PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of a good start. Thanks Y'all!

Leadforbrains
09-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey fellow Booliteers. I just wanted to share some pictures of my setup that I am now using. All the info posted on this forum was a big help. I am still planning to buy more molds and other stuff as the funds become available.

HATCH
09-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Looks like you have been busy!
all you need now is some 6 cavity molds and you will be going to town.

Leadforbrains
09-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Looks like you have been busy!
all you need now is some 6 cavity molds and you will be going to town.

I have a long list of equipment I need (want). I just got an RCBS lubrisizer, and now I have a whole other list of top punches and sizer dies that I want for this thing.
This here Lead castin' addiction of mine is gittn' purty bad

HATCH
09-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I am just starting out myself, but like I said above you got a good start...
I am gonna try to get atleast 40lbs of lead every month for a while.
Got to be able to feed my habit when I am a old man...
You like that MAG 20?

Leadforbrains
09-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes I do like the Mag 20. It is the mag dipper model without the pour spout at the bottom. I used a friends Lee bottom pour pot for a while and that thing just dripped all over the place. It kind of turned me off the bottom pour method. I like to keep things as simple as possible anyways.
Amen to stocking up on the lead!

copdills
09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Looks Great lots of silver GOLD on that bench LOL

jameslovesjammie
09-10-2008, 04:42 AM
I love picture threads!!! Good looking setup.

I'm new to casting myself and I can't express enough how much information and encouragement I've gotten here. I check this site about 4 times a day. Such a wealth of information and great people.

That's a nice shiny pile of ingots you've got there! Looks like you're off to a great start already!

kodiak1
09-10-2008, 09:58 AM
By tne pile of ingots you must be a leadfor brains LOL.

That or you will set off that machine at the airport with all the lead in your blood.

That is one nice pile of casting, I am envious.

Ken.

zampilot
09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm behind you in casting but runnin' up quick as I can and you just answered a question I was gonna post: bottom-pour or dipper.
I think I'll go dipper!
Thanks!

dominicfortune00
09-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I have a Mag 20 bottom pour, and it works pretty slick.

Haven't had a problem with it dribbling yet.

crabo
09-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I would recommend you just buy a mold for one caliber like 38/357 or 45 acp and learn on that. When you start getting some good results, branch out into another caliber. If you try to do too many calibers at once, you may not get the results you are looking for because you are so spread out. (been there, done that)

Just my 2 cents,

Leadforbrains
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
By tne pile of ingots you must be a leadfor brains LOL.

That or you will set off that machine at the airport with all the lead in your blood.

That is one nice pile of casting, I am envious.

Ken.

Thanks Kodiak, But I am not even done with all my smelting yet. I still Have 2) 5gal buckets of clip ons and one 5gal bucket of tape ons to render into ingots. With all the word that lead wheel weights are going to go away I have been really concentrating on stocking up. I almost feel like I got in this game a little to late.

Leadforbrains
09-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm behind you in casting but runnin' up quick as I can and you just answered a question I was gonna post: bottom-pour or dipper.
I think I'll go dipper!
Thanks!

Probably all bottom pours are not the same. I am just a noob at this, so I want to keep things simple. That lee bottom pour was pain for me to have to deal with.

Leadforbrains
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I would recommend you just buy a mold for one caliber like 38/357 or 45 acp and learn on that. When you start getting some good results, branch out into another caliber. If you try to do too many calibers at once, you may not get the results you are looking for because you are so spread out. (been there, done that)

Just my 2 cents,

Thanks for the advice Crabo. I have only two molds right now for my .45ACP pistols. I am learning on these before I pick up on another caliber.

Leadforbrains
09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I love picture threads!!! Good looking setup.

I'm new to casting myself and I can't express enough how much information and encouragement I've gotten here. I check this site about 4 times a day. Such a wealth of information and great people.

That's a nice shiny pile of ingots you've got there! Looks like you're off to a great start already!

Thanks! Yep this is a great forum with a wealth of information. I love to just come here and lurk around and absorb all the knowledge from all the experienced folks here.:drinks:

Throckmorton
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
That is one good looking pile of ingots. !!

One BIG problem though.....

they're at your house,not mine.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

mold maker
09-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Get your self a couple 4 gal milk crates and put them where your sure you want to leave them forever. Stack those gold bars nested. Crates hold over 700#and will always be right where you left them.

Leadforbrains
09-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Get your self a couple 4 gal milk crates and put them where your sure you want to leave them forever. Stack those gold bars nested. Crates hold over 700#and will always be right where you left them.

I got some plastic milk crates, but pardon my ignorance when I ask: what is nested?

legend
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
nested: i looked it up for you... it means you have WAY too many lead bars.and as i am a person who has not enough i would love to take aprox half of them.
this would help you,and help me.SEE? WIN- WIN>

Bigjohn
09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Ex-cell-ent!!!
You are now firmly on the road to casting (in)sanity.

"Nesting" is a form of stacking. I can confirm what a member said, Place the milk crates where you want them to remain; cos' when their full you aint goin' to move them without a LOT of assistance.
Mind you; there is a LOT of people at this site who would help you shift it and they would restack it so neatly, that it would seem that you have less than what you started with. [smilie=1:
John

targetshootr
09-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Nice going. It looks like range lead in the one bucket. How long did it take to smelt those? Some say it takes much longer than ww.

Leadforbrains
09-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Nice going. It looks like range lead in the one bucket. How long did it take to smelt those? Some say it takes much longer than ww.

It is range lead and yes it does take a little longer for me to clean up, but the good news is that you don't have to worry about zinc.

Leadforbrains
09-11-2008, 09:33 PM
nested: i looked it up for you... it means you have WAY too many lead bars.and as i am a person who has not enough i would love to take aprox half of them.
this would help you,and help me.SEE? WIN- WIN>

UHHH thanks!:-?:drinks:

Leadforbrains
09-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Ex-cell-ent!!!
You are now firmly on the road to casting (in)sanity.

"Nesting" is a form of stacking. I can confirm what a member said, Place the milk crates where you want them to remain; cos' when their full you aint goin' to move them without a LOT of assistance.
Mind you; there is a LOT of people at this site who would help you shift it and they would restack it so neatly, that it would seem that you have less than what you started with. [smilie=1:
John

This is exactly why I love this forum! This is yet another fine example nice and helpful people on this forum wanting to help restructure my lead supply as to maximize my lead storage capabilities![smilie=w:

Just Duke
09-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Woo Hoo!!!!! Great job and thanks for sharing.

Bigjohn
09-12-2008, 01:19 AM
You might want to do away with the plastic buckets; other than for holding water, they don't hold enough material for their capability; in other words; the bottom falls out if you put too many WW or range salvage in them.

I use the boxes that the WW's are delivered in Length 12" by width 8" by depth 4". These have a strengthened end with a wooden handle across each end. Even these are difficult to move when full but they take the abuse. Each holds about thirty pounds.

John.

mold maker
09-12-2008, 02:41 PM
It is range lead and yes it does take a little longer for me to clean up, but the good news is that you don't have to worry about zinc.

And you get all that jacket material to sell/trade for soft lead at the scrap yard.

TAWILDCATT
09-14-2008, 03:16 PM
if you have a trade school near with machine shop you could get the dies made if you pay for the material.I made my own yrs ago when I was working as machinist.
also when I was in Wentworth Inst.:coffee::coffee:[smilie=1: