PDA

View Full Version : eddystone value

rancher1913
04-23-2018, 05:24 AM
picked up what I think is a decent custom rifle, its based on the model 1917 eddystone receiver and has a huge bull barrel in 25-06. rifling is a little concerning and seams faint. have never seen a barrel that is worn out so don't really know what one would look like. came with a nice attached tripod, scope, and custom stock with thumb hole.

anybody got some photos of a worn out barrel vs a good one. rifling twist looks like it is a fairly fast twist. bore is nice and shinny just that light rifling has me a little concerned. no markings on the barrel except the 25-06 stamp.

any guess as to value.

Texas by God
04-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Pics are a must for an educated guess on the value. As far as the barrel goes, I would shoot it and see how it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

john.k
04-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Worn rifling always starts at the throat,an easy way to check is to drop a bullet into the chamber,push in firmly,measure with a rod,the measured length should place the bullet still in the case.If 2" longer, the throat is shot out.A 25/06 shooting hot loads would not last 2500 rounds.

WILCO
04-23-2018, 10:07 AM
picked up what I think is a decent custom rifle, its based on the model 1917 eddystone receiver and has a huge bull barrel in 25-06.

Average buying price around here would put it at $450.00 to $600.00.
Worth more in as issued condition. Congratulations though. Those Eddystones are worth saving.

john.k
04-23-2018, 11:29 PM
No doubt you are aware that you should remove the metal from wood,and check the front of the reciever ring all round for fine cracks,some not so fine.You can weld up cracked rings,it was my job once......but better if not cracked.

rancher1913
04-24-2018, 05:11 AM
yes I checked it with starting fluid and did not see any. on hitch now so it will be 2 weeks before I can try to check barrel further.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-24-2018, 10:13 AM
came with a nice attached tripod, scope, and custom stock with thumb hole.

Sounds like it was setup as a prairie dog gun. Depending on??? Prairie dog shootin can burn up a lot of ammo.
As to the rifling, does it look to have sharp lands and grooves? or do they look smoothed out.

rancher1913
04-24-2018, 10:28 AM
That's what seems odd, they look sharp but faint, looks like a fast twist, bore is bright and shiny, they just seem a little to light. Will try and run a ball through it and get a diameter, that should tell me how wore out it.

kywoodwrkr
04-26-2018, 10:44 PM
Some soft lead will tell you sharpness, or not, of lands & grooves.(you covered this idea)
Throat condition can be determined by pounding soft lead into it.
Instructions for both of these procedures can be found on the forum elsewhere.
I'd offer my explanation, but would prefer you get correct instructions!:veryconfu

Texas by God
04-27-2018, 08:15 AM
You might as well determine your rifling twist while you are at it. We would love to see pics of this gun also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

rancher1913
04-27-2018, 05:41 PM
i'm on my hitch for another week and a half, barely have time to sleep, but hope to do some more investigations when I get time. thanks for all the suggestions so far.