PDA

View Full Version : New 1886

danmat
04-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Took my new to me Browning 1886 out for a test run while feeding cows today,3shots at 50 yards off my golf cart windshield factory sights ,Winchester 300 gr. HP about 1inch I'm happy now the hunt begins, think I'm gonna the 350 gr Rcbs to start with.
Need dies molds, it never ends. Hope the picture works.218568218569

danmat
04-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Didn't mean to post it twice

Jack Stanley
04-16-2018, 06:29 PM
Nice ! ya gotta love that straight grip .

That oughta keep those cows in line :bigsmyl2:

Jack

Les Staley
04-16-2018, 08:58 PM
Is that the saddle ring carbine? I have one. Like it very much.

Drm50
04-16-2018, 09:00 PM
One of my bucket guns is a original 86 in 45/70, either couldn't afford them or they were not in
the kind of shape I would buy. I have 3 45/70s- Ruger #1, #3 and old JM Marlin 95. I shoot a
322 cast HP in the Rugers for fun and shoot Hornady 300JHP in them for hunting. All I'm shooting
is deer so I don't need a heavier bullet. I like the accuracy I get with this bullet launched at 1600
fps. I could crank it up a good bit more but with this load it cuts clovers at 100yds which is not bad
for a lever gun. It does that with scope but I hunt the Marlin with Lyman reciever sight.

danmat
04-16-2018, 09:50 PM
Yes its the saddle ring carbine, I only hunt deer and hogs so I'm thinking 300 to350 is plenty of weight. Those Winchester rounds say 1880fps,didnt chrno them though. Gun was comfortable to shoot with those rounds.
Probably order a Marbles tang sight for it, I have those on a couple of other guns and they help my old eyes out. I would love an original 1886 maybe one day it will happen.

indian joe
04-16-2018, 11:29 PM
Yes its the saddle ring carbine, I only hunt deer and hogs so I'm thinking 300 to350 is plenty of weight. Those Winchester rounds say 1880fps,didnt chrno them though. Gun was comfortable to shoot with those rounds.
Probably order a Marbles tang sight for it, I have those on a couple of other guns and they help my old eyes out. I would love an original 1886 maybe one day it will happen.

Have you thought about a williams peep - if your 86 is tapped for it? - I have one on a Browning 71 - and a marbles on my Uberti 1876 - much prefer the williams for field use as it doesnt interfere with your hand grip (I like my thumb over on the wrist and a tang site base messes some with that)

DW475
04-16-2018, 11:38 PM
An original 1886 has always been on my list but since it's not affordable I opted for the Winchester Limited Deluxe 1886. Haven't had an opportunity to get it out to the range yet but hopefully soon. That Browning sure is purty!

Three44s
04-17-2018, 01:15 AM
+10 on a receiver mounted peep sight!

Three44s

danmat
04-17-2018, 06:43 AM
This Browning model is not tapped for the Side mount peep, I have 1 Williams on a 30-30 and a skinner on my marlin 39a, they are out of the way of your thumb though. But the Tang sight does look way cooler.
Thw winny deluxe case hard. was what I was saving for but this browning came along cheap.

veeman
04-17-2018, 09:09 AM
Seems the Brownings are getting up there in price too. Glad I got mine about 20 years ago for $600.

Sgt Red Leg
04-18-2018, 03:17 PM
About three years ago we bought our second Browning 1886 RIFLE. This one for my daughter to use, restocked w/a shot gun butt plate, in our SASS matches. My cresent but plate eats her up. Anyway back then the 3rd rifle I went for and finally bought cost us $1600.00. Basicly new in the box - all papers, etc. My first one, about 13/14 years ago cost me $850.00. Both of these rifles are the 1980's production. NO TANG SAFETY. Both really, really nice rifles. We have left the iron sights on her's and put a MVA vernier sight on mine for the 200 to 400 yard shooting. Really likes a 405 gr RNL.

danmat
04-18-2018, 04:54 PM
I had about gave up finding one at a decent price, but always on the lookout for one.
Hit the pawn shop on a whim, SRC no safety, 2 minor safe dings on stock, 98% no box 1000 out the door. There still out there, gotta keep looking.

square butte
04-18-2018, 05:21 PM
About three years ago we bought our second Browning 1886 RIFLE. This one for my daughter to use, restocked w/a shot gun butt plate, in our SASS matches. My cresent but plate eats her up. Anyway back then the 3rd rifle I went for and finally bought cost us $1600.00. Basicly new in the box - all papers, etc. My first one, about 13/14 years ago cost me $850.00. Both of these rifles are the 1980's production. NO TANG SAFETY. Both really, really nice rifles. We have left the iron sights on her's and put a MVA vernier sight on mine for the 200 to 400 yard shooting. Really likes a 405 gr RNL.

