PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hogtamer... Look what I found!

longbow
04-26-2018, 09:29 PM

I was at the range for our annual archery shoot so after shooting decided to walk the dog and look around... where better to look than on the 100 yard range where I can graze for lead? Well what do I spot on the 100 yard berm? A Brenneke'ized Zlug!

Now I tried to find some after shooting them, what? two years ago? Some time anyway and no go so why now? I have to think boolit impacts just raised it out of the chips at the bottom of the berm. I shot them at 50 yards so they tend to hit low on the 100 yard berm.

Anyway, not much damage at all. A slight ding in the nose but otherwise almost perfect shape. It definitely hit nose on but accuracy was not great with them unfortunately. I do still have more that I have plans for and will post whether results are "pretty" or not!

I am hoping to do more slug shooting shortly and Zlug shooting down the line a bit. These Brenneke'ized Zlugs were a bit much work since I had to cut the plastic tail wads out of blocks of HDPE then turn round, drill and counterbore. What a guy will do to try something eh? Well I've got some plans for the rest but somewhat easier and much less machining. We'll see how it goes.

Longbow

Hogtamer
04-26-2018, 10:17 PM
Skookum! Tell your buddies you found an alien artifact!

longbow
04-26-2018, 10:22 PM
Alien artifacts don't survive as well as that Zlug! Skookum it is (big and tough).

Have you shot any more of them or did you abandon them? Seems to me they shot fairly well and they surely must put the hurt on a piggy!

missionary5155
04-27-2018, 05:46 AM
Good morning
Interesting what will turn up after the winter freeze thaw gets over with. Looks like a big Lee tumble lube.

longbow
04-27-2018, 07:25 PM
Yeah, could be that freeze thaw thing too. I can't recall if I shot these in deep snow conditions or not but our berms are fine soft sand so most hard cast slugs and even boolits do not suffer much damage especially if they touch down at a low angle and get a bit of deceleration along the surface. This one, hardly a mark. It suffered more weather damage than impact damage. Not sure how it survived without being hit by another boolit after all this time but there you go, truth stranger than fiction!

Yup, I think Hal used the Lee tumble lube style grooves as produced by Accurate... maybe not quite the same but pretty close. He wanted limited bore contact/friction since using zinc which is pretty hard.

It would make a nice lead slug too but a bit heavy unless hollow based.

Longbow

Hogtamer
04-27-2018, 08:11 PM
Those did work out really well and many of ya'll helped me work through all the variables. Bikerbeans is gonna work on the .731 USH they were made for and LB thought about the grooves work out to avout 30% bearing surface. Poured with lead they weigh about 775 gr more than I'm gonna shoot. That was the basis for the project, a full bore slug with a lot less weight. The zinc version is about 477 grns and I can load 'em safely to about 1700 fps. Cpileri did a penetration test and they were off the charts. Where is Carl anyway? I miss that guy too! i did hunt with them a good bit but nothing presented itself so far. BLood Trail killed a big ole sow with one though.

uncle dino
04-28-2018, 01:28 AM
Yea them zlugs are hard... I tried to swage a hollow base into one.. Maximum pressure on my hydraulic press and didn't even leave a mark. I think they can survive just about anything...d