PDA

View Full Version : Good/bad service by reloading companies.

Boogedy_Man
04-16-2018, 03:43 PM
Has anyone ever had bad service by the manufacturer of reloading equipment?

I've dealt with Lyman, RCBS and Lee, over broken parts, worn out parts and etc...and been treated awesome every time.

RCBS was no questions asked. Lee I tried to order some half dozen spare parts and got a cart with nothing due but $3 shipping. I lost some parts in a move for a Dillon scale, but didn't want to take advantage of their generous program so didn't contact the them. Reputation speaks for itself, I think.

Sometimes I hear about choosing X over Z because of customer service....and that begs the question...which company isn't GREAT??

sghart3578
04-16-2018, 04:02 PM
I have had excellent service every time from Lee. I have never contacted Dillon but I am sure that they are great also.

I have tried twice to get parts from RCBS for my turret press. Each time I had them on the phone they helped me put together a list of parts that I needed. And each time I had my credit card out, ready and happy to pay. Each time they told me no charge. And each time they failed to send me anything.

The total of the parts was $17 plus shipping, if memory serves me. But I never got them so I developed a work around.

Do I think that RCBS is a bad company? Not at all. I think that I just fell through a crack somewhere. It happens.

I have heard of some people getting bad service from Lee. I have also heard a few bad stories about Dillon.

For me life is too short to sweat it.

Steve in N CA

Boogedy_Man
04-16-2018, 04:28 PM
In my experience it is a great industry overall, and that's what prompted my post.

Your probably right about RCBS...you got someone busy or for whatever reason inattentive, and I doubt it is indicative of the companies normal procedures. Maybe that's wrong and this thread will fish it out?

LUBEDUDE
04-16-2018, 05:21 PM
I have to agree that it is such a great industry as far as CS. I’ve only dealt with Dillon and RCBS and have nothing but great things to say about them.

I have heard good stories about the other manufacturers as well.

Arkansas Paul
04-16-2018, 05:28 PM
Chalk me up as someone else who has never had a bad experience.
I've dealt with Lyman, RCBS and Lee and all helped me very much.

Lyman was an issue with a trimmer that had came apart on me. They connected me to a technician and he walked me through putting the darn thing back together.
RCBS just sent equipment at no charge.
With Lee I had to pay for the parts, but it was minimal and a rep walked me through everything I needed and was very nice. I had bought an old Challenger press and the linkage broke in half. For only $15 I got all the parts to convert it to the new system.

No complaints at all from any of them.

iShoot17
04-16-2018, 05:34 PM
I’ve had success with many of the companies: Redding, RCBS, Dillon, and Lee (I paid for the parts for this one, which is how it should have been since I was the one who lost them).

At this point, I try to call in only if something broke that wasn’t my fault or a failure somewhere. If I break a part myself, lose something, etc. I try to find what I need without calling. Especially RCBS - you call them and they have a part on its way to you no matter what. Although that is nice, I feel I am taking advantage when it was my fault!

Just my $0.02 though!

JimB..
04-16-2018, 05:34 PM
I learned that Hornady only warrants their press to the original purchaser. Not bad service, in fact it was generally quite good and really, should I have expected free repairs for a used press, probably not.

Spent a couple days looking for springs for an RCBS power punch, being unable to locate them I called and RCBS just sent me some for nothing. Springs are probably just a couple cents each, but still a good experience.

Omega
04-16-2018, 05:49 PM
Bad service, no not exactly, but I just learned a lesson with the Forster trimmer (well a couple but that's another story), and that is that the cutter shaft may not fit the bearing when you get a new one, so you have to ship the bearing to them so they can hone one or the other to fit. Not expensive mind you, I think it was just seven bucks to ship (maybe less) and about a week or so to get it back, the service is actually free. And they didn't do one of the pieces for the outside neck turner even though I sent it in as well. So I decided to just do it myself. with the old shaft I'll just put some lapping compound on it and spin it until it fits the new one.
Lee, RCBS and Hornady have all sent me parts free of charge, even though, and I told them, it may have been something I did.

pworley1
04-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Nothing but good experiences with any company I have dealt with. I have only had to contact RCBS once about a threat bushing I ruined trying to remove a broken die (not RCBS). I told them that it was all my fault. The broken die, the ruined bushing was all me. They replaced the bushing and even paid the shipping.