Sgt Red Leg - Might i ask what/who you used as a supplier for a restock to shotgun butt? I have one that i have been wanting to do the same with - But undecided on what route to take for a supplier. Kind of like Precision Gun Stocks , but not sure if their 1886 butt shotgun butt stock is a great match for the Browning. Like to find one that is 90+% inlet and shaped - and a good match for the original shape.

osteodoc08
04-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Be careful which molds you go for. All my Browning have zero throats and will need to get reamed before chambering just about anything over 325 gr especially with a WFN profile. You’ll love it though. I love mine.

danmat
04-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Be careful which molds you go for. All my Browning have zero throats and will need to get reamed before chambering just about anything over 325 gr especially with a WFN profile. You’ll love it though. I love mine.

Thanks for the info,i have saw that in my research here. If it will take a 350 round flat profile I'm good,thats heavy enough for my hunting use.

Sgt Red Leg
04-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Howdy SB, when we replaced the wood we did both ends. The factory wood was good but plain - and - I don't care for the bowling ball hard finish. I stripped my rifle and refinished in a tongue oil finish. Much better for my wants and needs. When we ordered my daughters gun work we choose the second from the bottom grade wood and the lady upgraded her to semi-fancy. Nice ! We also wanted an old Winchester pattern checked into the wood. Wood Chosen was Am. Walnut. Projected delivery date of 6 to 8 weeks. Sounds good - right? Well, returned for the LAST time about two years later. A number of excuses were given. When rifle returned first time the wood character was beautiful, the checking wonderful, the wood to metal SUCKED. The rifle had not been fired by use. It appeared to have been factory fired only. It had NOT been disassembled - no screw driver had touched in our hands. Six of the screw heads we all buggered up. Looked like a gorilla with a cold chisel had worked on them. My apologies to the gorillas. There was a long scratch on the magazine tube that I think came from removing the fore end cap carelessly. Weak, weak excuses were offered. I was pissed. I had taken a chance on having the work done on a rifle I did not really know would shoot well. That was on me but were were excited to get my girl in action. Turns out the rifle is an EXCELLENT shooter. -whew- I sat on the rifle for about 4 months and complained about it here. I had chosen this company from recommendations here on the site and others. One of the shooters here told me to send it back again if I was unhappy or stop complaining. So I did. They assured me the screws would be fixed along with the wood/metal fit problem and turn it around in 7- 10 days. Months later it took the threat of contacting the local DA's office about their business to get the rifle back. If you want 'the rest of the story' and their name pm me. I would love to dump chit on'em in open forum, but I won't at this point. For all this we paid $625.00 plus the multiple shipping charges close to $250 ish .

osteodoc08
04-20-2018, 11:30 PM
I was sad to hear SRL had such issues previously. We had exchanged a few PM about it and I have to say, I can’t blame him. I’ve had good luck with that company and I believe my late father was one of the members who suggested them. I’ll post up some pictures in a bit if I get a chance of what ours looked like when complete.

osteodoc08
04-21-2018, 12:26 AM
This stock was done by Macon Gun Stocks. My father and I picked out the wood, the checkering pattern and the style. It was the most I’ve ever spent on a stock and wish I went with a fancier wood but this one is mine and we did it before he passed. Unfortunately it came back the day AFTER he had passed so a bit bitter sweet.

The lighter color is the flash reflecting on the slight bevel. I feel the wood to metal fit was pretty good on my example

osteodoc08
04-21-2018, 12:29 AM

Few more showing the wood and checkering

OverMax
04-21-2018, 12:55 AM
Beautiful grain. Yup I'm sure your Father would have been pleased.

danmat
04-21-2018, 06:17 PM
Gorgeous wood, I'm a sucker for wood like that.

Sgt Red Leg
04-21-2018, 08:13 PM
osteodoc08, very sorry to hear of your father's passing. It can be tuff, I know. Square Butte, I will try to attach some photos, cross your fingers. The first set I am trying to show quality of wood figure and checking job - both of which we are very happy with. The second set will be 'wood to metal' which we are not so happy with.218896218898218899218900

Sgt Red Leg
04-21-2018, 08:23 PM
OK, that batch worked. I'll try the second. Keep in mind these photos were taken today after the rifle had been to the 'shop' twice and an attempt to use a filler of some type. This ran between 03/11/13 and 03/31/15. Square Butte, I offer these photos for comparison. You can make of them what you will. Good luck with which ever way you go. Would like to know which direction you go and the results you get.

watch'yer back trail pard - - Sarg218903218904218905218906

osteodoc08
04-22-2018, 01:31 AM
SRL, definitely understand the criticism. It’s one of those things you just don’t understand, like why is there Braille at a drive up ATM and why did they have such poor fitting of the tang and have such large gaps? Not to mention the screw heads!

