PDA

View Full Version : replace hardware on SBH from home depot?

Oklahoma Rebel
04-13-2018, 08:25 PM
ok, so I went to take my Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter model grips off today, for a thorough cleaning out of the action. when the grips came off I heard something hit thee floor, and after a little looking, I found the hex type head to one of the top grip frame screws. luckily, it looks like when I take off the whole grip frame, there will be enough of the bolt left to grip with a pair of vice grip pliers. question is, do you think I could take the good bolt to home depot, and find a grade 8 mathing the treads and length, or do I have to go through ruger, wait for who knows how long, and pay more also... and, does anyone have any tips that might make that broken bolt come out easier, so I don't risk breaking it flush, and having to take it to a gunsmith? my only guess is that the screw was over- tightened at the factory, because I haven't touched them, and I got this gun new from grab a gun, and also, I do not shoot heav recoiling loads ( max load I have shot was 21.5grs of 296 over a 275 keith. PLEASE HELP!!! thanks!- Travis

nicholst55
04-13-2018, 08:46 PM
If you call Ruger and describe your issue politely, they will probably send you new screws for free.

As for removing the broken screw, I'd apply some Kroil and let it do it's job for 30 minutes or so, and then clamp the revolver in a padded vise. Clamp the protruding screw with a small Vise-Grip, and try to turn it out. That's assuming there's enough protrusion to grab onto.

bosterr
04-13-2018, 09:15 PM
The exact same happened to me with my BFR .475 Linebaugh. I found out the thread size and ordered from Amazon. I got a half dozen in a matter of a few days. Mine were stainless though.

contender1
04-13-2018, 09:48 PM
Call Ruger,,, you will most likely get the screws for free,, AND pretty quickly.

If you do not have experience in removing a broken off screw,,, a gunsmith may be the safest way to go.

DougGuy
04-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Yep as already said, call Ruger. There are 4 different length screws for most grip frames you will want to let them send you the exact right one.

country gent
04-13-2018, 10:51 PM
Most firearms use NEF threads and hardwares seldom carry them. Brownells or ruger. A local gun shop may have them also.

Drm50
04-13-2018, 11:17 PM
I had this happen to me years ago with my SBH, a 3screw bought new in 64. One of lower frame
screws sheared head off. This was before nylock screws. What I found was the other screw was
loose too. I took frame off and easily backed out screw with small pliers. I bought screws from
Ruger, which had been upgraded to Nylocs by this time. It pays to check your screws before firing
sessions, if one gets loose it will shear the head off. It is possible to shear from over torque, but
all my experience has ended up being the fault of loose screws.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-13-2018, 11:28 PM
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ruger/revolvers-ruger/new-mdl-super-blkhwk?page=4

Texas by God
04-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Ruger has given me free parts a couple of times with just a phone call or letter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Oklahoma Rebel
04-14-2018, 05:42 PM
ok, thanks a lot guys, I am going to go with calling ruger. so I am planning on replacing both upper screws, ( no telling how many times I shot after that head broke off, may have stressed the other one). would you guys recommend the red loc-tite? or would that make things difficult if this were to happen again? at least this is good proof that I am shooting enough! lol, I am going stir crazy not shooting it, but I think it not so wise to shoot it with a missing screw.. have a good'un!-Travis

44MAG#1
04-14-2018, 06:07 PM
Fastenal has many screws.

higgins
04-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Some Ace Hardware stores stock odd size screws that might work. My son was in an older, well-stocked Ace store once looking for something else in the fastener department and saw a drawer labeled "gun screws".

Duckiller
04-14-2018, 06:28 PM
Blue loc-tite will hold the screw in place and allow you to remove it it the future if you need to. Red loc-tite is PERMANENT!

Walter Laich
04-14-2018, 06:58 PM
ACE hardware is now carrying rifle and pistol screws. they're in the 'screws in all those cute drawers' section

lar45
04-14-2018, 07:43 PM
I ordered spare screws from Brownells. Ill have to check out Ace Hardware for the gun screw section

Oklahoma Rebel
04-15-2018, 08:48 PM
thanks for clearing that up, duckkiller! that could turn out bad! while I already e mailed ruger requesting 2 replacement screws, I might check out aces, I could try to get spares for the bottom screws, and maybe the one on the ejector housing too! thanks for the help!-Travis

LUCKYDAWG13
04-15-2018, 08:53 PM
use blue lock tite or even clear nail polish not red lock tite

Mr_Sheesh
04-16-2018, 04:08 AM
If your vise grips are too large to remove the screws, ignition pliers might do instead. (Like water pump pliers but 8-9" long instead of 16" long.) Snap-on or old Craftsman are good, among other brands. I've had vise grips clamping old Craftsman ign. pliers to where I was SURE they'd break, but instead they held & I got the nut off the coil I needed to remove it from...

Oklahoma Rebel
04-17-2018, 06:30 PM
well, I emailed ruger Friday after hours, and today I got an e-mail from them with an order number for replacement screws, FOR FREE!! glad I went that route, and its good to know some companies still take good care of their customers! thanks guys, and,yes, I will be using the blue loc-tite, not the red! lol, just wanted to update you all!

Oklahoma Rebel
04-17-2018, 06:31 PM
PS, I have used regular silicone sealant on bolt threads before, and it seems to work. does anyone have any experience with this keeping screws from backing out on hard kicking 44 mags or other magnum revolvers? thanks!- Travis

lefty o
04-17-2018, 10:08 PM
44mags and stouter will loosen screws even with blue loctite on them. make sure you have screwdrivers that fits the slots properly and just check em once in a while.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-18-2018, 04:12 PM
definitely will do! I will skip the silicone and just use blue loc-tite to be safe, and I will make sure to check after every shooting session! thanks!-Travis

dubber123
04-18-2018, 07:24 PM
definitely will do! I will skip the silicone and just use blue loc-tite to be safe, and I will make sure to check after every shooting session! thanks!-Travis

Don't be too scared of Red Loc-Tite, its easily removable with a little heat. Keeps the screws in my 4-3/4" .475 Linebaugh.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-19-2018, 01:38 PM
did you try the blue stuff with out much success? or did you go with the red from the start?

tunnug
04-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Our local Ace have started to carry gun screws but they keep them under lock&key, the regular bolt section has to be gone through regularly because some people don't pay attention when returning the items while they look for what they need and they end up with a mix of different sizes in the same bin, tough enough with regular screws and bolts, near impossible with those itty bitty bolts.

dubber123
04-19-2018, 11:30 PM
did you try the blue stuff with out much success? or did you go with the red from the start?

Blue works 99% of the time, 440 grain boolits at 1,300+ from a 4-3/4" barrel made this one particularly bad at loosening screws, so I went with Red Loctite.

Virginia John
04-20-2018, 07:07 AM
Blue Lock-tite

Bookworm
04-21-2018, 05:38 AM
When I first got my SBHH, I wondered at my inability to get a group at all. I kept moving closer and closer to the target, but was getting shotgun patterns.
I finally looked closely at the gun itself, and realized the grip frame screws were loose, allowing the rest of the gun to flop around. No wonder I couldn't hit the target.

I tightened the screws, using clear fingernail polish as a thread sealant. It's working fine so far, a couple years later.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-21-2018, 10:41 PM
that's an interesting idea,i might try that, thanks! you are luck the grip frame never worked all the way loose, you might have ended up with the rest of the gun in your teeth! :veryconfu

higgins
04-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Years ago, I had a BH with a front triggerguard screw that kept working loose. I used blule Loctite that held it in place for several years, but you must degrease the screw and the hole for it to really work. I used denatured alcohol, but any other good degreaser like acetone should work too.

Catpop
04-23-2018, 11:07 PM
I also used the “degrease and blue loctite method” on all the scopes mounted through the years in my small rural gun shop- Never had one come loose (that I know of)

Oklahoma Rebel
04-24-2018, 05:04 PM
thanks for letting me know, I wouldn't have thought of that [smilie=b: