafoam" cans are a nice size (16 oz) for the reloading bench.

Boolit_Head
04-27-2018, 11:20 AM
What is wrong with Jars? I've used a mason jar with a foil lid to keep it from eating the seal for a year so far?

D Crockett
04-27-2018, 11:40 AM
I use a gal glass pickle jar but I do like the idea of a Coleman fuel can and while we are talking about ED'S RED can someone please put the formula on here I can not find mine anywhere thank you D Crockett

fast ronnie
04-27-2018, 11:54 AM
1 part Dexron atf, 1 part mineral spirits, 1 part acetone, 1 part kerosene.

Chill Wills
04-27-2018, 11:58 AM
What is wrong with Jars? I've used a mason jar with a foil lid to keep it from eating the seal for a year so far?

I think only that they break. I have used a small baby food jar and a small re-labeled Hoppes #9 bottle too for the at range or hunting camp kit.
BTW - great avatar! Who is she?

RoyEllis
04-27-2018, 11:59 AM
I use a gal glass pickle jar but I do like the idea of a Coleman fuel can and while we are talking about ED'S RED can someone please put the formula on here I can not find mine anywhere thank you D Crockett

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm bookmark this for the formula as well as some other info of perhaps some interest. Disclosure: this is not my page, just a bookmark I find useful at times...

JBinMN
04-27-2018, 12:05 PM

Here ya go:
---------------------------------
Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits
CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:

Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal, chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are OK. Do NOT use HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will slowly evaporate. Acetone in ER will attack HDPE over time, causing the container to collapse, making a heck of a mess!

Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the otherainer to measure the other components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin it into a larger container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and stirring until it is all dissolved. I recommend diverting up to 4 ozs. per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix to use as "ER-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining mix.

For more info, and there "is" more info, see source below:

Source:http://castbulletassoc.org/blog/article/2018/4/145/ed%E2%80%99s-red-revisited

======================

I use old metal mineral spirits containers in the gallon size & quart size.

Boolit_Head
04-27-2018, 12:55 PM
I think only that they break. I have used a small baby food jar and a small re-labeled Hoppes #9 bottle too for the at range or hunting camp kit.
BTW - great avatar! Who is she?

Michelle Viscusi
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=YFXjWuu1HOv-jwSdxbygDw&q=michelle+viscusi&oq=mischelle+viscu&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i13k1l7j0i13i30k1l3.7936.15518.0.18612.15. 15.0.0.0.0.110.1358.11j4.15.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.15.1352...0j0i67k1j0i10k1.0._49nBvZWw5c

popper
04-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Small plastic Coke bottle ,1/2 ATF, 1/2 kerosene. ATF is lube soap and Kerosene is lube solvent. Acetone is for plastics as is the mineral spirits (shotgun wads, etc.).

Chill Wills
04-27-2018, 05:12 PM
Small plastic Coke bottle ,1/2 ATF, 1/2 kerosene. ATF is lube soap and Kerosene is lube solvent. Acetone is for plastics as is the mineral spirits (shotgun wads, etc.).

What cuts the carbon?

knifemaker
04-27-2018, 06:06 PM
I have been using Ed's Red for about 10 years and I delete using the acetone in the mix. It stills does a great job of gun cleaning without the acetone. If you use the acetone in the mix, you should use a metal container with a screw on lid to prevent the acetone from evaporating. Acetone will damage the finish on wood gun stocks and should be kept off the stock.
I also use a hand spray bottle for the Ed's red and spray the cleaner on handgun parts and watch the carbon just flow off the part. use a toothbrush to further clean the part, spray again and use compressed air to blow excess off the part and wipe down. Really speeds up the cleaning of handguns.

richhodg66
04-27-2018, 06:28 PM
I've kept mine in a coleman fuel can but keep maybe a half quart in a glass bottle with a tight screw on lid. What's the problem with storing it in glass?

Speedo66
04-27-2018, 07:27 PM
You probably also know that a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone is supposedly one of the best penetrants.

This is taken from the Garage Journal site:

For all of you that are mechanically inclined..... Penetrating Oils Compared A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best! Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil .......... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.............53 pounds

stu1ritter
04-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Single Malt Scotch bottle with a cork.

Stu

Uncle Grinch
04-28-2018, 10:40 AM
I’ve been making Ed’s Red for many years and used to store it in two gallon gas can. Now I use old ring neck A&W root beer jugs. They are thick and heavy and easy to pore from when moving it to old Hoppes brown bottles. Naturally I relabel the jugs.

Gtrubicon
04-28-2018, 04:38 PM
I store mine in a 1 gallon metal paint can, it seals very tight and have not had an issue with evaporation. I also took a 1lb coffee can that I cut out the bottom with a can opener, I then took a 4” hose clamp and fit a piece of aluminum screen, like in your home windows and clamped it to the bottom of the can. It’s really nice for cleaning small parts. I don’t loose them in the bottom of the 1 gallon can.

toallmy
04-28-2018, 04:53 PM
I keep a little 10 oz glass bottle in the house , every time my wife looks at it she says it looks delicious .

Wolfer
04-28-2018, 07:26 PM
I don't use the acetone since I don't need to clean out plastic very often.
I rarely use this as gun cleaner but use a lot of it as penetrating oil.
I store it in a plastic jug that windshield washer fluid came in. I go thru a jug pretty quick but refill it back. No problems so far.
I do add a 1 gallon mix of synthetic chain saw oil. I call it Ed's and Woody's purple.

The more I use it the more impressed I am with this stuff.

Also, this stuff also works great as a gun cleaner!:bigsmyl2:

lightload
04-28-2018, 10:00 PM
Fluid Film contains lanolin. Has anyone added Fluid Film to the Ed's Red mix?

knifemaker
04-29-2018, 12:07 AM
Ed's red has two main items going for it. #1 it is a darn good gun cleaner that works and will leave a fine film that helps to prevent rust on the firearm. #2 is the price. Around 20 bucks to make a gallon of it. Which is a tremendous savings when compared to the price of a small bottle of Hoppe's #9 or any other over priced gun cleaner.

Gtrubicon
04-29-2018, 12:08 AM
Wolfer, How do you go through that much? I’ve had the same gallon for two years, I’ve cleaned and serviced a lot of my and my friends stuff with it.

fralic76
04-29-2018, 08:23 AM
I don't use the acetone since I don't need to clean out plastic very often.
I rarely use this as gun cleaner but use a lot of it as penetrating oil.
I store it in a plastic jug that windshield washer fluid came in. I go thru a jug pretty quick but refill it back. No problems so far.
I do add a 1 gallon mix of synthetic chain saw oil. I call it Ed's and Woody's purple.

The more I use it the more impressed I am with this stuff.

Also, this stuff also works great as a gun cleaner!:bigsmyl2:What the is the quantity of the chainsaw oil added and the quantity of the other ingredients.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

dg31872
04-29-2018, 09:50 AM
I have read of one guy who stores it in a 30 cal GI ammo can.
After a trip to the range, he strips his pistol down and just dunks it into the ammo can.
I don't know how the acetone works with the gasket though.

richhodg66
04-29-2018, 10:20 AM
I'm about at the end of the gallon I made a while back. I omitted the lanolin. As I understand it, the lanolin is simply a protectant and you can accomplish the same thing by oiling whatever you clean with it afterwards, is that correct?

What is the purpose of the chain saw oil addition?

waksupi
04-29-2018, 11:22 AM
There are two kinds of people. Those who have dropped and broke a glass jar of something, and those who will.

Green Frog
04-29-2018, 04:00 PM
Back in another lifetime I used gallon jugs made of brown glass to hold photographic chemicals for the darkroom. I’m thinking if I could keep them from contacting concrete floors unexpectedly one of those would be ideal. The metal cans in which we used to get the copy fluid for spirit masters at school would probably work well too, but I haven’t used one of those copiers since 1983! :shock: guess I’ll have to check the darkest recesses of my old basement and see what’s still there. :groner:

Froggie

Wolfer
04-29-2018, 07:43 PM
As to how I go thru so much. I work in construction and carry a squirt can in my truck. If it squeaks I hose it down. I don't have a shop. My lathe, drill press, grinder etc set under an overhang. A blowing rain has everything wet. I hose it all.

My ratio is like everyone else's pretty much. When my 1 gallon jug gets pretty low I add a quart of dexron, a quart of K1 and a quart of mineral spirits.

I add the synthetic chain saw oil just because I feel it's a good lubricant. Kind of like washing your action with skidoo gas when hunting in extreme cold.

The first batch I ever made was only dexron and mineral spirits. I didn't have any kerosene. I called it Ed's pink since it wasn't complete. It still worked pretty good though.

alamogunr
04-29-2018, 11:07 PM
I've been using Ed's Red for many years. I normally make it without acetone since I don't shoot shotguns and so don't have to contend with plastic wad material in the barrel. I've always been satisfied with it's performance.

A few years ago I ran across another recipe for homemade bore cleaner. It was devised by Steve Hurst, who I think is a member of this board. He called it "Steve's Squeeze. I had to try it. I can't tell the difference but my use doesn't begin to challenge either it or Ed's Red. To differentiate between the two, I used Marvel Mystery Oil instead of ATF. It gives it a different red color than ATF. He also recommended using LLA for rust protection, 4 oz. per gallon. I did the same but made a smaller amount, about a pint with a similar reduction in the LLA. Haven't had any reason to doubt its effectiveness in preventing rust.

Found it on this board:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?75957-Home-made-gun-cleaner-recipe-s/page3 Post #55

I apparently posted in that thread back in 2010.

lead-1
04-29-2018, 11:47 PM
I have some stored in a 1 qt. plastic ATF bottle, not sure which type of plastic it is but it has held the Ed's Red for over two years now with no problems.

slugflinger
05-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Thanks to all who answered guys. I only mixed up a quart since I didn't have a suitable gallon container. This stuff works better on carbon fowling than anything I've used yet, and does seem to creep under leading to make removal easier and quicker. Don't want to even know how much I've spent through the years on 6 to 8 dollar four oz. bottles of solvent that haven't worked half as well!

marek313
05-07-2018, 04:19 PM
I have been using Ed's Red for about 10 years and I delete using the acetone in the mix. It stills does a great job of gun cleaning without the acetone. If you use the acetone in the mix, you should use a metal container with a screw on lid to prevent the acetone from evaporating. Acetone will damage the finish on wood gun stocks and should be kept off the stock.
I also use a hand spray bottle for the Ed's red and spray the cleaner on handgun parts and watch the carbon just flow off the part. use a toothbrush to further clean the part, spray again and use compressed air to blow excess off the part and wipe down. Really speeds up the cleaning of handguns.

I agree with Knifemaker. Skip the acetone since you really dont need it in there. I've been using Ed's Red around the house as WD40 replacement with great success. I cant believe how much WD40 costs these days anyway its close to $5 for decent size can. So instead I use Ed's Red and save my money.

joatmon
05-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Is Ed's Red thin enough to spray in a spray bottle?
Thanks Aaron

Wolfer
05-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Thanks Aaron

I would say so. It's pretty thin.

beagle
05-14-2018, 11:48 PM
Ed's Red will eat through a plastic gas can. I know. Have a greasy circle in the corner of my shop to prove it. Takes awhile though./beagle

43PU
05-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Thanks Aaron

I keep mine in a 2.5 gal can where I pour it into a heavy duty spray bottle and use it for my cleaning. When the bottle is empty I pour another bottle of it and repeat. I have used about 1.5 gal in about 2 years but I clean ALOT of mil surp guns,I normally take 10-15 guns per shooting session and have to clean them real good

Geezer in NH
05-19-2018, 04:17 PM
I use these and make a big batch then put it in them. I use a seal also. The only unsealded one is the one in use.
https://www.houseofcans.com/pint-oblong-with-cap-p-1100.html?cPath=124_5_28&houseofcans=39v104r0te1j13r717mj37b9k5

Green Frog
05-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Has anyone used containers specifically made of Nalgene? This is a polyethylene-type stuff that is used in chemistry labs for all sorts of nasty, corrosive solutions. They come in all sizes from an ounce or two bottles up to five gallon carboys or larger, and there are also large and specific dropper and squirt bottles available as well. In addition they are available in both translucent clear/white and opaque brown if light exposure is an issue.

Froggie

TaylorS
05-22-2018, 08:22 AM
Empty gallon of wild turkey or the like works well for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscra112
05-24-2018, 11:30 PM
I use Smucker's Natural peanut-butter jars. Acetone and even ether cannot get past the seal in that metal screw-on cap. I also keep the nitrocellulose dope (lacquer) and thinner for my model airplane building in them. In the kitchen, they store salt and sugar so they never ever cake up. Good thing that I like real peanut butter. I'm dreading the day when Smuckers' succumbs to using plastic jars. So I save every one - got a couple of bushels, in fact.

I once dropped a glass container which broke. I was about five, and my hands weren't big enough to handle a quart milk bottle. I'm now 73, and cannot remember ever having unintentionally broken a glass container since.

(Yes, in 1950 milk still came in bottles, which we returned to the dairy to be washed and re-used.)

(No, I don't have Alzheimers'. I still know the number of my first driver's license, and the serial number of my first motorcycle.)

alamogunr
05-25-2018, 12:35 AM
I use Smucker's Natural peanut-butter jars. Acetone and even ether cannot get past the seal in that metal screw-on cap. I also keep the nitrocellulose dope (lacquer) and thinner for my model airplane building in them. In the kitchen, they store salt and sugar so they never ever cake up. Good thing that I like real peanut butter. I'm dreading the day when Smuckers' succumbs to using plastic jars. So I save every one - got a couple of bushels, in fact.

I once dropped a glass container which broke. I was about five, and my hands weren't big enough to handle a quart milk bottle. I'm now 73, and cannot remember ever having unintentionally broken a glass container since.

(Yes, in 1950 milk still came in bottles, which we returned to the dairy to be washed and re-used.)

(No, I don't have Alzheimers'. I still know the number of my first driver's license, and the serial number of my first motorcycle.)

I wish I could say that I've only broken one glass container. I'm almost 76 and can remember when our milk was delivered by a horse drawn contraption. That is all I can think to call it. Milk cartons(baskets filled with glass milk bottles) covered with crushed ice were stacked in back and the delivery man stood up front and held the reins thru the front opening. I do wish I had a picture of it.

Jackpine
05-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Glass bottle for quantity storage, but for on the bench, for many years, have a small plastic rubbing alcohol bottle. It has a little, approx 3/32" ID "spout" with attached pop on and off cover.

weaselfire
06-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Mix and store in a gallon paint can, use it from a pint Mason jar. Dropped the jar many times over the years and have never broken it. Do NOT drop any on your wife's favorite furniture, or anything she likes. It's grounds for divorce in 38 states. :)

I do have a gallon paint can I use for soaking too, about 1/3 full. I use the can for about a year, then dump it and refill. I'm a gunsmith, so I go through a gallon every two years or so.

Jeff

Geezer in NH
06-16-2018, 04:55 PM
I have used many hundreds of paint cans for evidence storage.

They work great for storage but not for actual something to use for a mixture.

The cans I put a post to before will work great. If you need more for use get the bigger cans. Need more you must shoot lot's as a former dealer cleaning a couple hundreds a month the 16ounce worked very well and never broke one like I have on Hoppers, Shooters choice, etc. Quarts or others.

It is cleaning a gun not rocket science as some seem to make it.

Get the junk out of the bore, then the copper. I uses Sweet's 7.62 for at least 30 years it works. I have yet to spend un-needed funds on any of the new type foamers.
\
Do what you feel you need and glad some one make some money on it.