Sgt Red Leg
04-22-2018, 03:37 PM
I know, it's goofy. Square Butte may go ahead with Macon and get good results - or - maybe not. I think what upset me the most was the way they talked to me. and of course the poor response. ah, ummmmmm - (picture the Lotus position) - mmmmmmm.

Sarge

indian joe
04-22-2018, 06:50 PM
SRL, definitely understand the criticism. It’s one of those things you just don’t understand, like why is there Braille at a drive up ATM and why did they have such poor fitting of the tang and have such large gaps? Not to mention the screw heads!

Been trying (unsuccessfully) to think of an excuse for that fitup given the quality of wood - the tang ? yeah might forgive that , but the forend cap gap is just plain ugly no matter what ------something that might explain that (grasping at straws here) -- pull the magazine and remove the forend cap - check the screw holes in the dovetail that retains the cap - if those holes are not dead centre in relation to the actual dovetail ?? maybe they put the dovetailed retainer back in its slot *** about face? It wouldnt take much because any discrepancy in alignment of those screw holes is gonna double when ya turn it round --- failing that --buy the guy that did it a new tape measure and send him out building barns till he learns to cut wood. this is a dang shame on such pretty wood - whatever the reason that gun should never left the shop like that.

surfanarchist
04-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Congratulations on the rifle! I also have a Browning 1886 SRC as well as the full size Browning 1886. They are my favorite rifles to load for and shoot. They do have no throat so finding the right mold to cast has been an adventure. The sights on the SRC, at least for my eyes, are less than optimum. I tried a Williams (of course you need to have the receiver drilled and tapped which I highly recommend) but they are aluminum and in my case just didn't hold up. I searched Ebay for an older all steel Lyman or Redfield and they are going for astronomical prices. I went with a guy I read about here on Castboolits, DW Battlesights. He makes all steel peeps that look just like the old Redfield steel peeps. Less expensive than Ebay but not cheap. You might call him (DW, he's the guy who answers the phone) or Google and look. Best peeps on the market IMO.

For molds I'm using a 350 gr gas check and a 405 gr non gas-check from Accurate molds that work great but you won't be hitting the manual specs for OAL. I don't think any lever gun hits the Lyman Cast Bullets manual spec for OAL but smarter folks than me can correct that if I'm wrong. Especially if you size .459 or greater (I size .459). I don't mind since I'm still crimping in the crimp groove but my OAL is right around 2.60 if I recall. SAECO makes some nice molds that drop at .458 if you're lucky. I've no experience with other molds. Have fun stay safe.

Wayne

skeettx
04-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Fun guns :)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-052S.JPG

danmat
04-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Congratulations on the rifle! I also have a Browning 1886 SRC as well as the full size Browning 1886. They are my favorite rifles to load for and shoot. They do have no throat so finding the right mold to cast has been an adventure. The sights on the SRC, at least for my eyes, are less than optimum. I tried a Williams (of course you need to have the receiver drilled and tapped which I highly recommend) but they are aluminum and in my case just didn't hold up. I searched Ebay for an older all steel Lyman or Reading and they are going for astronomical prices. I went with a guy I read about here on Castboolits, DW Battlesights. He makes all steel peeps that look just like the old Reading steel peeps. Less expensive than Ebay but not cheap. You might call him (DW, he's the guy who answers the phone) or Google and look. Best peeps on the market IMO.

For molds I'm using a 350 gr gas check and a 405 gr non gas-check from Accurate molds that work great but you won't be hitting the manual specs for OAL. I don't think any lever gun hits the Lyman Cast Bullets manual spec for OAL but smarter folks than me can correct that if I'm wrong. Especially if you size .459 or greater (I size .459). I don't mind since I'm still crimping in the crimp groove but my OAL is right around 2.60 if I recall. SAECO makes some nice molds that drop at .458 if you're lucky. I've no experience with other molds. Have fun stay safe.

Wayne

Thank you, everyone yall sure shorten the learning curve.

osteodoc08
05-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Danmat, how’s your rifle shooting?

danmat
05-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Shoots great with Winchester factory 300s.
I just got a 350 gr. mold in going to try to find time to cast and load some this weekend.
Could not find any r7 or 3031 powder at my local supplier,i have Varget, imr 4064, and plenty unique to try.

osteodoc08
05-05-2018, 11:24 PM
Varget has worked well for me but at the lower end has more unburnt kernels than higher end loads. Do yourself a favor and get some trail boss or similar plinking powder.

danmat
05-06-2018, 12:33 AM
Varget has worked well for me but at the lower end has more unburnt kernels than higher end loads. Do yourself a favor and get some trail boss or similar plinking powder.

That's what I used today, actually forgot I had bought a pound to try a year ago for light loads in other cals. never had opened it.