PDA

View Full Version : uberti baby rolling block

1Hawkeye
04-12-2018, 08:50 AM
I've been thinking about a baby rolling block in.357 does anyone have one? How do they shoot at 100 yards and further? Thanks

Drm50
04-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Some years ago I had a RB in 357. I never hunted with it other than shooting a few opportunity
groundhogs. Did a good bit of plinking with it and would do ok at 100yds on 2liter jugs. The one
I had was from Navy Arms and I think was made in 1960s.

gunarea
04-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Hey 1Hawkeye
Are you talking about the pistol or rifle? I have the pistol and been shooting it 18 years now. A couple other guys I shoot with also have the Uberti rolling block pistol.
Roy

1Hawkeye
04-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Oops sorry, the rifle

Reverend Al
04-12-2018, 06:51 PM
I bought one of the Uberti .357 baby Rolling Block rifles for my wife to shoot in the side matches at Cowboy Action Shooting events. It shoots well and she enjoys the light recoil. I lucked out and the one I bought has exceptional wood too. Has anyone found a mid-range tang sight that works well on these little rifles? I would like to upgrade the sights.

https://i.imgur.com/e2AoM6o.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HDokZFP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dH2ScUe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FFQ7A34.jpg

rfd
04-15-2018, 06:52 PM
i love rollers. if i wanted/needed one in .357mag i'd get a USA built tippmann ...

http://tippmannarmory.com/rolling-block-357-magnum/

http://cdn7.bigcommerce.com/s-m5h50zg3r0/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/113/392/TP1_1172357_Rolling_Block_left_side__23445.1511205 850.jpg

rfd
04-15-2018, 06:56 PM
... Has anyone found a mid-range tang sight that works well on these little rifles? I would like to upgrade the sights.

check in with lee shaver, he might have just what you need, or could make it ...

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/

1Hawkeye
04-15-2018, 07:49 PM
The lgs has one of the uberti's in excellent condition for 650.00 thats why I'm asking. What I really would like is a roller in .38-55 but the baby in .357 is kinda neat. I looked at the Tippman but they don't look that appealing to me they look a little odd when compared to an original or a reproduction.

Tom W.
04-15-2018, 07:53 PM
I saw one at the range Saturday, but it was a 30/30....tiny little rifle....

50target
04-15-2018, 08:05 PM
I saw one at the range Saturday, but it was a 30/30....tiny little rifle....

Tom, I shot that little rifle later with factory 150gr & recoil was snappy. Or maybe I've become a sissy in my old age. Fit & finish was excellent. Trigger was on the heavy side. Was a Uberti.
Bob

GhostHawk
04-15-2018, 09:39 PM
RFD thank you very much sir, did not know about those.

Wonders if they can make one with a short chunk of rail for a Red Dot?

rfd
04-15-2018, 09:53 PM
look closely at the uberti spex in comparison to the tippmann. in either case, these are plinking/small game guns and neither will be acceptable for most if not all competitions. the uberti may look the 19th century part, but chambering it for a 20th century cartridge blows that away. as with any gun purchase, what matters most is why it's required, for what prime usage.

Eddie Southgate
04-16-2018, 05:40 PM
I want one in .22 Hornet .

bdicki
04-16-2018, 06:25 PM
I want one in .22 Hornet .

I had one in 22 Hornet, barrel was .223 I sold it and wish I didn't.

Walter Laich
04-19-2018, 08:21 PM
The lgs has one of the uberti's in excellent condition for 650.00 thats why I'm asking. What I really would like is a roller in .38-55 but the baby in .357 is kinda neat. I looked at the Tippman but they don't look that appealing to me they look a little odd when compared to an original or a reproduction.

agree shape if off-putting.

Tom W.
04-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Tom, I shot that little rifle later with factory 150gr & recoil was snappy. Or maybe I've become a sissy in my old age. Fit & finish was excellent. Trigger was on the heavy side. Was a Uberti.
Bob

Watcha doing shooting factory ammo? Need to borrow my mold? :kidding:

50target
04-26-2018, 04:29 AM
Watcha doing shooting factory ammo? Need to borrow my mold? :kidding:

Tom, only reason I shot factory ammo was because it was his ammo. The only thing better than shooting your own handloads is someone else's ammo. Store bought or not. LOL
Bob

marlinman93
04-26-2018, 11:37 AM
I bought one of the Uberti .357 baby Rolling Block rifles for my wife to shoot in the side matches at Cowboy Action Shooting events. It shoots well and she enjoys the light recoil. I lucked out and the one I bought has exceptional wood too. Has anyone found a mid-range tang sight that works well on these little rifles? I would like to upgrade the sights.

Agree with rfd! The Lee Shaver Economy Soule would be perfect for your wife's Roller. It's about $225 and just need to measure the tang sight spacing to determine if it's original Rem. spacing of 1.93" Or maybe Stevens 1.5", or other?

1Hawkeye
04-26-2018, 02:04 PM
The baby rolling blocks aren't drilled for a tang sight. That's one of the reasons I passed on the one I was looking at.

Reverend Al
04-26-2018, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't be adverse to drilling and tapping another hole for a tang sight if it's needed. I'll contact Lee Shaver and see what they advise ...

UKShootist
04-26-2018, 03:01 PM
In the gun shop where I do a couple of days a week helping out we currently have a Pedersoli rolling block in .357 for sale. It has a heavy octagonal barrel, and a pistol hand butt which carries a tang sight. It looks magnificent. The owner (it's a commission sale) says it's good for 300 yards. If it wasn't so pricey I'd have it just to look at.

marlinman93
04-26-2018, 04:58 PM
The baby rolling blocks aren't drilled for a tang sight. That's one of the reasons I passed on the one I was looking at.

