PDA

View Full Version : Neck expander size

oneokie
09-09-2008, 11:55 PM
What size of expander plug should one use? How much difference in plug diameter and boolit diameter?

felix
09-10-2008, 12:00 AM
For most guns, most loads: 0.004; for single shot guns: 0.002. Alter numbers based upon springback. ... felix

Buckshot
09-10-2008, 03:38 AM
................Pretty much ditto Felix. Brass condition (firings = hard = springback) comes into play. A freshly annealled caseneck STAYS at what it's sized to or has very minimal springback. A freshly annealled caseneck is resiliant where a more experienced one will refuse to 'give' to the incoming boolit as much, and will do some sizing of it's own.

..............Buckshot

mike in co
09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
if you can do it don't use pull thru expanders. the issue is that pulling thru can, often does, pull the neck side ways. if you have a common caliber, try a lee hand loader. if you can afford it but a bushing die...rcbs redding, wilson.

but yes anywhere from 1-4 thou is ok. you can tune your load with neck tension...just one more thing to try.

mike in co

Boerrancher
09-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I personally like the Lee collet dies. Depending on how far you run them down as you thread them in the press, will determine to a great extent the amount of neck tension you have on your boolit. Back in the day when I was distance shooting with my 300 Win Mag, and kept my brass in good shape and uniform, all I used was the collet die. I also found that different bullets worked best with different neck tensions and I could control that a good bit with die adjustments.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe