PDA

View Full Version : 1866 Uberti.

Four Fingers of Death
03-31-2005, 06:21 AM
Got my yella rifle back from the gunsmith today, it arrived early, I was at the counter, in the middle of getting served breakfast at MacDonalds when the freight company rang and said the guy was out the front of my house waiting. I skedalled home and got it tucked away safely. Just in time, I have colonial action match tomorrow (aussie version of cowboy action, one pistola as very few honest people in the colonial days ever packed more than one and we usually only load a max of six rounds in the rifle to accomodate the half mag 92,s which where the main type sold in australia in the old days, dress is slantedntowards our old colonial dress too, but just cowboy shirt, kerchief, hat and jeans for me though). I got the rifle a while ago and have had a few teething problems. It hasn't been used in twenty years and the brass settled, causing the elevator or whatever you call it to bind and then the hammer spring was a bit sad. rearing to go now folks, I'll let you all know how it works out.

Mick.

shooter575
04-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Mick, I have one of the first Uberti. Henrys a 3XX number in 44-40. The action is the same as the 66 as I recall. I havent had any prob with the elevator.Had to replace the extractor though. BTW Brownells has parts in stock for them. I have a buddy that his Henry would not eject. Extractor would slip right over the rim. Those extractors need a bunch of fitting to get them right. I have done two.Might even remember how to next time :roll:
I saw one Henry that a "Cowboy action" shooter had installed little carbide inserts in the rear of the elevator.He sait it was stop wear by the cartridge rim??? I guess some one had problem with this??

Four Fingers of Death
04-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Mick, I have one of the first Uberti. Henrys a 3XX number in 44-40. The action is the same as the 66 as I recall. I havent had any prob with the elevator.Had to replace the extractor though. BTW Brownells has parts in stock for them. I have a buddy that his Henry would not eject. Extractor would slip right over the rim. Those extractors need a bunch of fitting to get them right. I have done two.Might even remember how to next time :roll:
I saw one Henry that a "Cowboy action" shooter had installed little carbide inserts in the rear of the elevator.He sait it was stop wear by the cartridge rim??? I guess some one had problem with this??

That sod of a gun was worse if anything. Looking at it I think the firing pin is hitting off centre and no hard enough some times. 20 misfires!!!!!

I was so frustrated I bought a new 44Mag 1892 Rossi (Puma in US I think) ans a second hand 357 Rossi, which was so cheap I couldn't go past it.

I have been told that the brass settling is only a problem in the first 10years or so and as most guns are used regularly, they wear in as they go and it is not a problem. Mine has sat in a cupboard for 20 odd years.

Nice rifle though, I will give it back to my gunsmith mate with a fewboxes of ammo and won't take it back until he gets it right. I can't blame him for the last job, the hammer was rubbing on the frame and there was minimal tension in the hammer spring. It will be right this time as we are running out of things to fix.

Mick.

Griff
05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
4fingermick,
Try these guys for parts (read spares): www.vtigunparts.com. I had extractor problems with my 20yo 1873 and when I tried to fix it myself, I ruined the bolt. New bolt, and presto, problem fixed. You might also try: manatee@bananariveroutfitters.com for the following:
1 - Stainless Steel Magazine Spring
2 - Aluminum Lifter Block
3 - Short Stroke Kit
Those are on my need to get list when funds are avail. Donations gratefully accepted. :grin: