PDA

View Full Version : I知 gettin ready to cast more boolits

Gundogblue
04-09-2018, 05:30 PM
I知 gettin ready to cast more boolits, and I致e read that a lot of guys use a hot plate to warm up the mould before casting. I just got a hot plate for that reason, and am wondering what setting on the hot plate to use to warm up the mould, and how long should the mould stay on the hot plate?
Thanks,
Paul

Mike W1
04-09-2018, 05:57 PM
I'd suppose the setting on the hotplate would vary from one to another as would the desired temperature of the mould from one to another. You'll have to experiment on that. On my own with one particular mould that likes to cast at about 320ー I set my PID at 390ー and in the roughly 20 minutes it takes the pot to get up to temperature then the mould is also where I want it.

So when I'm not actually casting bullets the mould sits on the hot plate while I'm refilling the pot, etc. My experience thus far indicates the mould will stay hot that way though not necessarily full casting temperature. That mould will however give up good bullets at temperatures between 300 - 340ー.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-09-2018, 11:44 PM
I have a really old coil type single burner hot plate. I put an old saw blade on the coil so I don't get a hot spot on part of the mold, I also put a old steel coffee can over the mold, to hold the heat in, like an oven.

The control knob is marked "Low", "Med", and "high". There are two hash marks between each word.
I set mine at one hash mark above "Low" and the mold takes about 20 minutes to heat up...about the same amount of time as it takes my Lee bottom pour furnace to get up to temperture.

I suspect that doesn't help you much? But what I should say, is you probably need to do some experimenting.

JBinMN
04-10-2018, 02:42 AM
Yep. you are gonna have to experiment with the dial setting.

G'Luck!
:)

Walter Laich
04-10-2018, 08:40 AM
I have a really old coil type single burner hot plate. I put an old saw blade on the coil so I don't get a hot spot on part of the mold, I also put a old steel coffee can over the mold, to hold the heat in, like an oven.

The control knob is marked "Low", "Med", and "high". There are two hash marks between each word.
I set mine at one hash mark above "Low" and the mold takes about 20 minutes to heat up...about the same amount of time as it takes my Lee bottom pour furnace to get up to temperture.

I suspect that doesn't help you much? But what I should say, is you probably need to do some experimenting.

we must have the same hotplate; that's my setting too
a wallyworld purchase

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-10-2018, 10:34 AM
I have a really old coil type single burner hot plate
...SNIP

we must have the same hotplate; that's my setting too
a wallyworld purchase

well, mine is a vintage unit with beautiful green enamel finish (circa 1970s) made by "Cornwall". It WAS purchased this decade, it still has the $1 goodwill price tag on it, but I'm quite sure I had a 50% off coupon when I bought it, LOL.

Sagebrush7
04-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Jon I hope you walked up to the cashier backwards !

well, mine is a vintage unit with beautiful green enamel finish (circa 1970s) made by "Cornwall". It WAS purchased this decade, it still has the $1 goodwill price tag on it, but I'm quite sure I had a 50% off coupon when I bought it, LOL.

D Crockett
04-10-2018, 11:04 AM
another thing you can do is dip the corner of the mold in hot lead for 15 to 20 sec that will help it get to casting temp to I have been doing that for years D Crockett