PDA

View Full Version : Don't make the same mistake as me (9mm bulge buster)

Cowboy_Dan
04-11-2018, 11:29 AM
So, recently I purchased a bulge buster kit and a 9mm Luger FCD. I've had a few 9mm cases that had given me some trouble, presumably all range pickup brass. So I go to push a piece that refused to enter my gauge after sizing through my bulge busting setup and I remark how difficult it was to push it all the way through. I decide to lubethe next one. And again notice the difficulty of pushing it through.

At this point I disassemble the bulge buster. The two pieces of brass show sizing down the entire length, even the rim and mid-body are shiny from sizing. A micrometer verifies that the base has been sized to .381 (spec is .391). A look inside the 9mm FCD shows an oversize carbide section with a slightly visible taper. At this point I turn to the internets and discover the a 9mm Makarov FCD is what is used to bust bulges in 9mm Luger brass.

The two pieces of (now undersized) range brass are destined for the scrap heap. Learn from my mistake.

Walkingwolf
04-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Bulge buster will not work with a 9mm FCD, the case is tapered. Not sure if it still does but the Lee site used to have information to this fact. If you want to resize the bulge on 9mm use a 9X18 Mak FCD. Base diameter is .392 inch.

Honestly though there is such a big supply of 9mm brass that if a case falls outside of spec, toss them. Use a case gauge to determine if they are good to go.

stubshaft
04-11-2018, 01:03 PM
To use the FCD for a 9mm Para you have to use the 9mm Markarov FCD.

dverna
04-11-2018, 01:32 PM
The reason I got the 9mm Mak FCD was to run all my range pick up 9mm Luger brass through instead of checking each case. I have 6000 cases to process. Haven’t started yet as I have over 2000 good cases still

Walter Laich
04-11-2018, 06:29 PM
good to know

BUT

still have too much to worry about finding 9mm yet