PDA

View Full Version : my wish from Ruger

canuck4570
04-12-2018, 08:06 AM
I hope that Ruger makes a no 1 in 4570 with a octoganal 30 inches or so
modified safety so you could mount a vernier sight and globe front

brass410
04-12-2018, 08:20 AM
I would be all over that faster than you could say "make it mine" 38-55 would be fun too

flint45
04-12-2018, 11:04 AM
I would like that all so just change barrel half oct. half round. and one in .50-70 with a 24 in.barrel and express sights the .50-70 is fun to play with. Good pig stopper!

1Hawkeye
04-12-2018, 11:05 AM
One of each please ��

marlinman93
04-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Your description of a perfect Ruger is exactly what I've described to Ruger reps whenever I saw them at an NRA convention or anywhere I saw them. They always seem interested, but nothing ever comes of it. I personally think a 30" octagon or half octagon in .45-70 and .38-55 would be a huge seller. Unsure what the factory could do about a tang sight, but it would require an offset safety, and a special base to straddle the safety so a tang sight could mount on that base.
Wish they'd actually do this instead of just smiling and patronizing the suggestions given.

square butte
04-12-2018, 11:59 AM
30-40, 25-20, and 32-20 are my wishes

pertnear
04-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Actually, I'm surprised that some enterprising guy hasn't invented an after market safety & vernier adapter plate for the #1. Anyone have a design in mind?

:wink::-D:wink:

Drm50
04-12-2018, 01:42 PM
You would think Ruger would see the market for the older big bore cartridges. Most guys into this
would be the type who wants Tang Sights, if they are like me. They could adapt a tang that would
mount on reciever. I have a original like that on a Rolling Block. That way the safety could be left
as is and not be a addition design change cost. Then again Ruger may not think they could sell
enough of them to profit. They can barrel and chamber a run very easily. That redesigned safety
would cost.

1Hawkeye
04-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Could the rail on a #1 be modified to use a ruff & ready sight like Remington put on some rolling blocks back in the day? Mva still makes the sight. While not a true tang sight it wouldn't require a tang or a safety relocation.

marlinman93
04-12-2018, 06:48 PM
I've seen tang sights done on a Ruger #1 that retain the safety, and they were as I described. The original safety had material added to the right side to extend it to the right. Then a simple base was made to straddle the safety and that base was D&T to accept standard tang sights. The two I've seen used a Ballard 1.125" spacing and a Stevens 1.5" spacing. It matters not which, as long as it spans the safety. The tang sight screws were long enough to go through the adapter base so the two screws that mounted the sight also held the base that straddles the safety. Very clean, and simple.

A rough and ready sight wont usually be close enough to your eye to get a great sight picture for extremely accurate competitive shooting. It's a great hunting or plinking sight, but not a serious target sight.

Chev. William
04-13-2018, 05:57 PM
I can relate to your ideas; but I am hoping for a 'Standard Automatic' in .25ACP with a 6" or even longer Barrel.
I believe The .25ACP is neglected and wasted in the stubby barrels most available pistols are delivered with.
in a Longer barrel, it does Improve its accuracy and Varmint shooting prowess.
Also, in a Rifle It could be a quiet vermin eliminator and as a hand loaded cartridge with higher Pmax MAP and powder optimized for Rifle length barrels, it could give loadable accurate but quiet .22LR replacements for 'Pot Meat' Hunters.

Chev. William

Bad Ass Wallace
04-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Sorry, Ruger your just to slow to market desireables

https://i.imgur.com/6KviTv1.jpg

nicholst55
04-13-2018, 08:43 PM
30-40, 25-20, and 32-20 are my wishes

The .30-40 has been done within the past few years, IIRC.

marlinman93
04-13-2018, 10:06 PM
I can relate to your ideas; but I am hoping for a 'Standard Automatic' in .25ACP with a 6" or even longer Barrel.
I believe The .25ACP is neglected and wasted in the stubby barrels most available pistols are delivered with.
in a Longer barrel, it does Improve its accuracy and Varmint shooting prowess.
Also, in a Rifle It could be a quiet vermin eliminator and as a hand loaded cartridge with higher Pmax MAP and powder optimized for Rifle length barrels, it could give loadable accurate but quiet .22LR replacements for 'Pot Meat' Hunters.

Chev. William

I'd just hope the little .25acp could have enough oomph to get the slug to the end of a rifle barrel!

