PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Sr. Turret adjustment question

Penrod
04-20-2018, 05:42 PM
As someone said elsewhere around here, the best way to find a great piece of vintage gear is to NOT look for it. This Hollywood Sr. Turret press was bought new in 1962 by the man I bought it from last week. It had not been used in years, but reasonably well stored. After a lot of elbow grease, Evapo-Rust, Balistol, Castrol, 600-800-1200 wet/dry, Scotch-Brite purples, Clover valve grinding compound and Birchwood-Casey cold blue, it's looking 99% new and operates as smooth as a 1947 Buick Dynaflow transmission.

After I re-assembled it, I pondered a bit at the end-of-stroke adjustment. This is a set screw which strikes a boss on the press base to stop the stroke at the top. There's a good bit of range in the adjustment and I'm wondering what would be best. 1) just before top dead center 2) right on TDC, or 3) slightly over TDC the way my Star progressive does. Well, the Star actually goes a good bit past TDC.

Any suggestions?

And thanks for the many bits of information about this press I've already gathered from the forum. I was able to order four bushings for the 1-1/2 holes to give me 8 "regular" 7/8 holes.

Pressman
04-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Top dead center is fine, others would say that cam over is better. My personal feelings are either will achieve the same results.
Ken

Negster
04-20-2018, 10:31 PM
I mounted a dial indicator on mine and set the stop right as I reached the top of the travel.

Chris

Penrod
04-21-2018, 12:11 AM
Sounds like TDC is the way to go. I like the idea of using the dial indicator. That will be my first Saturday morning project.

Kevin Rohrer
04-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Did the press come w/ the tie rod? Mine was needed when FL resizing 7.62mm MG brass.

Penrod
05-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Kevin, sorry for the delay. I need some sort of alert to let me know about replies. To answer your question, no it did not. The owner said he had the rod somewhere and I've been waiting to see what he might find before buying one from eBay or CH4D.