PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka 99 front site

ubetcha
04-13-2018, 08:59 AM
Does anyone have an idea on how the front sight is attached to the barrel of a Type 99 Arisaka? I was just at the range and at 100yrs, I'm hitting about 3-4 inch's right of center. I would like to get closer if possible. I have heard that others have moved the front sight but not explained how.

contender1
04-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Ok, I went & looked at mine.
The front sight base is firmly attached to the barrel. It's actual sight blade is dovetailed in the base. So a drift punch should allow you to move the front blade left or right as needed.

ubetcha
04-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Thank you. I will take a look and see what I can do

TCLouis
04-16-2018, 07:45 PM
Be careful with drifting that sight, it really does not take much.

A 8 pound sledge is probably overkill to drift the sight the amount needed and a 3 pounder could be used if handled judiciously . . .

That said . . .

This will allow you to calculate the amount of movement needed.

https://www.realguns.com/calculators/sightadjustment.html

As I remember it took 0.003 front sight movement to move the impact about that much at 50 yds.

I made a Bubba rig using a C-Clamp and a couple of pieces of 3/8 square bar so I could estimate the amount the sight moved by using the thread pitch and amount turned. Does not look like much, but I hit it on the first try so it can be done with rudimentary "tools".

ubetcha
04-20-2018, 08:13 AM
Be careful with drifting that sight, it really does not take much.

A 8 pound sledge is probably overkill to drift the sight the amount needed and a 3 pounder could be used if handled judiciously . . .

That said . . .

This will allow you to calculate the amount of movement needed.

https://www.realguns.com/calculators/sightadjustment.html

As I remember it took 0.003 front sight movement to move the impact about that much at 50 yds.

I made a Bubba rig using a C-Clamp and a couple of pieces of 3/8 square bar so I could estimate the amount the sight moved by using the thread pitch and amount turned. Does not look like much, but I hit it on the first try so it can be done with rudimentary "tools". Thanks guys for the info. I have a front sight pushing tool a friend gave me many years ago. I will give that a try. If that small amount is needed a 50yrds,it probably won't take much more for 100. Just need to move the group a little left.. Thanks again