PDA

View Full Version : Reduced loads, how do u make them?

Ivantherussian03
09-11-2008, 12:29 AM
I am guessing the purpose of a reduced load is plinking?

Do reduced loads have other purposes?

How does a guy make/create a reduced load?

felix
09-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Ivan, reduced loads are made to reduce recoil and noise, and to expand reloading expertise. Trying to reduce per round cost in terms of supplies and time is counter productive to the knowledge sought. For me, the name of the game is to statistically match full power condom loads in terms of accuracy when using boolits adjusted to shoot 2400 fps or less, depending on boolit diameter and weight. ... felix

jonk
09-11-2008, 11:13 AM
For me it is a question of performance with a given bullet. I can drive a jacketed bullet to 3000 fps without issue and not have it lead or copper up the bore more than at 2500 fps; so whereever I find the sweet spot for accuracy is fine.

With cast however, with everyday work we're going to max out at around 2000fps, and for hard alloys and good bore fit, what, maybe 2300, 2400? So reduced loads- at least in terms of velocity- become needed.

There are 3 lines to proceed. 1. Fast burnign powders with light loads. Eg: 13gr of Red Dot for a 30-06 with 150gr bullet . 2. Lesser charges than normal of medium burn rate powders. Eg: 35 gr of IMR4895 for a 30-06, when 48 would be a normal charge otherwise with jacketed. 3. Large charge of very slow powder. Eg: Case full of surplus 20mm Vulcan powder.

Lots of approaches, everyone has their favorite for a particular gun.

corvette8n
09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I shoot my reduced loads for a couple of reasons;
Easier on the gun
on me
for fun
I usually use 8 to 10 gr. of Unique in my
6.5 Carcano
older Win 94's both 30-30 and .32 ws
same as above in older Marlin 336's.
I have plans to do .303 brit, 6.5 swede. .30-06. 7.65 argentine. 6.5 jap.
all with cast of course.

missionary5155
09-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I load reduced loads in some calibers because... to NOT destroy any more meat in small game than need be.. nice round small entrance and exit holes. I reduce loads to not bother a nearby neighbor as I dispatch pecky racoons, groundhogs, and crows. I reduce loads for new shooters so they will enjoy their first outings and not have an ugly bruise to thank me for. I reduce loads so I can shoot more, peractice more...Getting hard to find cheap powder.

Ivantherussian03
09-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Thank guys, I read everyones ideas. I appreciate the input.

TAWILDCATT
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM
IVAN:I shoot a 1914 springfield[under 500,000]so dont want to strain the old gun.
my load is 13 gr red dot and the LEE 312-160 gr tumble lube.1" at 100 yrd.same load in all the military cal.my garand is going to be tried with that but dont think it will cycle.I will use it on deer.shot placement is everthing.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Ivantherussian03
09-16-2008, 02:30 AM
So what am I sacrificing on reduced loads if I use them for hunting big animals?

I can see the benefits: less stress on older guns, reduced consumption of powder, and lower costs per round produced.

I am a hunter that rarely shoots beyond 100 yards, and rarely shoots out two hundred.
Is it realistic to use a reduced load on a moose? I shoot 180 grain noslers, but have been thinking of making the switch to 200 grn or larger, with my 30.06.

dabsond
09-16-2008, 07:28 AM
I shoot my reduced loads for a couple of reasons;
Easier on the gun
on me
for fun
I usually use 8 to 10 gr. of Unique in my
6.5 Carcano
older Win 94's both 30-30 and .32 ws
same as above in older Marlin 336's.
I have plans to do .303 brit, 6.5 swede. .30-06. 7.65 argentine. 6.5 jap.
all with cast of course.

Are you shooting cast or jacketed through your 6.5 carcano?

jonk
09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Well for hunting it is a question of how far you reduce; for deer I think reduced loads in a rifle would still be just fine. A 180 gr bullet moving at 1400 fps at the muzzle should still do the job as well as a similar weight bullet from say a .357 magnum revolver, and be more accurate to boot.

For moose I think I'd step back a bit from reduced loads. Not saying it wouldn't do the job but that's a lot of animal. You can still realize 'full power' loads without reducing them though. For instance a 30/40 Krag with a 220 gr lead bullet and 40 some odd grains of IMR 4350 won't be moving much over 2000 fps and the cast shooter can realize this no problem; and it is fairly close to a spec loading for the round (and would drop a moose if you do your part). On the other hand, same cartridge, 11 gr of Red Dot, we're talking 1300, 1400 fps- that's a notable difference.

Jack Stanley
09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Ivan , I make reduced loads for a variety of reasons , recently I've been fooling with making real low velocity stuff hit accuratly at twenty-five yards . The rifle is a 1903 Springfield and I'm making the ammo hit to where the battle sight is looking . It's great for practice , doesn't cost much and so far I've worked with about five different cast bullets and one powder .

If you want to think about reduced loads think about what some older factory loads did . The 32-40 Winchester was a hundred and sixty-five grain bullet at what , fourteen hundred feet per second ? At short range with the bullet in the right spot hunters didn't complain a lot . How about the .303 British ? I think it's first loading was a two hundred-fifteen grain bullet at almost nineteen hundred feet per second . I don't know how many foot pounds that is , but I don't wanna try and catch it . A thirty aught six can be loaded to do what the Krag did and not many complained about what it could do . I think you are on to something you really oughta persue , heavy bullets ...... moderate velocities ..... lots of practice . Sounds good to me [smilie=1:

Jack

Ivantherussian03
09-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I am just asking questions--trying to learn from people smarter than my self. I only bother with making loads I would hunt with usually, but I was curious about the reduced loads.

Thanks to all

carpetman
09-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Ivan---I was in Alaska when I started reloading. I do not remember the first jacketed bullet reload I shot---it felt like what I had been shooting. I remember well the first cast rifle bullet I shot. It was in 30-06 and was using 4064 powder and was around 2400 fps and felt about like a 30-30. I also had some Unique loaded up and it was down around 1600 fps. Very little recoil and low noise---I thought I had a missfire. While this is most pleasant to shoot---I wouldnt hunt with it--especially moose. I do use cast in .22 centerfires for shooting jackrabbits for several reasons. This is done at night from a pickup and we dont(should but dont) wear hearing protection. With the reduced pressure thus lower noise of a cast bullet this is livable. Jacketed even in .22 centerfires is too much blast. It is of course much cheaper---when I was doing this regularly,100 or thereabouts shots per night was not unusual. Recoil is much reduced--even a 22-250 with jacketed will start wearing on you--especially the blast. For moose I used 150 grain jacketed in my 30-06 and many said that was too light---worked fine---too light--many saying that were using 130's in a .270.