PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #358480

MakeMineA10mm
09-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Can anyone give me some history / reasoning about the design of this 133gr SWC w/ rounded junction points between meplat and ogive and ogive and front band?

Has anyone tried loading it in semi-autos, like the 38 Super or 9mm?

Also, does anyone have this mould that could send me a half-dozen or so samples of?

45 2.1
09-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Can anyone give me some history / reasoning about the design of this 133gr SWC w/ rounded junction points between meplat and ogive and ogive and front band? No, but I can tell you that it is a very accurate boolit in the Super. It allowed you to load long enough for the boolit to seat in the barrel throat and headspace the cartridge in the older Colt barrels which depended on the case rim for headspace. No feeding problems with this boolit in my Supers either.

Has anyone tried loading it in semi-autos, like the 38 Super or 9mm? I don't think the 9mm is really suitable for the boolit, but the 38 Super was made for it. I used to shoot lots of these in a Super. They shot extremely well with top end loads. Unfortunately the 38 Super case, at that time, was a little too lightly built to last long with the loads I was useing.

94Doug
09-09-2008, 02:55 PM
I do have a 2 cav, I can send you some. My intentions were to try it in the 9, just haven't had the time....

Doug

beagle
09-09-2008, 03:44 PM
It's great in the 9mm. You have to fiddle around and get the seating depth your gun likes but once that's ironed out, it makes a great small game bullet./beagle

crabo
09-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Anyone got a picture of this boolit?

94Doug
09-10-2008, 01:31 AM
There is one in Castpics, under Lyman moulds.

Doug

MakeMineA10mm
09-10-2008, 02:05 PM
The drawing (I know, drawings don't always follow what the bullets look like) in the Lyman Handbooks show the curvature probably more than what the boolits look like in one's hand. The curvature intrigues me and makes me wonder if the theory was that it somehow helps in the feeding to keep the SWC shoulder from catching on the feedramp...?

45 2.1
09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
The drawing (I know, drawings don't always follow what the bullets look like) in the Lyman Handbooks show the curvature probably more than what the boolits look like in one's hand. The curvature intrigues me and makes me wonder if the theory was that it somehow helps in the feeding to keep the SWC shoulder from catching on the feedramp...?

It does look like the Lyman illustrations i've seen. In any case there is nothing magic about that other than it looks cool.....

MakeMineA10mm
09-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks, BK. I'll send you a PM about where my brain is headed with this.

94Doug
09-11-2008, 12:35 AM
I thought cool looking boolits was what this was all about.

Doug

MakeMineA10mm
09-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I thought cool looking boolits was what this was all about.

Doug

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

I promise it will be cool-looking, no matter what!!!!!! :Fire: :drinks:

MakeMineA10mm
09-12-2008, 10:58 PM
If this boolit is something that interests you, keep your eyes peeled. 45 2.1 and I are cooking something up along these lines. I'm probably going to name it the "Flexible Boolit".

It will have the 358480 nose (or something based on it that is really similar).

It will work in 9mm for subsonic loads.

It will work in 38 Super / 9mm Super Comp / 356 TSW for competitive loads.

It will work in 38 Special and 357 Magnum as a mid-weight boolit to allow one to create a less-expensive cast-boolit version of a defensive round, such as the 38 Spl. with a Speer 146gr HJ-SWC-HP or the 357 Mag. with the 145gr Silvertip.

It will also work in 38 S&W / 38 Colt New Police.

It should feed well in autos and revolvers with the curves and nose shape we're talking about. It should also have some shock value, because it will also have a meplat... It will also put a little of it's weight out of the case, hopefully helping with seating depth in the smaller cases (but this is still up in the air until we get some info in the computer and drawings made to see this for sure).

Above all else, just for Doug, it will look COOL!!! :drinks: :mrgreen:

Treeman
09-13-2008, 11:19 AM
If this boolit is something that interests you, keep your eyes peeled. 45 2.1 and I are cooking something up along these lines. I'm probably going to name it the "Flexible Boolit".

It will have the 358480 nose (or something based on it that is really similar).

It will work in 9mm for subsonic loads.

It will work in 38 Super / 9mm Super Comp / 356 TSW for competitive loads.

It will work in 38 Special and 357 Magnum as a mid-weight boolit to allow one to create a less-expensive cast-boolit version of a defensive round, such as the 38 Spl. with a Speer 146gr HJ-SWC-HP or the 357 Mag. with the 145gr Silvertip.

It will also work in 38 S&W / 38 Colt New Police.

It should feed well in autos and revolvers with the curves and nose shape we're talking about. It should also have some shock value, because it will also have a meplat... It will also put a little of it's weight out of the case, hopefully helping with seating depth in the smaller cases (but this is still up in the air until we get some info in the computer and drawings made to see this for sure).

Above all else, just for Doug, it will look COOL!!! :drinks: :mrgreen:

BRING IT!:drinks:

MakeMineA10mm
01-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi guys. Just wanted to resurrect this old thread and point all those interested at another, newer thread where this or something similar is being talked about.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=36068

I'm still sending info to 45 2.1 on this design. With all we're trying to accomplish with this, there is a lot of drawing and re-drawing that will have to be done, so please be patient. I think we'll aim at a February time frame to try to get this one up and running. There will be a new thread with a drawing before that.

EDK
01-04-2009, 04:59 AM
There is currently a 2 cavity on eBay for $32 and about 5 days to go...I put it on my watch list, but didn't bid it...yet.

The group buy sounds pretty good. I am using my 357s a lot more lately...and I'll have a few yankee dollars in my pocket by February.

:cbpour: :redneck: :Fire:

59stude
01-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Hello,
this boolit looks nearly like the old H&G 73 design minus the crimp groove that I use a lot in .38 spec with good results. If this would be done in a 6 hole with or without crimp groove I would be realy intrested.

59stude