PDA

View Full Version : Carbide sizer.

looseprojectile
09-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I am loading a lot of .45 auto and .45 Colt.
Had a good idea. Use the .45 auto carbide sizer on the .45 Colt.
Not so good. The .45 auto die is way smaller than even a new .45 Colt case.
Is this why my .45 auto shells look like an hour glass? Should I try to get a larger carbide sizer for both?
My .45 Colt die is not carbide. I have always thought that the brass was being sized way too small in the carbide die as it also has to be expanded a bunch after sizing. May be as much as five or six thousands too small. Been suffering all these years.
What to do? Do they make a green stone to fit the Dremel? I have a bunch of diamond rotary tools for the Dremel. Can carbide then be polished?

So I says to self," Buckshot has done this".

Life is good

Shiloh
09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
What about a new die??

If you are to attempt to open it up, wouldn't a lathe be better? Unless you have a lathe or know a machinist, I would think a new die would be the way to go.

Shiloh

Shiloh
09-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry for the double post!! Beats me!!!

Shiloh

looseprojectile
09-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Shiloh;
Have lathe, need ideas on tooling. Even if it costs more I like to do it myself.:-D
Life is good

anachronism
09-08-2008, 09:56 PM
All of my carbide dies are a bit on the small side, by your standards. I find it desirable, since the bullets fit snugly without heavy crimping. The "snake swallowing a pig" look is unappealing to some, but it does not bother me at all. It doesn't hurt a thing, and brass life seems unaffected.

KYCaster
09-08-2008, 10:43 PM
I am loading a lot of .45 auto and .45 Colt.
Had a good idea. Use the .45 auto carbide sizer on the .45 Colt.
Not so good. The .45 auto die is way smaller than even a new .45 Colt case.
Is this why my .45 auto shells look like an hour glass? Should I try to get a larger carbide sizer for both?
My .45 Colt die is not carbide. I have always thought that the brass was being sized way too small in the carbide die as it also has to be expanded a bunch after sizing. May be as much as five or six thousands too small. Been suffering all these years.
What to do? Do they make a green stone to fit the Dremel? I have a bunch of diamond rotary tools for the Dremel. Can carbide then be polished?

So I says to self," Buckshot has done this".

Life is good

Dillon or Redding die by any chance? If so it's ~.010 undersized.

Get a Lee sizing die...may not shoot any better but they'll look great!!!:-D

I don't like the hour glass look either, or the huge radius at the bottom of the die.

Jerry

enfieldphile
09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Get a Lee sizing die...may not shoot any better but they'll look great!!!:-D Jerry

Jerry said it right: Get a LEE carbide sizing die, you'll be happy w/ the look of your brass. :castmine: