PDA

View Full Version : Cast for 9.3x57mm

Brithunter
09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Hi All,

Have a Husqvarna model 46 (1935) and have been trying to shoot cast bulelts through it. Trouble is that the grooves are oversize and moulds are expensive and not easliy obtainable here. With a digital caliper the grooves measure 0.370" and not 0.366" as would seem to be the size for 9.3mm but I am not convinced about the accuracy of the information as several European makers used groove depth if 0.008" and not the 0.004" that is considered the norm today.

So far I cast some 0.358" bullets using very soft lead from a couple of Lyman moulds ( 35897 & 35875) I picked up and Paper Patched them with limited success. So have been wondering about boring one of the moulds out to suit the barrel. I suppose 0.371" would be about the right size? One of the moulds is for a gas checked tapered nose bullet (35897) the other a plain base with flat point (35875). Your comments would be appreciated :)

45 2.1
09-10-2008, 08:35 AM
I think you are on the right track with patching. You need to find your rifles throat diameter and patch to that size. Seat the slug to snug into the rifling origin so it does not jump to the rifling when fired. Those are the basic requirements to get a paper patched boolit to shoot well. Try a 1:20 tin lead alloy for the boolit. As an example, lets suppose your throat is 0.371" diameter and your boolit is 0.358" diameter. The difference is 0.013", subtract 0.001" and divide by four = 0.003" paper thickness to patch with. Try 16 lb paper to start with and measure the thickness with a micrometer to get the correct thickness. 25% cotton content will help when patching also. The 35875 boolit would be the best one to use for this.

dromia
09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
A big welcome to Cast Boolits Brithunter AKA Kevin? :drinks:

I would check out the group buys, I seem to remember there was a 38-55 GB on the go that might suit.

docone31
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I second the motion, BritHunter!
I came to this forum pretty full of "knowlege". I have since learned how to really do it from some serious casters. I am still learning, and still gaining knowlege.
Your Husky sounds like a candidate for paper patching. I have a .303 British #1MKIII match that has been a real issue to even hit the backdrop with. Oversize bore, rough rifling, etc. Through people on THIS forum my nightmare is becoming the beauty I thought it was.
My bore is .303+, groove depth is .312. I am patching this time with .308, wrapped to .313.
I have already gone from 20-30ft groups to 2-3ft groups. If this wrapping is still off, I am going to try .304 wrapped to .314.
If I had not been here, I would have never gotten off the ground.
Keep posting, people here will walk you to success.

Brithunter
09-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh no the scots are even here :(

:mrgreen: [smilie=1: :-D :Fire:

Hi Adam!

I have not cast any bullets in a couple of years since the move as I have no where to set up for it as yet. Hopefully that will alter in a few weeks with a new shed :-D but I have some of each bullet cast back then stored in 38 ammo boxes. One bullet to each compartment.

Seat the slug to snug into the rifling origin so it does not jump to the rifling when fired. Those are the basic requirements to get a paper patched boolit to shoot well. Try a 1:20 tin lead alloy for the boolit.

Ahhh that might or might not be possible as the rifle is throated to shoot the big 286 and 293 grain RN bullets but we will give it a go and see how it turns out. Will have to work with these moulds as right now buying more is out of the question. Too many irons in the fire as it is including another rifle [smilie=1:. Before a new mould I should really get the bullet sizer or sizers up and running as I acquired a Saeco and a Lyman 450 Lube sizer but don't have the sizing dies for either as yet.

Oh I should add that years ago I used to shoot PP bullets in the Swinburn's patent Martini sporting rifle I had and have also played a little with them in a P-H 1100M in 458 Win Mag which is what led me to try them in the Husqvarna.

dromia
09-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Oh no the scots are even here :(

:mrgreen: [smilie=1: :-D :Fire:

Hi Adam!

:mrgreen::-D:mrgreen: Well I figured that we'd better lie low after getting revenge for Culloden and then some, by giving you Gordon Brown. :twisted:

dromia
09-10-2008, 11:37 AM
BTW any chance of a pic of that Husky of yours?