Anyone with a hand drill and a set of taps can D&T for a tang sight if they know how to use the tools. I use a drill press now, but I used to do them by hand and never had a problem.

Reverand Al,
Considering they don't have holes, I'd tap it for standard Remington 1.93 spacing. Does the Uberti have the curved top tang like the original Remington #2 has? If so, the base may also need to get a slight bend to match the curve. Had to do that when I mounted a tang sight to my original #2. It was D&T, but had plug screws in the holes.

https://i.imgur.com/hWTa27Ul.jpg

Reverend Al
04-27-2018, 02:57 AM
OK, I'll have to go and dig my wife's out of the gun safe and have a look to see if the top tang is straight or curved ...

Chev. William
04-27-2018, 11:02 AM
That Tippmann Action only offering has me drooling!
Tested to 52,000psi Pmax MAP so it is strong enough for my range of cartridge choices!
And At $400.00 is close to my Range, Now IF I can gather up enough to buy one? Being retired on Social Security is sometimes frustrating.
Chev. William

marlinman93
04-27-2018, 12:54 PM
That Tippmann Action only offering has me drooling!
Tested to 52,000psi Pmax MAP so it is strong enough for my range of cartridge choices!
And At $400.00 is close to my Range, Now IF I can gather up enough to buy one? Being retired on Social Security is sometimes frustrating.
Chev. William

If you get a Tippman Roller, maybe you can trim some off that ugly hammer! It looks like a spear point sticking out there so far!

1Hawkeye
04-27-2018, 05:22 PM
I agree about the hammer spur and wasn't to wild about the thumb tab on the block either, Compared to an original it has kinda a shop project look about it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.

marlinman93
04-28-2018, 01:43 PM
I agree about the hammer spur and wasn't to wild about the thumb tab on the block either, Compared to an original it has kinda a shop project look about it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.

I agree, but side by side with an original design Roller, the Tippman looks even less attractive!

ulav8r
05-03-2018, 03:00 PM
At least the Tippman can be improved by removing metal rather requiring metal to be added.

Toymaker
05-03-2018, 04:41 PM
219796 May I suggest Ron Heilman Soule sights? I have three sets and love them. Other locals have purchased them too and find them to be excellent. He's supposed to have a web site, but I don't have the address. His phone number is on the pamphlet. Give him a shout. Everyone I know has found him to be very helpful

ndnchf
05-03-2018, 06:27 PM
I love tang sights, they really help my aging eyes. That Uberti is a fine rifle, and a fairly good copy of the #2 Remington rolling block. I have seven rolling blocks, three are #2. I'm quite fond of them. They are a really nice size. I've found that a Marbles or Lyman tang sight is just the right size for them. Unless you are shooting at extreme range or competition, those big vernier sights seem kind of overkill. For plinking, small game or informal target shooting, you would be well served by a Marbles or Lyman. Size wise, the look good too.

marlinman93
05-03-2018, 06:59 PM
I ran out of elevation quickly with the Lyman tang sight that was on my #2 in .32-20! I love stretching the legs on my #2 and I do have a taller sight than I need, but it was a reasonably priced sight and I'd rather have a little too tall than not enough sight. I've taken my .32-20 out to 500 yds. with this sight, and still had plenty left if my #2 could handle a heavier bullet. It gets a bit unpredictable past 500 yds. with cross winds.
I think the #2 Rolling Block is the handsomest variation Remington built! The scalloped receivers and curved tangs are really classy!

Reverend Al
05-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Now there's a great idea! And they do look like they "belong" don't they? I'll go digging since I'm fairly sure that I still have an old Lyman tang sight in my parts stash. What did you install for a front sight? I'm thinking that a Lyman 17a might work OK for casual target shooting rather than a higher end aperture front sight with a spirit level? Hmmm ...

I love tang sights, they really help my aging eyes. That Uberti is a fine rifle, and a fairly good copy of the #2 Remington rolling block. I have seven rolling blocks, three are #2. I'm quite fond of them. They are a really nice size. I've found that a Marbles or Lyman tang sight is just the right size for them. Unless you are shooting at extreme range or competition, those big vernier sights seem kind of overkill. For plinking, small game or informal target shooting, you would be well served by a Marbles or Lyman. Size wise, the look good too.

ndnchf
05-04-2018, 06:39 AM
I kept the original front sights. With the tang sight, I get a crisp front sight picture. The two rifle shown above are in .32-20 and .32 extra long rimfire. I shoot them both a fair bit. The .32-20 is a little more accurate than the .32 XL rimfire because of its plain base bullet vs the heel bullet. But both are a joy to shoot. The original front sights are fine for my use which is limited to 100 yards or less.

marlinman93
05-04-2018, 10:22 AM
My #2 came to me with a Beches combination sight, so that's what I use. Mostly flipped up to use it as a globe sight with a fine post.

ndnchf
05-06-2018, 05:05 PM
My #2 came to me with a Beches combination sight, so that's what I use. Mostly flipped up to use it as a globe sight with a fine post.

That's a sweet front sight. A very popular and practical sight of the period.

marlinman93
05-06-2018, 05:16 PM
That's a sweet front sight. A very popular and practical sight of the period.

Yes, I like them. The ones for a wide Rolling Block front dovetail are pretty rarely seen!