PDA

View Full Version : Kapok vs. Polyester Filler

Uncle Grinch
04-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Are kapok and polyester fillers interchangeable?

Been using polyester at times, but found an old life vest full of kapok. Now I have a choice... or do I?

Any advantages/disadvantages one over the other?

robg
04-26-2018, 03:24 PM
I'm using toilet paper in my 45-70 ,a long time 45-70 shooter recommended it ,works well just leaves a little charred paper ash on the floor .

Kraschenbirn
04-26-2018, 06:46 PM
To answer your question, you should be able to use kapok interchangeably with Dacron (or similar) without any issues. Haven't used any kapok recently, myself, but tried it as a filler when I first began tinkering with CBs in bottle-neck cartridges (.30-30, 7TCU, and 7BR) for TC Contenders back in the early 1980s. Actually, as I recall, I first read about using kapok as a filler in the old 'Tech Notes' column of the Rifleman probably sometime in the late 70s (before it turned into an advertising brochure). Back then, though, I was pretty ignorant about shooting cast in 'rifle calibers' and never really got it to come together. Wasn't until I got my first BPCR...a .38-55 Highwall...about a dozen years ago and found this forum that I began to get my stuff scooped into a manageable pile.

Bill

Bent Ramrod
04-27-2018, 11:42 AM
I have half a shopping bag of Kapok from an old chair cushion. That is a lifetime supply, for me at least. Works great and have never rung a chamber.

webfoot10
04-27-2018, 06:28 PM
I use the lint from the clothes dryer. Just burns up and leaves no ash. Don't think
it will cause any barrel ringing as it is just cloth fiber.

Uncle Grinch
04-28-2018, 08:34 PM
I’ve got a buddy who uses the old dryer sheets as patches for bore cleaning.