Fondled one last week and was tempted, but I'm seriously trying to keep within my collecting frame. [smilie=1:

Brithunter
09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Ahhh Adam,

Mine is the Model 46 which is built upon a commercial Mauser 96 action and ahs the earlier Mauser Obendorf sporting rifle satylinf with rounded "Prince of Wales" pistol grip :-

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/240974/10354677.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/240974/10354579.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/134492/240974/10354542.jpg

Now I had it drilled and tapped as the Speer 270 grain did not shoot anywhere near the sights a decision I regret somewhat now. With the scope fitted I had to scallop the bolt handle to clear the eyepiece of the scope. The photos was taken before this was done when a Bushnell Scope Chief 3x was fitted in place of the Meopta in the photo. The Meopta is back in it's proper mount and fitted to the Brno Model 2 rifle where it belongs.

Hope they help :-D of course there is also n=the mauser 98 actioned version from slightly later.

docone31
09-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Sweet, nothing beats the classic lines.
Nice wood.

Buckshot
09-11-2008, 02:14 AM
................Brithunter, welcome to the board!

BTW any chance of a pic of that Husky of yours? Fondled one last week and was tempted, but I'm seriously trying to keep within my collecting frame. [smilie=1:

The translation is that the War Dept said if he bought another this year, she'd break his other leg.

.................Buckshot

Brithunter
09-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Ahhh I should point out that here in the UK collecting can be frustrating due to the stupidity shown by the Police who issue the Firearms Certificate (Licence) and the fact that they seem incapable or complying with the law as it's written and make up their own rules as they go along. My collection is sporting rifles mainly British ones from the early 20 th century with a few from the late 19th century and a couple of European rifles. This of course causes a very wide collecting base. I believe that Adam's collection is mainly Military based and heavily slanted towards the Lee Enfield so a Husqvarna sporting rifle might throw a spanner (wrench) in the works as far as the licensing is concerened.

Add to the fact that 9.3x57 cases are almost impossible to get through the normal channels, the importer of Norma ammunition is most unhelpful :(, I ended up trading with a fellow collector in Sweden for once fired brass to get mine up and running. The response when I asked about a couple hundred factory rounds was minimum order of 1,000 ( at over £1 per round so that around $1800-$2100 US) and new brass minimum order of a barrel 2000 pieces.

Oh and thank you for the kind comments. :-D

sav300
09-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Hi. Brithunter .can you find/beg/buy 8x57mm brass?They can be formed into 9.3x57 cases,as per cartridges conversions book.30.06 brass can be used.But trimmed to 2.25inch after expanding.
Welcome from down under.

Brithunter
09-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Ahhh yes I know about the re-forming 8mm brass but I had already gone that route with a 9.5x57 (375 RNE) I had so having 9.3 and 9.5x57mm brass formed from 8mm brass would be very confusing with plenty of chances for making a mistake.

Buckshot
09-12-2008, 01:17 AM
.............As mentioned before by myself and others here, if we can help out by buying it here and shipping to our brothers overseas we can do that if it's a worthwhile savings to you.

dromia
09-12-2008, 02:01 AM
The translation is that the War Dept said if he bought another this year, she'd break his other leg.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: not quiet Rick, I'm a lucky man my wife is a good 'un.

She'd need to be to put up with me.

In this particular case it is a self imposed discipline I'm trying to keep to, but oh my will is easily challenged.

dromia
09-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Ahhh I should point out that here in the UK collecting can be frustrating due to the stupidity shown by the Police who issue the Firearms Certificate (Licence) and the fact that they seem incapable or complying with the law as it's written and make up their own rules as they go along. My collection is sporting rifles mainly British ones from the early 20 th century with a few from the late 19th century and a couple of European rifles. This of course causes a very wide collecting base. I believe that Adam's collection is mainly Military based and heavily slanted towards the Lee Enfield so a Husqvarna sporting rifle might throw a spanner (wrench) in the works as far as the licensing is concerened.

Oh and thank you for the kind comments. :-D

As you know Kevin I concur on the stupidity of our gun laws although this is not the case here, my licensing authority are usually quiet helpful. We are currently working through my renewal request for 50 additional slots, they are not objecting but as this is a new one for them getting the "right" documentation in place has to be worked through.

A very elegant rifle BTW, do you find the scope mount high for eye relief.

Brithunter
09-12-2008, 04:39 AM
Hi Adam,

Ahhh well I have to deal with what must be the most stupid licensing authority in the UK "Lincolnshire" :( it's now been three years and they still cannot get my licence right and they insist that I can only shoot a few of my rifles the rest are for collection only. Knowing how stupid they are having been in this county when first getting my FAC before moving back I contacted them to go over the security at the house and hopefully head off problems as I was moving back with a few dozen rifles and knew they would struggle to cope on the mental level of trying to get their tiny little minds around the fact that a private person could have so many guns.

Heck they limit dealers to less than I have in some cases here :confused::( as they like to constantly remind me. After hundreds of hours of disscussions they still refuse to operate as the law lays down and even tried telling a council member of the HBSA that he didn't know what he was talking about and that they were right. After he pushed the Home Office book under their noses and asked them to show us where it said what they were doing and demanding was right they got huffy and left. This was the Licensing Officer and her deputy so I had the head honchos at the table in the front room trying to sort out the mess they have caused. The the Chief Constable has the nerve to demand more morney from the tax payers as his force has run up a huge defiecet due to their incompetance :roll::(.

I have the dubious enjoyment of dealing with the morons this morning over a tempory permit they issued for something that does not exist :confused: and if I don't try to clear it up with them they are threatening to do a raid to seize the weapon. How they will do this I am not quite sure as I say it does not exist and they know this as well but what has that got to do with it.

Now the mounts on the Husqvarna are Hilver stud rings on bases. The jam screws which pull the rings down onto the bases can also be used for windage and that Mepota 3x scope didn't have any windage ajustment. The Bushnell scopechief does but I may very well change that for a Leupold M8 Compact 4x that i have, have got to see how it clears the bolt handle, but as I shoot with head errect the height is not so much of a problem but I may get a parit of slightly lower rings if the Leupold will allow it for looks if nothing else but my chin rests on the comb as it's set up now. As the rifle is not on my licence to shoot that's one thing I have to try and sort out and as about the only commercial bullets are soft points and so expanding so that's another reason for going the cast bullet route.

missionary5155
09-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Before you panic... How about resizing .375 down a few Thousanths ? I know some say that is a No-No... but I have squezzed .464 (NEI ) 400 grains down to fit my .459 Bauska Barreled 45-70 and I was well pleased with the results. I pushed then nose first down the sizer then resized the batch nose up to square the bases (Put the gas checker on) and happily shot away. I did not need 1/2 mile accuracy and at 100 yards it was easily minute of coyote.

Brithunter
09-13-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi There,

That is a consideration and I brought some commercially cast .375 bullets when I had the 9.5mm but have not got the sizers up and running. It will be a while until we get the shed set up and I can assemble my workbench and get my presses set up. Once that happens I can mount a lube sizer and think about dies and punches to get it sorted. Thank you for the suggestions :mrgreen:.

Perhaps I should use soem more cast bullets, apart from my 303's I have only used casy in the the 9.3mm, 0.5mm and .458. The 303 I use cast bullets in is a Martinis AC11 ( Artillery carbine) and I have some comercial (Custom Bullets) 205 grain gas checked ones for it.

dromia
09-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Kevin, I do most of my shooting with cast now. It is such an absorbing aspect of the hobby and to get cast to shoot well you really need to know your rifle.

It also allows me to shoot me to shoot my rifles on our indoor 25m range and clean up on the pistol calibre full bore comps, those underlevers can't compete with Swede M96 in 6.5 x 55. Or evn the .303" in a No5. :-D

Nrut
09-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Brithunter...
Your groove is .370" and if your throat dia. is like mine it is also .370"...If you size down a .375" cast boolit to .370" and load it in a case I am betting you won't be able to chamber the round...Most likey you are going to have to neck turn your cases or get a neck reamer to open up the neck of your chamber...The throats are also verrry long!...I couldn't reach the lands on my 46 and 146's with a 270gr Speer and still have the base of the bullet in the case...
There are two fella's that post here that have had good luck with cast in these rifles...

Nelsdou44
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19817

Glen
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17018
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=22170