Guesser
04-16-2018, 06:37 PM
I've had good service from all of the reloading equipment manufacturers. 30 years ago when RCBS/Speer/CCI was under the Blount umbrella Lee brought out their new safety scale, same one as today, in red, orange and a green shade very, very close to RCBS green. Blount, using the RCBS name filed suit against Lee for using RCBS green. I never liked Blount and I tried very hard not to patronize any of the companies under their conglomerate umbrella. I wrote to RCBS, Blount and told them both that I thought that was a chicken**** way to do business in such a small industry. I was ignored......but Lee discontinued the green and orange scales. RCBS is under another gigantic umbrella today but it seems to be of better character than Blount was.

Bazoo
04-16-2018, 07:24 PM
I've had several dealings with RCBS, and they were always more than helpful. Sending parts when I should have paid for them, sending old hard to get parts from their left overs shelf.

My latest experience with Lee, was less than favorable. I bought a sizing die, that had an internal gouge out of it. Even though I sent a picture of the damage, they want me to send it in.. .and I have to pay shipping. I shouldnt have to pay 4 bucks shipping to return something thats going to get throwed away.

Lyman... I had a die that was giving me trouble, they sent me a replacement. Then... I needed a different seating plug for a die... took 2 years of emailing off and on, now they are finally sending me what I need. At no charge none the less.

I called hornady for something once... and they were knowledgeable and didnt have what I needed. Their telephone answering system was the best.

LuckyLes
04-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Hi,
Living in Australia, I have had good service from RCBS and Redding, but very poor from Lyman. Both Redding and RCBS have replaced lost or damaged parts at no cost, including a complete black powder dispenser, however, I had the adjusting screw on the bottom of a Lyman Lubrisizer broken and the push rod bent while moving house recently. I used the online shop to order new ones, cost about US$6 and was told that postage was US$75. On querying this I was told that that was their minimum charge to send any parts to Australia and there was nothing that they could do about it. My response was to cancel the order and have one made as I don't have access to a lathe to do it myself. It takes months to get anything unusual sent here if ordered through local agents.
LuckyLes

Boogedy_Man
04-16-2018, 08:10 PM
Enlightening discussion. Thanks for sharing.

Bazoo
04-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Hi,
Living in Australia, I have had good service from RCBS and Redding, but very poor from Lyman. Both Redding and RCBS have replaced lost or damaged parts at no cost, including a complete black powder dispenser, however, I had the adjusting screw on the bottom of a Lyman Lubrisizer broken and the push rod bent while moving house recently. I used the online shop to order new ones, cost about US$6 and was told that postage was US$75. On querying this I was told that that was their minimum charge to send any parts to Australia and there was nothing that they could do about it. My response was to cancel the order and have one made as I don't have access to a lathe to do it myself. It takes months to get anything unusual sent here if ordered through local agents.
LuckyLes

That is malarkey! Perhaps for other things you're having problems getting parts for, you could have someone here get the parts and send to you. I know I'd be willing to help in this way. Id venture a guess it'd cost 10 bucks to ship the parts mentioned.

Hick
04-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Never had a problem with Lee, Lyman and RCBS. The only trouble I've had was with some company that makes "headspace" and cartridge length gauges. They made their 32 Winchester Special "headspace" gauge so that the length is controlled by the shoulder dimension, rather than the Rim. You couldn't verify brass length if you only neck sized. I contacted them and they insisted that all bottleneck cases headspace on the shoulder. They didn't want to understand that 30-30, 32 WS and other rimmed cases don't work that way. After I explained it in more detail they told me that, 'Ok, our gauge doesn't measure headspace it only measure length, but it is still designed right'. Then when I pointed out that with rimmed cases the shoulder grows to fit the chamber, so the cases woudn't go into the gauge to measure length (the rim sticks out the end), they came back and said 'OK-- so our gauge will only work with factory full length sized cases-- but it still is designed right.' The net result is that the gauge only worked if you full-length sized-- which I don't do, and I assume lots of others don't do.

lightman
04-16-2018, 09:40 PM
I have had great service from Dillon, Leopold and RCBS. No questions ask and no shipping charges. I'm dealing with Lee right now and the jury is still out.

dverna
04-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Dillon let me down.

