PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Cheek Chowder

DeputyDuke
04-12-2018, 08:29 PM
I didn't want to divert the oyster stew thread, but it brought this to mind. I had been saving walleye cheeks. For those who have never whittled them out, they are well worth the effort. They are a little chewier than the fillet and I thought I'd make a chowder. I sauteed onion and celery in butter until the onion was translucent. I poured in a 8 oz. bottle of clam juice, rinsed the bottle with 8 oz. of water and added about 4 oz. of dry white wine, and a teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning. I quartered the walleye cheeks and poached them in the liquid. Then I diced up 4 potatoes and adding another 8 oz. of water and put the potatoes in to cook until fork tender. Lastly I poured in a pint of heavy whipping cream and salted and peppered to taste. Served with oyster crackers. I was 100% satisfied with the result.

Duke

MaryB
04-12-2018, 09:43 PM
we used to pound the cheek a little flatter then season, flour, deep fry for appetizers with beer before supper. Or for nights we did a deep fried junk supper... anything that could be deep fried was fair game.

JBinMN
04-13-2018, 01:09 AM
The walleye & jackfish cheeks never made it to being saved for a soup/stew. They get eaten right away with the rest of the filets. So, I will likely never have the chance to try this recipe you shared, but like N.E. clam chowder which I love, I 'd bet I would like it.
:)

Thanks for sharing it!
:)

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2018, 07:50 AM
deap fried whitefish cheeks are about as good as it gets.