After seeing what a .25acp did to an intruder when my brother in law shot him in the face at point blank range, I wouldn't trust it for squirrels! The guy got hit on the right side of his chin, and grabbed his face and ran away. The cops found him an hour later at the emergency room of a local hospital and arrested him. The bullet hit his chin, and deflected along his jaw bone. It stopped just short of his ear where the surgeon removed it. They gave him something for discomfort and hauled him off to jail.
My brother in law went out the next day and bought a 9mm to replace the .25acp. Smart choice.

Chev. William
04-14-2018, 12:18 AM
I'd just hope the little .25acp could have enough oomph to get the slug to the end of a rifle barrel!

After seeing what a .25acp did to an intruder when my brother in law shot him in the face at point blank range, I wouldn't trust it for squirrels! The guy got hit on the right side of his chin, and grabbed his face and ran away. The cops found him an hour later at the emergency room of a local hospital and arrested him. The bullet hit his chin, and deflected along his jaw bone. It stopped just short of his ear where the surgeon removed it. They gave him something for discomfort and hauled him off to jail.
My brother in law went out the next day and bought a 9mm to replace the .25acp. Smart choice.

I did NOT claim Current USA Factory .25ACP Loads are Long range Varmint or Vermin Cartridges. There is recorded Testing Data on use of Factory .25ACP in barrels up to 18 inches in length with Muzzle velocity measured at over 900fps.

I DID say that a Rifle length barrel With a Hand Load .25ACP Would be good to use.
I have Fired .25ACP hand loaded with 1.89 grains of Bullseye behind a 63 Grain Lead RF bullet from a 10-5/8 inch barreled Revolver that chronographed at 1224fps average.

Considering that the Factory loads are either 50 grain FMJ, or 35Grain JHP, I can understand the problem with taking down an Attacker.

Now, would you like to volunteer to be shot with a Sized down to .251" diameter Hornady #2510 60 grain JSFP propelled by ~2.5 grains of BE-86 and seated to a overall length of .905" out of my Revolver? I seriously doubt it!
This does leave lovely round holes in my targets.

A different set of conditions that most likely would leave the Miscreant Much Less Willing to stand up for more.

Chuckling,
Chev. William

Dan Cash
04-14-2018, 08:53 AM
I, personally, would remove the safety from the #1 if I wanted to use it as a long range black powder target rifle for casual matches or gong shoots. On the target range, the safety is not used and the thumb piece interferes with ejection. If you wish to hunt the rifle, a tang sight is not needed thus the safety issue is moot. As the NRA does not allow hammerless rifles in their BPCR matches, the market is severly curtailed.

marlinman93
04-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Now, would you like to volunteer to be shot with a Sized down to .251" diameter Hornady #2510 60 grain JSFP propelled by ~2.5 grains of BE-86 and seated to a overall length of .905" out of my Revolver? I seriously doubt it!
This does leave lovely round holes in my targets.

A different set of conditions that most likely would leave the Miscreant Much Less Willing to stand up for more.

Chuckling,
Chev. William

Well I wont volunteer to be shot with a BB gun, so it's irrelevant. I do understand the .25acp, just like numerous anemic rounds, can be loaded much hotter, especially in a different action. But in my opinion I'd rather spend my time and money on a better .25 CF cartridge, and there are several that would outperform a .25acp if we're simply talking better actions and hand loads. I'd choose the old .25-20WCF over the .25acp any day.

Chev. William
04-15-2018, 12:31 AM
Well I wont volunteer to be shot with a BB gun, so it's irrelevant. I do understand the .25acp, just like numerous anemic rounds, can be loaded much hotter, especially in a different action. But in my opinion I'd rather spend my time and money on a better .25 CF cartridge, and there are several that would outperform a .25acp if we're simply talking better actions and hand loads. I'd choose the old .25-20WCF over the .25acp any day.

Understandable and reasonable; but then i don't have a .25-20WCF Chambered revolver or rifle and my revolver has a '6,25 Browning' dimensioned Bore and Groove diameters.
http://ammoguide.com/gfx/ctgs/diag/sae/118.gif
.25-20WCF max OAL is 1.592" and uses .257" Diameter bullets

That is why I also am working with Longer Straight Walled (untapered) 'wildcats of the .25 ACP diameter and Bullet diameters.
The ACP is nominal .615" long.
The ALR is nominal .960" long.
The MACP is nominal 1.055" long.
The ALS is nominal 1.125" long.
The ALRM is nominal 1.260" long.
The above Are Case Lengths.
All are CF Designs made from either.22 Hornet or 5.7x28mm Cases by Swaging the Body and Base down to .278" max. Diameter but leaving the rim alone; except for Thinning and diameter reductions on the .22 Hornet rims.

My revolver limits my Cartridge Over All Lengths (OAL) to 1.400" and my loading Pmax MAP to about 25,000psi to 30,000psi.

Chev. William

cosmoline one
04-15-2018, 06:54 PM
I'v always wanted a 7.62x54r single shot(.308 ")

rfd
04-15-2018, 07:18 PM

never gonna happen. that market is already well covered onshore (shiloh, c-sharps, etc) and offshore (pedersoli) with guns that are 19th century replicas made for a vernier soule tang sight and spirit globe front sight. i like ruger guns, have more than a few, but attempting to make a #1 into something it clearly can't be without some serious design changes, that would appeal only to a micro market, and that could never be used in competitions by the bpcr/bptr crew, well, you can see where this is going ... nowhere. but dreaming can be fun and not cost much. :)

Dryball
04-16-2018, 02:18 AM
I whish they'd make a Ruger with the side lever conversion. I'd be in for one of those for sure.

rfd
04-16-2018, 06:27 AM
I whish they'd make a Ruger with the side lever conversion. I'd be in for one of those for sure.

you mean like a remington hepburn side lever?

if so, man, you are seriously dreaming about something that'll only happen when hell freezes over .....

Beerd
04-16-2018, 08:02 AM
As the NRA does not allow hammerless rifles in their BPCR matches, the market is severly curtailed.

And that is why Ruger ain't gonna do it.

marlinman93
04-16-2018, 11:07 AM
While I dearly love Hepburn rifles, I can't say a side lever is much good for extracting any case that has much resistance to leave the chamber. They are fantastic for bech shooting where I never need to roll the gun on it's side to extract a case though.
I think with others building Hepburn clones now, I doubt Ruger would ever consider expanding their limited production of the #1 to include a side lever version.

rfd
04-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Maw, at the grocery store, meat market aisle, with her trusty Remington-Hepburn in one hand and a Jim Bowie in t'other. Pricelessly classic. An era, a lifestyle, and a people long gone and most likely never to return.

https://i.imgur.com/oSt98h5.png

3leggedturtle
04-16-2018, 01:58 PM
She is a lady you would really want to be on her good side. What a great pic. Todd/3leg

canuck4570
04-16-2018, 04:31 PM
I, personally, would remove the safety from the #1 if I wanted to use it as a long range black powder target rifle for casual matches or gong shoots. On the target range, the safety is not used and the thumb piece interferes with ejection. If you wish to hunt the rifle, a tang sight is not needed thus the safety issue is moot. As the NRA does not allow hammerless rifles in their BPCR matches, the market is severly curtailed.

in one competition a shooter came with a ruger no 1 with tank sight and the range officer told that the rifle does not qualifie since no hammer

the shooter red the rule on this and it stipulate that a rifle with visible hammer are allowed but it does not say how much of the tiger has to be visible and the shooter showed the small part of the hammer that is visible on the ruger and won is point....... so he was allowed to shoot

marlinman93
04-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Maw, at the grocery store, meat market aisle, with her trusty Remington-Hepburn in one hand and a Jim Bowie in t'other. Pricelessly classic. An era, a lifestyle, and a people long gone and most likely never to return.

https://i.imgur.com/oSt98h5.png

That picture is actually much newer. The husband and wife team were avid hunters and photographers in the 1940's through I believe 1960's? The picture was posted on the ASSRA forum last fall with details of the couple and her successful mule deer hunt.

rfd
04-16-2018, 04:49 PM
in one competition a shooter came with a ruger no 1 with tank sight and the range officer told that the rifle does not qualifie since no hammer

the shooter red the rule on this and it stipulate that a rifle with visible hammer are allowed but it does not say how much of the tiger has to be visible and the shooter showed the small part of the hammer that is visible on the ruger and won is point....... so he was allowed to shoot

NOT gonna happen in the USA at my matches or most folks registered matches.

No matter what, the Ruger #1 to #3 are NOT a 19th century rifle designs.

the ONLY 20th century rifle STYLE allowed at 99.9% of all events is the CPA Stevens 44-1/2.

country gent
04-16-2018, 05:02 PM
The Sharps Brochardt is a rifle of the correct era and its banned also due to no hammer. Its just the way it is.
There are conversions of the Remington Rolling block to a side lever to open the block. I believe you still have to cock the hammer by hand first though. On the number 1 cocking the striker, lowering the block and ejecting the cartridge case may be a lot of force on the lever to accomplish. My Hepurn takes a pretty good push on the lever to get the case out enough to remove it with out hooking it with a finger nail to slide it out a little more. ( C Sharps repo in 45-90). I like the looks of the side lever and the ease of it from prone and the bench also. I am going to do a roller when the shop is up and going for a project and may convert it to side lever also.

Chill Wills
04-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Tho well meaning, I think you two are spreading fake news :oops::razz:
The Sharps Brochardt and the Ruger #3 & #1 are able to compete in all NRA Black Powder Target Rifle matches.

oscarflytyer
04-16-2018, 11:27 PM

Oh **** - that would DESTROY my gun fun funds for about 3 years! I do have basically something close. Husqvarna Rem RB 18" hvy Rnd bbl with Vernier and globe front (which I need to replace with bubble globe front)!

rfd
04-17-2018, 06:35 AM
Tho well meaning, I think you two are spreading fake news :oops::razz:
The Sharps Brochardt and the Ruger #3 & #1 are able to compete in all NRA Black Powder Target Rifle matches.

yes, the NRA has gone the way of the NMLRA, much to the disgust of many.

Don McDowell
04-17-2018, 09:14 AM
yes, the NRA has gone the way of the NMLRA, much to the disgust of many.

Well actually the Ruger and other hammerless rifles have been legal in NRA BPTR since the rules were reinvented. The Borchardt actually went out of production in 1880, and why it was left out of the legal rifles when they came up with the BPCR silhouette rules is something of a quandary.

marlinman93
04-17-2018, 11:22 AM
This whole hammer vs. hammerless rule is stupid, and has always caused hard feelings amongst Sharps Borchardt owners who wanted to compete with their old guns. Considering almost every competition uses chamber flags and doesn't rely on hammers to indicate if a gun is safe, it never made any sense.

Don McDowell
04-17-2018, 11:27 AM
The Borchardt rule is a puzzle, as by the end of the Creedmoor range and even carrying into Sea Grist, the majority of people using Sharps rifles were shooting the Borchardt.

Chill Wills
04-17-2018, 12:44 PM
This whole hammer vs. hammerless rule is stupid, and has always caused hard feelings amongst Sharps Borchardt owners who wanted to compete with their old guns. Considering almost every competition uses chamber flags and doesn't rely on hammers to indicate if a gun is safe, it never made any sense.

I understand your point of view. However, if you are an NRA competitor, you know it is just the sanctioned NRA BPCR silhouette matches that have the 1896 rule and the additional rule about hammers. All other matches either allow them or if not, it is a local match/rule. All NRA and international matches have no such rules for "BPCR target rifle" competition.

Disclaimer; I hope I have been clear enough to not have someone reading this respond 'our bla-bla match down here" doesn't let this rifle or that rifle action play! What goes on at someone's 'one-off' match is up to them. I hear a lot of opinions on rules expressed from people that have never attended one of these sanctioned matches. Please come and shoot one time! Loading BP is not hard. You will be pleased and have fun. We are a very friendly bunch!

marlinman93
04-17-2018, 04:00 PM
It is not just NRA BPCR matches that have this rule. There are a number of long range dinger shoots that also do not allow hammerless guns. I realize these may not be NRA sanctioned, or affiliated to a national organization, but there are others. See SASS Long Rang Rifle rules. Or MRPA rules. Or, etc., etc.
I think most of those who don't allow hammerless guns are doing so because they like a certain look to the guns on their line. It certainly isn't because a Borchardt or Ruger is unsafe without a hammer.

Chill Wills
04-17-2018, 04:55 PM
:razz::razz::razz::razz:
Yes.
:razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:
I don't know how else to say it.

Don McDowell
04-17-2018, 07:42 PM
The major gong matches, Badlands, Quigley, Baker, Ekalaka, Tensleep, and Alliance all allow for "hammerless" rifles.

rfd
04-17-2018, 07:51 PM
at the quigley, i guess it's how one defines "traditional" ...

"Any traditional single-shot or lever action rifle, .375 caliber or larger (lever actions must be single loaded)."