I bought a used press that needed some parts are rebuilding. I was informed Dillon would not do it. I expected to pay for whatever parts were missing but still no go. I ordered the parts and will do it myself.

I will still recommend and purchase Dillon presses but the no BS cannot be trusted.

BTW, this happened after Mike passed. I assume a bean counter is now in charge.

EDG
04-17-2018, 12:35 AM
Dillon was very good about a 1st generation electronic scale that drifted so badly it was not useable. When it was still new my buddy gave it to me because he was disgusted with it. I called Dillon several times and they always said zend it back. Finally after 8 years I sent it back and they sent me the next generation scale that works perfectly.
RCBS has fixed everything for free for almost 50 years.
Redding has been ok though I do not have much of their stuff except for dies.
Hornady fixed my one problem but I avoid their stuff.
Lyman is ok half of the time and stink half of the time.
Forster gives you not one thing unless you pay retail out the nose.
Lee has fixed everything without a problem or charge.

JBinMN
04-17-2018, 02:36 AM
I have had no issues with any manufacturer I have had to contact about reloading equip. or firearms, & accessories, up to this point. So, No complaints from me so far.
I must be lucky in how I have been treated.
Perhaps it is how I go about talking to the people on the other end & try to make sure that I am not one of the reasons they hate their job. At least, I think that helps anyway.
;)

OzzieDoc
04-17-2018, 05:30 AM
Hi,
LuckyLes

Also DownUnder and had the same experience with Lyman, actually worse because they charged my cc the additional postage which was not revealed in their online order portal.

RCBS is not as great as others seem to think either. Depends on the mood of the operator on the day. Apart from 40 minutes on hold (international call rates) on three occasions they wanted me to return the faulty item first. Not really practical given postage costs. Twice new in box dies were "DOA" from really poor QC and once when the cheap Chinese motor in their vibratory polisher died after just a couple of uses.

They did make two of those claims good eventually but refused to budge on a set of 45/70 dies that had torn up threads. I binned those and haven't bought green since.

To be fair, they have on other occasions been excellent to deal with, and all my reloading gear when I started decades ago was RCBS. However rarely needed to contact them about anything in the early days because their stuff was so good. Not anymore.

Hornady have been really good to deal with.

EddieZoom
04-17-2018, 05:33 AM
Dillon let me down.

I bought a used press that needed some parts are rebuilding. I was informed Dillon would not do it. I expected to pay for whatever parts were missing but still no go. I ordered the parts and will do it myself.

I will still recommend and purchase Dillon presses but the no BS cannot be trusted.

My recent experience with Dillon and a used 550 was the exact opposite. Couldn't be happier.

If you were willing to pay for the parts why not just ship it back and pay them to rebuild ? You'll end up with a "new" press.

dverna
04-17-2018, 07:03 AM
My recent experience with Dillon and a used 550 was the exact opposite. Couldn't be happier.

If you were willing to pay for the parts why not just ship it back and pay them to rebuild ? You'll end up with a "new" press.

I tried that. I have owned 5 of their presses and never asked for help before buying the used one. Counted on the no BS warranty. I was shocked but I can fix it myself. I will soon be getting another 1050 so I am still a customer. The 1050 does not have the “warranty” but I do not need it. It will be my third 1050.

I spoke to a woman there and she was not budging so yes, I was disappointed. If I was mechanically challenged, I would have been pissed. If it had been my first Dillon, I would have likely not bought another.

Maybe I got a poor employee, but it happens. If I had gone over her head, the outcome may have been different.

DocSavage
04-17-2018, 08:57 AM
No problems with Dillon,Redding/Saeco or RCBS. Over the 47 years of reloading the above are my go to for equipment.

Shepherd2
04-17-2018, 09:47 AM
I've always had good service from RCBS, Lyman Dillon etc.. My one bad experience with a manufacturer of reloading equipment was with Ohaus. I had a balance beam scale that was the same as the RCBS 1010 but was labeled Ohaus. I think I bought it before RCBS started selling the 1010. A few years later the scale went haywire and I couldn't get the same reading twice with the same pan of powder.

