PDA

View Full Version : A new to me 45 case

lightman
04-24-2018, 09:45 PM
I picked up some brass today and included in the batch were 2 cases that at first looked old and black. On closer inspection they are new blackened brass cases. These are 45 ACP cases and appear to have the Browning Buckmark Logo on the headstamp. Has anyone seen any of these?

bbogue1
04-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Saw them in an ad about a year ago. yes, they look cool. I don't know more than that, probably the brass has been treated to look black. Good keepsake.

Bareen
04-24-2018, 10:58 PM
My brother shoots 45 acp and got some a while back. Browning BPT. I have a handful of them, never tried to reload them as I wasn't sure what the coating actually was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thin Man
04-25-2018, 05:58 AM
At first I thought this thread was going to be about something I saw recently for the first time - brass plated steel cases. This concept is new to me (and probably old to other people here) and I wondered how long this processing or has been going on. An indoor range in my area excludes steel and aluminum cased ammo from their range, as they sell the brass cases for reloading. They use large magnets to locate and remove steel cases from their floor sweepings, then try to locate aluminum cases by sight (they know certain customers do not honor their requirements on case materials). Think I'll let them know about the brass plated steel sometime soon. They probably would appreciate the info.

lightman
04-25-2018, 08:00 AM
When I first saw these laying on the ground I thought they were older cases that were weathered. I pick those up too but they go straight to the recycle bucket. These are just blue looking and are not magnetic and weigh too much to be aluminum. I live in a small town and it takes a little time for new stuff to trickle down us, so stuff can be on the market a while before I see it.

DxieLandMan
04-25-2018, 11:23 AM
We sold them in the gun store I used to work in. Browning was making their own ammo line. We also had some in .30-06 but I do not know anyone that shot them before so I could see how they did.

dbosman
04-25-2018, 07:51 PM
My reading says the brass is manufactured by Winchester.

Alan in Vermont
04-26-2018, 02:17 PM
These are just blue looking and are not magnetic and weigh too much to be aluminum.

I just ran into a bunch of those blue looking cases as well, in 223 Rem, headstamped "WIN", and 40 S&W, headstamped "WMA". I originally dumped them in the trash but then sectioned a few and they are brass cases under what I now take to be some silver colored plating. The plating may be some manner of satin nickel or possibly zinc but with tones of a second coating of something blue, similar to "blue pill" proof loads. Since the base metal is brass they are now in the scrap brass bucket since the salvage place accepts nickel cases as brass.

higgins
04-27-2018, 07:46 PM
In the past Hornady loaded some kind of tactical .308 win. ammo in "black nickel" cases, I believe it was called. I suppose when they're ejected from a weapon they don't glint in the sun like shiny brass or nickel would?

frankenfab
04-27-2018, 07:51 PM
In the past Hornady loaded some kind of tactical .308 win. ammo in "black nickel" cases, I believe it was called. I suppose when they're ejected from a weapon they don't glint in the sun like shiny brass or nickel would?

Yes, low visibility from start to finish.

mold maker
04-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Sounds like a solution to a none existent problem.

Char-Gar
04-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a solution to a none existent problem.

It is the Marketing Department's job to create a solution to problems that are not real. Probably half of more of the gun stuff out there falls into this category. "A fool and his money are soon parted."