PDA

View Full Version : Determining candle composition

15meter
04-20-2018, 12:08 AM
I was gifted a bunch of church candles. Is there a way to determine if they are bee's wax or paraffin?

D Crockett
04-20-2018, 12:57 AM
in the old days church candles were made of bees wax. but today it is hard to say what they are made of. D Crockett

Clovis
04-20-2018, 04:02 AM
Bees wax is now a more expensive ingredient than paraffin and burns much faster, they are almost certainly made of paraffin.

randyrat
04-20-2018, 07:32 AM
I think they could be at least a mix of beeswax, possibly a mix of Beeswax and Micro wax.
I found it written. There are pure and there are 51% beeswax candles

Meet liturgical standards with clean-burning 51% pure beeswax contents.

15meter
04-20-2018, 08:51 AM
I would guess these are 15-20 years old, minimum. May very well be older. My guess is they are bee's wax. Was hoping for a way to verify.

bangerjim
04-20-2018, 12:45 PM
If beeswax, you can tell by the smell off of a fresh surface. Either cut thru one or shave deep in the side and take a good whiff. Paraffin has relatively no smell but pure bees wax has a unique sweet "yummy" odor. I have some of it that is over 15 years old and the smell is still in there.

But if they are free, don't worry about it. Just use them. Or start a candle-lit prayer group for Comifornia and their crazy laws!

Bulldogger
04-20-2018, 12:59 PM
If beeswax, you can tell by the smell off of a fresh surface. Either cut thru one or shave deep in the side and take a good whiff. Paraffin has relatively no smell but pure bees wax has a unique sweet "yummy" odor.

+1, unmistakable aroma. If you can't smell it, it ain't there and they aren't beeswax.

BDGR

John Boy
04-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Your Internet browser - your best friend if you use it ...
http://www.churchsupplywarehouse.com/candles/church-candles/altar-candles-unbleached.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIosP3qILK2gIVRgOG Ch06IgwrEAAYAiAAEgIvU_D_BwE

Bodean98
04-21-2018, 08:18 AM
If they are liturgical candles they will be beeswax and yes you should be able to tell from the smell. Even the smell of the smoke from extinguishing is unique. Not a deal breaker but something to be aware of if making lube from them is pure beeswax is too soft to use. The candles will slump and fall over. Therefore hardeners are used in the making so that the candles are durable enough to stand without slumping over. My mother made the candles for our church for years. I have the remnants of the wax she used. It's as hard as parifin.