I wrapped it up carefully and sent it to Ohaus for repair. Weeks later I got the scale back with a letter that said it couldn't be repaired. However, they would sell me a new scale at MSRP which was more than I had paid originally. Then I looked in the box and saw that they had never unwrapped the scale to look at it. I called Ohaus and the women I talked to in customer seervice said they were sure they couldn't repair it and didn't unwrap it for fear they might loose some parts. I told the women that I would replace the scale but not with an Ohaus

flashhole
04-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Great service from RCBS, Redding and Lee.

Horrible service from Hornady. If I could think of a word worse than horrible I would have used it.

abunaitoo
04-17-2018, 11:36 PM
I've only had a need to contact RCBS, LEE and Redding for help.
All three are outstanding.
Makes me wonder whats the matter with other, non firearms, companies.

jimkim
04-18-2018, 12:28 AM
Lee, Dillon, RCBS, and Hornady have all been excellent. My only bad experience was with Lyman. I needed a new pan. They wouldn't sell me one. They wanted me to send my scale in, and pay for the pan, AND for them to calibrate it. I ended up, ordering one from RCBS.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

LuckyLes
04-18-2018, 12:43 AM
That is malarkey! Perhaps for other things you're having problems getting parts for, you could have someone here get the parts and send to you. I know I'd be willing to help in this way. Id venture a guess it'd cost 10 bucks to ship the parts mentioned.
Hi Bazoo,
That's a kind offer you make, you never know, I might take you up on it at some time. Ordering dies and such here for odd calibres is a real journey into the unknown. I recently purchased a set of 405 Win dies. No one in Australia had a set at what would have been a reasonable price. Most places I tried in the US won't send overseas. I ended up ordering a set through Brownells Australia, now for the wait for them to be sent by Kayak.
Thanks
LuckyLes

glockfan
04-18-2018, 01:20 AM
all i know is i will never ever again give any business to lyman. got a first hand experience with them after a 2 months wait for 700$ worth of stuff,and all they achieved with my order , is transforming me into a lyman detractor..

i will not name the CS boss , but i can say he's an arrogant *****.

evoevil
04-18-2018, 08:31 AM
I have had many dealing with RCBS and they have always worked good for me. Sometime a little slow. But great customer service. Had 3 dealing with Lee. Good service with what I needed

Three44s
04-18-2018, 09:19 AM
It takes a long time on hold with RCBS but they treat you like gold when you finally get there!

I bought a used bench type priming tool and it came with only one size of priming Punch.

This is the tool based on the Lachmyer tool with the rotary cam.

The first trip through a lady told me it was obsolete and not serviced anymore. Well I checked part numbers and found it uses the very same punches etc. as the current bench tool.

So I waded back through the various phone hand offs and a guy answered ..... I said I would be glad to pay for the parts because of the circumstances ..... he said “not today” ..... lol

I waited a longer spell than it seemed necessary and I called them back.

Net result is I got two sets free in separate shipments pretty fast.

It turns out it was a good thing however to have two sets as I tested them and found the specs on those punches vary enough (their length) to throw the tool off. So one punch from one shipment and the other size punch from the other package became my go to set.

All in all I give them high marks!

Three44s

Iowa Fox
04-19-2018, 01:38 AM
I own just about something from everyone Dillon, RCBS, Redding, Wilson, K&M, Lee, Leupold, Burris, Vortex, ect and have always had nothing but excellent service.

Then there's Lyman. I started buying their stuff in 1969 and things went well until about 2010 or 2011 then something changed and product support turned horrible. I never once ask for a warranty part or free part and kept all my paper work from the stuff I bought so I had part numbers. The people answering the phone have zero customer skills. I won't spend another penny with them and when people ask me what I think about Lyman I'm quick to point out their product support issues.

