PDA

View Full Version : One of us has fallen.

Hunter
09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Yall may have noticed I have not been very active on the forum in the past month or so. I am sorry for that but my father has been battling an aggressive cancer for the past five weeks and at 1957 on Father's day 2008 he drew his last breath.
I was there to witness his last moments on earth and to tell him I love him and will miss him terribly. Make no mistake, I have no regrets in my fathers passing as we had made our peace with one another many times over. When he went to the hospital I had no illusions of him ever coming home again so I had begun to prepare myself for the inevitable.
Ronnie and I were more than father and son but best friends as well so I have lost twice this Sunday.
My father introduced me to The Marine Corps, Colt, Winchester, and Hornady. He served America as a US Marine and was honorably discharged from service.
He was a man I have and will model my life after. He was a great person and a better father and though I mourn his passing I am a better man because of his influence in my life.
We did spend many a hour arguing over IMR 4895 vs IMR 4350, .308 vs 30-06, and so many other aspects of our hobby. Though our discussions often became heated I have already begun to miss his way of riling me up.
That along with the pistol matches we shot together helps me understand I have lost a great mentor and shooting partner.
I was about 14 when he began to teach me reloading and much, much younger when he introduced me to shooting, hobbies that I continue to love today. I did spend an afternoon teaching my father to cast lead bullets and he did his part by finding us plenty of wheel weights.
I wanted to share this part of my life with yall, my virtual family so you may have a idea of what we as a community have lost.
I can only imagine what the grass looks like blowing in the breeze at the 200 yard line in heaven.
I will miss you Ronnie and I love you. I know we will meet again when I pass from this world to the next.
For the record, on the second picture I know my dad has no ear or eye protection but he was just posing for the picture with the pistol
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/Hunter1911/2006_03250008.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/Hunter1911/2006_04290001.jpg

felix
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Hunter, rest assured, the Father has more important things for him to do and that is why he was called. ... felix

Hunter
09-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Thank you Felix, I believe you are totally correct.

45nut
09-10-2008, 08:51 PM
RIP Ronnie,, your memory will be strong and your presence missed.

waksupi
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
My condolences.

09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Condolences.

10-x
09-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Condolences.

No_1
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
My condolences

Hunter
09-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Thank yall so much.

TCLouis
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I think you have already found one important thing about his passing . . .

Though the body is gone, all that he was, lives on in your heart and mind!

sundog
09-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Hunter, Hooah! The 'old man' [upstairs] will put that fine Marine to a task well suited - or might just let him kick back for awhile. Hooah!

9.3X62AL
09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
A fine elegy for a fine man. Well-expressed and obviously heartfelt. Thank you for sharing this difficult time with us in such a loving and beautiful way.

357maximum
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
My condolences are headed your way also.

HABCAN
09-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Semper Fi, Hunter! Thank you for sharing. Condolences to you and yours.

MT Gianni
09-11-2008, 12:12 AM
My sincerest condolances. G

Jon K
09-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Well done..........my thoughts and prayers..........

Jon

Marine Sgt 2111
09-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Well brother, now you get to shoot on a windless range, where the shooting slots are of soft sand that sticks to nothing, where the lighting is just right and jams or misfeeds don't happen. The butts are pulled for you and targets are scored by unseen hero's.

You now can discuss hot topics with Jack O'Conner, Elmer Keith, John Moses Browning, P.O. Ackley, Skeeter Skelton, Billy Dixon, Wyatt Earp and anny Oakly. What a conversation that must be.

You also Marine get to join our other brothers who went on before us, they are the blessed. If you get the chance, and you run into them please say hello to Cpl Kidd, Sgt Babb and SSgt "Ski". They were brave young men who were my friends in Iraq, who lived the good life, fought the good fight and made the ultimate sacrifice.

No words can even begin the depth and breath of your loss Hunter. You have lost a good friend, a metor, a shooting partner but above it all, you have lost the man who taught you about life, it's pitfalls and joys, right from wrong, how to walk straight and tall and always be able to look yourself in the mirror, he was your dad.

My condolences on this loss but be comforted in knowing that he is in a better place than you or I and that when you cross over the river Jordan it will be his warm smile and firm handshake that will greet you.

Sleep now Marine your tour of duty is over, the angels will sound revely when you shall wake to sleep no more.

Semper Fi......

Hunter
09-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Wow yall, I really appreciate the comments. I have begun to come to terms with my father passing but I am sure I will never get over it totally (and I am not sure I would want to).
It means the world to me you all would stop in and post your thoughts, it does help.

Bret4207
09-11-2008, 05:57 AM
Thoughts and prayers headed your way. Be glad you had the chance to make things right before he passed. I never had that chance and regret it still. Your post shows the esteema nd love you had for your Dad. I don't think any higher honor can really be shown.

Semper Fi Ronnie.

eka
09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Your in my thoughts. A father could only wish for that kind of a relationship with a son.

tom barthel
09-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Celebrate his life and your time with him. Give thanks for the time you had with him.His time here is done. He sleeps. awaiting the resurrection. It's something you will keep in your heart a long time. My condolences.

Bigjohn
09-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Hunter, I send you and your family my most sincerest condolences

John.

jlb300
09-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks to your father for his service. I am saddened for your loss and our country's loss as well. I surmise that since you stated that he introduced you to the marines that you too were an active member in the armed forces. I wish to thank you for that as well.
As words are all I have to offer I pray that you will carry on that relationship to your children and grandchildren and theirs. Love is a gift that is only meaningful if you give it away.I think your Dad knew that.The Father will not allow us to come under something that we cannot bear and not provide a way out from under it for us.
God be with you and yours during the low moments as well as the high ones

Hunter
09-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Thank yall for all the kind words, yes I served as a Marine for 4 years mostly because of my father.
The good Lord has taken care of my family and me and has helped us so much. It is also great for you all to comment, that makes all the differance in the world.