PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on how to fix a wobbly front sight

asmith80
04-20-2018, 01:26 PM
I have a No. 4 Enfield that I have converted into a No.5 Jungle Carbine. I noticed the front sight/flash hider combination has a lot of side-to-side wobble, probably as much as 1/8" either way. It's held in place by two roll pins right now. Does anybody have any tricks to lock this down?

country gent
04-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Try a new set of roll pins. Sometimes thru rough handling bumps and drops they collapse a little allowing for movement. Other wise it can get involved to fis if its the holes themselves. Then the easiest way is to drive one pin out and open hole to next size roll pin or solid pin press ( if room is critical sacrifice a drill in the same size and use the shank for pins) in that pin and drive out second pin ream and re pin. You need to make sure the holes are completely cleaned up.

The NM blocks on M1A/M14s and the original gas block front sight on ARs used taper pins to hold. on the wide blocks a lot of builders used 2 pins and put 1 in from each side so they tightened better. If you could find the pins and reamer this would work well also.

samari46
04-21-2018, 12:08 AM
I believe the flash hiders on the #5 are also soldered as well as being pinned in place. if you want a permanent rock solid installation maybe JB weld with the pins. Some of the Indonesian Dutch rifle or carbines when converted from the 6.5 Dutch caliber to 303 British had the flash hider/muzzle break also had them soldered in place with two pins. Buddy had one and after punching out the pins used a mapp gas torch to liquify the solder before removal. Then again I could be wrong regarding the solder part with the #5 carbine. Frank

leebuilder
04-21-2018, 07:52 AM
All the no5 I have seen the front sight flash hider assembly was pined and soldered. I would ream out the holes with a proper size taper pin reamer and install taper pins cut to the right lenght.
Be well

asmith80
04-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the help, guys