SyberShooter
04-19-2018, 11:00 AM
I had a couple dealings with Lyman that I didn't feel were as good as some of the others- snooty lady CS- so i stopped using their products if possible. Dillon refused to fix a power case trimmer motor that threw its armature into the case- offered to sell me a new one for full retail, so that left a bad taste in my mouth.
Never a problem with RCBS, Hornady or Lee for that matter

Bazoo
04-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Hi Bazoo,
That's a kind offer you make, you never know, I might take you up on it at some time. Ordering dies and such here for odd calibres is a real journey into the unknown. I recently purchased a set of 405 Win dies. No one in Australia had a set at what would have been a reasonable price. Most places I tried in the US won't send overseas. I ended up ordering a set through Brownells Australia, now for the wait for them to be sent by Kayak.
Thanks
LuckyLes

No biggy, I'll help if I can. I have a friend over there, but I cant remember where he is. Aint met him in person yet even though he's been to the states at least once since I became friends with him, but have talked to him on the phone a few times.

~Bazoo

wrench man
04-23-2018, 12:23 AM
Called Dillon twice, hope I NEVER have to again!, asked about a charge bar for the belted magnums, guy had a serious attitude problem! and they make you send in the broken parts to get them replaced!

RED BEAR
04-23-2018, 12:40 AM
hornady hands down the worst customer service. bought there trimmer took a while to make up my mind becouse on a fixed income wanted to get it right first time and wanted just one trimmer ( all i could afford ) . so bought the hornady and all new shell holders ( others wouldn't fit) and piolets . tried to trim 7.62 x 39 only about half would go into shell holder. they fit fine in lee and rcbs. was told by hornady customer service that it was the brass that was bad as there shell holders count be the problem as they were made to close tolerances. ( must be nice to be perfect) .i tried to explain to the rep that if commercial brass doesn't fit then they were eather made wrong or there tolers are to tight. at which point i was informed that he was a bench rest shooter and as such he had to know more about these things than i did. next i bought a 25acp ordered shell holder and pilot . wouldn't tighten down on case called and was told it must be shell holder and sent me a new one (great right) .wouldn't fit trimmer called again and was told the trimmer could not trim 25acp even though shell holder for 25acp was sold as for the trimmer. and if i needed to trim this case i would need to buy another brand of trimmer. just what i was trying to avoid. knew i was looking for a 25 so this was one of the calibers i checked to make sure it would work with. gor to much invested to just junk it. made a block to size the 25 with now do them by hand. this was the last thing with there name in it i will ever buy. on the other hand rcbs has the best customer service of any company i have ever delt with. go big green.

flashhole
04-23-2018, 06:46 AM
"hornady hands down the worst customer service"

^^^^ this ^^^^

Hornady's slogan should be - Sure, you can find better equipment but you can't pay more.

"this was the last thing with their name on it i will ever buy"

^^^^ and this ^^^^

lightman
04-23-2018, 08:15 AM
I'm having a bad experience with Lee right now. I just broke the unbreakable decapping pin in their universal decapping die. Their website is not the easiest to navigate through. I Emailed them and got a reply within 24 hours. That was the only positive thing about this experience. I tried to order a replacement and a spare and it would not take either my credit card or my Wife's card. So I called them and the Lady I talked with was less than helpful. I'll end up ordering a couple from Midway. I am the one that broke it and I had no problem paying for one, I was just surprised at their attitude. Oh yeah, the die works fine.

sparky45
04-23-2018, 10:15 AM
I had a similar experience and ended up emailing a picture of the broken pin and ordered a replacement (without any credit card info) and a few days later I received a couple of replacement pins.

lightload
04-23-2018, 10:23 AM
My tactic when calling a reloading or firearms manufacturer is to start the conversation by saying that I am a happy (your brand) consumer. Then, in a courteous manner, I say that I need help with this or that. I think that many customer service people burn out at the job because they hear complaints all day long. Few of us call to share positive information. If these folks hear as many lies as I did when working as a sanitarian inspecting food establishments, I can understand their job fatigue. Once I interacted with a crabby lady working for an importer. I needed one screw, but she insisted on charging the minimum $15 charge, which I declined. Next I asked to speak to her boss who proceeded to chew me out for wasting his time. That was 25 years ago, and I still feel guilty about shipping them 4 bricks freight C.O.D.

lightman
04-23-2018, 11:16 AM
I will add that my Email was as courteous as an Email can be as was my phone conservation. I requested a replacement part and a spare that I was willing to pay for. I guess I'm just used to Leopold, Dillon or RCBS customer service.

