PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Rust Off an Octagon Barrel? Help needed.

Kev18
04-20-2018, 12:44 AM
I have a Winchester 1886 in 40-82 MFG 1889. My issue is the **** octagon barrel. Whenever I get a spec of rust on any other round barrel rifle, I just buff it out and re-blue. Now with the 1886, I spent a whole day taking the rust off the barrel markings, abit around the receiver, and the edges of the octagon barrel, it looked great! The next day, I woke up and took a look at the rifle... The rust already was visible on the edges of the barrel.

So I asked a gun smith, and he said there is nothing to do. It's common for octagon barrels to rust on the edges/corners. It dosent affect the performance at all, it just looks ugly.
Im just looking for any piece of advice if someone has any. Il try to post pictures of the rifle and a video if I can find one.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tN9bj5Is2o

ReloaderFred
04-20-2018, 02:01 AM
The only suggestion I have is a good quality oil on all the metal surfaces.

smokeywolf
04-20-2018, 02:45 AM
I like G96 gun spray. Also use gunsocks.

M-Tecs
04-20-2018, 02:55 AM
https://www.eezox.com/

Jeff Michel
04-20-2018, 04:40 AM
Ed's Red is as good as any I've used and better than most for storage.

missionary5155
04-20-2018, 06:39 AM
Good morning
Been using 30W or 10w30 motor oil on our firearms since I got out of the Green Machine in 74. Our stuff is in East Illinois humidity and we do not have rust issues. Simple wipe down off and on with an oily rag. Quart usually last 5 years...
Mike in Peru

45-70bpcr
04-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Everybody has their favorite. I have switched to using a small section of kitchen sponge to wipe on some of a batch of soft bullet lube I made years ago. It is a beeswax and canola mix if I remember correctly. It has worked at preventing rust better than anything I have tried.

Kev18
04-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I use Remington Oil in the spray can. I guess there is better products out there.

BK7saum
04-20-2018, 10:45 AM
I despise Remoil for storage of firearms. It is too light and doesn't do much good as a rust preventative. It has other purposes as a light lube, but not for storage

country gent
04-20-2018, 10:50 AM
On my BPCR rifles I use a patch impregnated with Emmerts Improved bullet lube to wipe down after cleaningthem I also push it thru the bore a couple times. This leaves a heavy visible coat on the surfaces, I then wipe down with a clean dry patch to buff and smooth it out. And push this patch thru the bore 1 or twice to even and thin the coating. This works well forme and seems to do well for semi long term use.

Birch wood Casey Sheath seems to impregnate into the metal and or finish and does a good job of preventing rust. It apers and seems to act like the vanishing oils we used at work for rust prevention.

The last option is to wipe down with a auto wax let dry and buff out this has been used buffed and unbuffed for hunts in rough weather by hunters for years. It does work and appears to be good for longer term storage.

Most soft bullet lubes work well as a rust preventative also due to the ingrediants. Alox is a form of grease, beeswax and or paraffin are good sealants and keep air and water away from the surface. A small rag or patch impregnated with it will apply a coating that's durable and does good resisting handling and semi long term storage.

TGM
04-20-2018, 12:18 PM
I use Ballistol oil,it is a good rust preventive and a little on a cloth will remove surface rust.

TGM

Boolit_Head
04-20-2018, 01:21 PM
I can't see why the edges would be more prone to rust unless the blueing was worn off. Maybe some cold bluing to touch them up? Ahh saw the video, yup the edges do look bare. Not sure how that would effect value though but the oxide layer any bluing provides is a bit of a rust preventative.

Walks
04-20-2018, 01:38 PM
TGM is right on. I lived on the beach for 6yrs; from Separation from the NAVY until Marriage.

BALLISTOL, BALLISTOL, BALLISTOL

Texas by God
04-20-2018, 01:53 PM
RIG grease on a rag

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

pietro
04-20-2018, 10:54 PM

I've coated the outside of my T/C Seneca's octagon barrel with a coat of Ox-Yoke BoreButter 1000+ after every day's shooting/hunting since 1985, w/o a speck of rust.

OverMax
04-21-2018, 12:40 AM
Same here as Pietro. I tried so many oils and rust inhibitors products (clenzoil Barricade Break Free said to stop rust and found they didn't last all that long. (evaporate) Oh some lasted a couple years but seldom longer. Originally started applying Ox Yoke Wonder Lube on my cap locks interior and exterior metals and found there was absolutely no need to be concerned with re-oiling every year. How I know?

I drop a bore light down my B/p barrels every Spring and their just as bright as the day they were lubed some 5 or 6 years ago. The moral of this story: if my B/p bores are bright and shinny no doubt my center fire bores sparkle. I don't know if Pietro would agree but the Trick in Wonder lubes use. It coats and saturates better when applied in a melted state.

Bird
04-21-2018, 02:45 AM
I have fitted several barrels to various rifles of mine, that have been left as bare steel. I just use plain car wax, and they don't rust even though I live close to the beach and high humidity. Paste or liquid, Turtle wax.
Car wax is formulated to take a fair bit of abuse from the hottest to the coldest, driest to the wettest climates. Just add another coat after a couple of months if needed. Its a lot cleaner than oil, and it will not damage any wood.

greenjoytj
04-21-2018, 08:26 AM
My experience with home applied bluing solutions is the bluing causes rusting to occur.
The chemical just won’t stop working even after cleaning and oiling repeatedly plus it makes the metal smell bad even years after the bluing was applied.
Find a way to neutralize the bluing solution then apply a chemical that features anti rust properties
like EEZOX, Barricade etc.... not just an oil. Petroleum based waxes have a very poor reputation as a rust preventer. Maybe the new plastic polymer based waxes like those once a year car waxes.

04-21-2018, 09:10 AM
RIG, Eezox, Fluid Film, Corrosion-X, &synthetic motor oil. I'm trying a new to me product, just to experiment: T-9. A product from the Boeing Corporation, billed as a marine rust preventative. After it does it's magic, it dries in place with a very thin film coating of wax like lubricant. I've yet to confirm results. Those first four I listed are super, followed by a very good fifth.

EDG
04-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Store your rifle in doors at 50% or less relative humidity. Use one of the better rust preventing lubes like Hornady OneShot, Barricade or Frog Lube.
There is a large corrosion test of most gun products that can help you avoid the fan boy products that don't really work in severe conditions.

Read this article. If the best products do not work you can move to the desert SW USA.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

50target
04-23-2018, 10:18 PM
My experience with home applied bluing solutions is the bluing causes rusting to occur.
The chemical just won’t stop working even after cleaning and oiling repeatedly plus it makes the metal smell bad even years after the bluing was applied.
Find a way to neutralize the bluing solution then apply a chemical that features anti rust properties
like EEZOX, Barricade etc.... not just an oil. Petroleum based waxes have a very poor reputation as a rust preventer. Maybe the new plastic polymer based waxes like those once a year car waxes.

I bought a Uberti Low Wall with beautiful blue but every time I wiped it down my cloth had a reddish residue & no matter what I did, didn't work. Mixed baking soda with water & brought to a boil & plugged the bore and poured it all over barrel. It immediately formed a whitish coating. Left it on about 5 minutes and rinsed with clear boiling water. Did it twice to be sure. Completely neutralized the rust process. Oiled it down & no red on cloth. Blue just as beautiful. Problem solved.
Bob

knifemaker
04-23-2018, 11:56 PM
If you are having that much of a problem with fine rust, you may want to switch from using oils to using a good wax that will protect the surface. I am a custom knife maker and on my carbon steel knives I use Renaissance Wax. It is a wax that the British museum uses to protect their metal artifacts. You can get it from knife supply stores or even Ebay. I made my first carbon steel knife about 10 years ago and put two coats of Renaissance wax on it and it sits in a open display case in the living room. It is still bright and shining as the day I placed in the display case. I live in a mountain area of N. CA. and the humidity gets up there in the winter time and no effect on the knife blade.

pirkfan
04-27-2018, 08:34 PM
I store my guns in a safe with dehumidifier. On top of that they're oiled, placed in gun socks which are placed inside bags made of VCI (vapor corrosion inhibitor) tubing heat sealed at both ends. This stuff https://www.uline.com/BL_201/VCI-Poly-Tubing. Nothing has rusted yet.

JSnover
04-27-2018, 09:24 PM
Waxes (or Emmerts, being mostly wax) will always protect longer than oils. I stopped using petroleum-based products on blued metal after a couple of spectacular failures (plus I heard a rumor that some of them will attack the bluing after a while but I don't know if there's any truth to that).

BigEyeBob
04-27-2018, 09:44 PM
Liquid lanoline ,the industrial stuff ,not the pharmacy stuff . Just wipe a light coat on and let it dry.
Formy machinery tables i use camillia oil aka tea oil ,bit hard to find ,but its very good dries and leaves a film on the surface . I managed to get two bottles from the local super market ,but they must have been the last ,havent seen it since.
In days gone by after blueing the traditional gun makers used to give the metal parts a light coat of linseed oil to protect the finish . I have done this after rebluing a Martini cadet barrel and now I come to think about it have seen no signs of rust on the barrel .

ironhead7544
05-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Flitz Gun Wax is carnuba and bees wax. Remove the oil first.

CLP will also work. I have owned numerous octagon barrels over the years with no problems. Wipe down with CLP before putting them up has always worked for me.

Bama
05-10-2018, 09:43 PM
RIG grease on a rag

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Plus one on RIG grease. Lived in Lousianna for 10+ years, shop was unheated or cooled. RIG was the only thing that worked on Lathe and drill press.

Dan Cash
05-10-2018, 10:13 PM
I fail to grasp the problem some are having with rust on octagon barrels. I have a number of octagon barrel rifles ranging from an 1893 Marlin to a 1975 vintage Shiloh Sharps and have not expereienced any untoward tendency to rust. A couple of the rifles are heavily used and frequently exposed to rain and snow. These get dried off and wiped down with Ed's Red as do the safe queens. No rust. Presently, the climate where I live is not that humid but I have lived in Kentucky and Colorado at other times in my life had no rust problem there either.

ChuckJaxFL
05-18-2018, 08:09 PM
I have fitted several barrels to various rifles of mine, that have been left as bare steel. I just use plain car wax, and they don't rust even though I live close to the beach and high humidity. Paste or liquid, Turtle wax.
Car wax is formulated to take a fair bit of abuse from the hottest to the coldest, driest to the wettest climates. Just add another coat after a couple of months if needed. Its a lot cleaner than oil, and it will not damage any wood.

What he said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk