PDA

View Full Version : Opening up a Star sizer die

Jack Stanley
09-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I have a Star sizer die for .357" and need one at .359" . Who does a good job at opening them up or would I be money ahead calling Magma engineering and getting a new one ?

Thanks , Jack

deltaenterprizes
09-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Sell yours buy a new one.By the time you pay shipping back and forth and the cost of opening it up you will have spent almost the cost of a new one. There is a member on this board that makes copies of the Star dies,I dont know the price.

leftiye
09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
DIY. Buckshot does them, and also posted this technique - Get a dowel or metal rod (I like the metal rod - I saw them in half lengthwise part way, ie. split them, and put the edge of a piece of sandpaper in the slot) which is small enough to fit into the die with sand paper wrapped around it, and long enough to hold one end in each hand. Put the sandpaper and rod inside the die, hold one end in each hand and roll it back and forth on your thigh. Use a rod of the correct size desired, and sanded slightly undersized as a pin gauge to test for size. You must clean the die very thoroughly before testing for size or else the grit will stop the gauge from entering until you are way oversize. Stop grinding it out when you are a little undersize, and test by sizing a boolit, and then open up further if necessary.