Walter Laich
04-23-2018, 02:13 PM
trying to think back and I don't remember any issues

all have been more than fair with me and my sometime ham-handedness.

trebor44
04-23-2018, 03:38 PM
For me Dillon has always been good to go. I have had extremely good customer service and advice on more than a few issues. Replacement parts were sent in a timely fashion and free of charge unless it was an upgrade to an older press that never had the part. RCBS, Lee are excellent to deal with, Hornady is pretty good, most of the time. Forester (Bonanza) has been helpful but I haven't dealt with them much. I use Blue & Green stuff a lot, the others are there when I need them. But Blue has been my goto for quite a few decades.

Clark
04-30-2018, 12:31 PM
When I call Lyman or RCBS they send me stuff for free.. and that makes me feel guilty.
When I send something to Lee for modification, they send it back.
When i call Forster, they will take my money, and lots of it.

My favorite reloading sources are just some guy on auction arms that will roll 32 s&w long into 32 Colt Long or some guy on Ebay that 3D prints a primer catcher for an RCBS partner press.

9.3X62AL
04-30-2018, 12:50 PM
I read this thread from top to bottom, and an idea occurred to me--I have had utterly outstanding service from the reloading tool makers I have dealt with, and (more tellingly) I have had very little need to prevail upon them for assistance/repairs/replacement. I am a realist--I don't expect the same high quality from a Lee product that I get from Redding or SAECO, but Lee stuff is still OK. Gunmakers could learn some valuable lessons from the reloading tool manufacturers in terms of finish quality and service after the sale.

buck1
05-13-2018, 06:24 PM
RCBS is almost always great+.
Hornady has issues I think. When Hdy has a lifetime warranty, they dont mean it. My old Projector press with a lifetime warranty is out of warranty somehow. My LNL AP press with a lifetime warranty that I bought to replace my Projector had the wire ejector that never worked. So I now need to buy a $80.00 replacement carrier and send off all my shell plates to be re cut to to fit my new carrier at a cost of $10.00 each. And the spring that holds the brass on the plate broke and HDY told me to buy a new one at Midway. As you may have guessed I have a ever lowering opinion of Hornady.
Never has RCBS failed to at least try to make it right.

oger
05-13-2018, 07:07 PM
The last time I dealt with Dillon when I was asked about the service all I said was you can tell Mike Dillon is no longer in charge.

gundog
05-16-2018, 04:29 PM
I have had excellent service from Forster, RCBS, and with Lee. Forster has went out of their way and beyond my expectation from my experience.

lefty o
05-16-2018, 05:59 PM
i wont have lee stuff in my home or shop, so i dont care about them. the others (pretty much all of them) have been good to deal with, with the exception of lyman being a pita! personal experience has taught me to stick with redding, rcbs, and dillon.

flashhole
05-16-2018, 06:21 PM
I like Lee but feel the same way about Hornady, won't have them on my bench. Too many bad experiences with their customer service.

GT1
05-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Hornady has the rep for never admitting anything they made has a problem. It is amusing, until you are the one trying to resolve an issue. Lyman CS has went the way of many of their products. They have cut a lot of corners. I would not own an orange press made in the last decade or more.
The rest are still known as excellent 99.9% of the time, that includes Lee.

Blazenet
05-17-2018, 03:55 PM
Always great service from RCBS

Steve E
05-18-2018, 12:23 AM
Best service for me, RCBS. They send me things when I need them usually free of charge.

Worst service, Redding. I have a Redding die set in 280 Ack Imp which scratched brass from the beginning. I called them and they said send it in, I did, they sent it back saying it was within specs. It still scratched brass very deeply. I called them and they said send it back in, I put a small dot of Dykem inside the sizing die and sent it in, then they sent it back saying they polished it and it was within specs, well the Dykem was still in there and it still deeply gouged the brass. I gave up and bought another brand of sizing die.

Walks
05-18-2018, 01:14 AM
Dillon burned me back 30+yrs ago when they 1ST brought out the 450 press in a GUNS AND AMMO ad. I had problems with the primer feed using WINCHESTER Small Pistol Primers. I called & was told the fix was NOT TO USE WINCHESTER Primers. THEY'RE "crappy".
"And don't use WINCHESTER Ball Powder either."

So I sat there looking at the 1st sleeve of 5000 primers I'd ever bought & the new 10lb can of W231. Was lucky to sell it and an old (But accurate) OHAUS 505 scale to a new shooter. He proceeded to blow up a UBERTI '73 and a New USFA SAA in .38spl over the next 3 years.

I gave another chance 20yrs later on a Square Deal in .44spl, never would index properly. Sent it back ($20.),
Got it back. Guess I just got lemons. Sold it too.

Had trouble with LYMAN molds last year. Undersized, 4-5 phone calls, sent them back. They sent back 2 new molds. Made at same time & inspected by same person. More phone calls, more $$$ sending the new ones back. Four months later, I got my molds that would finally drop .429+ with LYMAN#2. By that time I'd already spent another $100. to buy a N.O.E. mold & had cast 2000 bullets that dropped at .432, sized perfectly to .430dia. Just as I wanted 4 month's earlier.

RCBS, HORNADY are the best. LYMAN even sent me a new pair of 4cav mold handles after the new pair of 4cav I bought online, came out of the package for 2cav molds. Didn't even want the old ones back.
But their DIES are still top notch, and their motorized case trimmer & tumbler have worked perfectly for 27yrs & 36yrs respectively. And I don't know how I ever got along without their motorized Case Prep Setup.

So no more dillon presses and no more lyman molds, for me.

Buckshot
05-18-2018, 03:15 AM
................I'm happy to be able to post that I do not recall ever having to have a reloading equipment company replace anything, or having an issue with a product. Oh let me be honest and admit that early on, years ago I managed to cause a couple Lee bullet moulds to experience an early demise :-) I sure didn't call Lee.

One time I did call RCBS about ordering a new 'Internal Bump Rod' or whatever you call that rod on the inside of a primer pocket swage die. My cousin was a Marine stationed at 29 Palms. On a visit he gifted me with a 5 gallon pail just over half full of once fired LC83 5.56mm brass. In the midst of swagging out the crimp I eventually managed to bend the rod.

The Customer Service gal said she'd send one right out, no charge. I refused and said I'd bent it, and I'd pay for it. She insisted that no payment was required and please could she have my address. Again I said I would NOT allow them to provide the part for free, because I bent it. We were both kind of enjoying ourselves to tell the truth. I finally suggested that if she did NOT take my credit card number for the part, and shipping for the part I broke, I was going to call and complain that this was a one way deal and I wasn't getting satisfaction from customer service :-)

She finally agreed and the deal was done. She thanked me for calling, and I thanked her for the service.

.............Buckshot

xrayfk05
05-18-2018, 09:24 AM
I can't say anything bad about Dillon really. Last year I bought an older 650XL from someone which was ridden hard and put away wet.
Some screws in plastic parts were over torqued casing it to split and the station locator (the alu. part guiding the case to the shellplate) was scored badly causing cases to hang up.
I send an e-mail to Dillon stating I bought the machine 2nd/3rd/4th hand and that I was having some issues with it. I did not request any new parts just wanted to know if they knew how to fix my issue.
I got an e-mail back asking for my address and they send me some parts totaling about $150,- excluding shipping to The Netherlands.

A few weeks later I found another broken part and again they just send me a new part, no questions asked.

The 650 I bought came with a 110V case feeder which I wanted to convert to 220V, on my e-mails asking them which parts to replace they could tell me exactly what to do meaning they really know their stuff. Even the less obvious stuff.

I may sound like a Dillon fan but this is just my experience with them. If I had to choose between my 650 and my LnL AP the Dillon would go :P

kywoodwrkr
05-19-2018, 02:17 PM
The only manufacturer I haven't gotten what I consider good service from was on 1983+- Dillon 550 .
Had house fire(2008) and contacted Dillon about a suggested method of cleaning a 550 up from both water spray and black plastic smoke.
Never did get a workable answer or suggested solution.