PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1903 32acp?

LIMPINGJ
09-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I have liked this model since a friend in highschool let me shoot his. I have the money now and would like to get one. Would I ruin the value of one if I bought one in the collector range and shot it some? Or would I be better off buying one that is sound on the inside with a nice bore and just have it restored on the outside. I like to shoot what I have so I guess I am not going to be a good collector.

Geraldo
09-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I had a 1924 vintage '03 Colt .32 that was in excellent shape, but it was nothing special or rare so I shot it. That didn't affect its value when I got rid of it, but frankly I'd have shot it no matter what. I shot Silvertips and some ball ammo in it, and it ran well with either one. Recoil is almost non-existent as it's a heavy pistol for the caliber.

If you want the ultimate 1903/1908 carry pistol, Novak's has done some custom work on them.

leadeye
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm with Geraldo on that one. I have a 1908 that I shot off and on years ago, nice looking gun, fun to shoot and a part of American history. I don't get it out much anymore as the small sights are harder to see now.

9.3X62AL
09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Years ago, I took one of these in on a trade. What a slick, concealable, snag-free design this is! Its bore was kinda rough due to effects of corrosive priming and indifferent care, but it shot FMJs well enough. This was my first 32 ACP, and a lot more followed. The little Colt started the self-loading side of my mid-caliber love affair that continues to this day after 30-some years. I gave the pistol to a friend, and he rebuilt and refinished the piece with a matte surface and new barrel. He still carries it as a back-up/off-duty arm with Silvertips on board.

kingstrider
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
My buddy has one in nickel with real pearl grips I'd love to get my paws on. He knows what its worth though so I'm still looking!

Bret4207
09-11-2008, 06:20 PM
If you find a museum quality piece then no, don't fire it. But I've seen a lot of them and most suffered from everyday wear and tear. I'd find a fair one at a sane price and enjoy myself. I believe Julian Hatcher or one of the older gun writers had target sights installed on one and did some nice work.

EMC45
09-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Had one in .380(1908) Got rid of it like a fool. Wish I still had it!

jdgabbard
09-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I still know were there is a 1908 in .38 automatic. Not to be confused with .380acp. I don't know what the differences are. And at first assumed that they were one and the same. The friend that works at the store quickly informed me that they were very different. Price was pretty good on it, if my memory serves me correctly. I think it the $500-700 range and the thing looked to be mint!

KCSO
09-16-2008, 03:13 PM
See the movie The Killlers, Robert Taylor like his.