PDA

View Full Version : Electrolytic Rust Removal Question

jameslovesjammie
09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, I screwed up. I left two of my favorite moulds out in my shed after using them a couple of days ago. It has since rained, and even though I had them covered, I rested them on a towel that aparently was not. The towel sucked in a bunch of rain water from my leaky shed and now I have some rusty moulds.

I would like to try electrolysis to remove the rust. Can I run a jumper wire from one mould to the other, or do I have to do each part seperately? Do I even need a jumper, or would the solution be charged?

Should the moulds be blued after doing this? I would assume it would strip any type of bluing finish off in the process.

Thanks again,
James

dominicfortune00
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Try soaking them in Ballistol.

It will remove the rust and leave the blue, if any.

Never tried electrolytic rust removal, so I offered advice on something in my realm of experience.

Good Luck

imashooter2
09-08-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't reblue after. You need a wire to each part being cleaned, but you don't have to do them separately. Here's a quick and dirty rig that's worked for me on a few projects:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/ERR-out.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/ERR-in.jpg

Mattter of fact, I have a pair of diagonal cutters that my wife "forgot" running on that set up right now.

jameslovesjammie
09-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks! That's EXACTLY what I was wanting to hear!

imashooter2
09-08-2008, 08:35 PM
A crappy cell phone pic of the soup just before I pulled the cutters out:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/ERR-cookin.jpg

That's the same strip of cold rolled as in the pictures above. It's pretty much gone below the water line. I'll have to replace it for the next run.

Keep your charger clamps well away from the electrolyte. It'll bubble and mist and corrode the hell out of them. You can see some of it in the picture. Use a vessel larger than you think you need and plenty of water. Especially if you use a larger charger. I have a 10 amp that I hook up sometimes and it'll heat the water and evaporate it. FWIW, I generally just run the motorcycle charger and let it cook longer.

The cutters are pickling in motor oil right now. All the rust was removed from the joint and they open and close freely. It even removed the rust under the dipped plastic grips. You could see it bubbling out of a wear hole in the end. I'm a big fan of ERR.

montana_charlie
09-09-2008, 10:37 AM
A crappy cell phone pic of the soup...
Could you post the 'recipe' for the soup?
CM

imashooter2
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
2 gallons water, 1/4 cup washing soda, 1 cold rolled steel strip, 1 pair rusty diagonal cutters.

Combine ingrediants, cook 24 - 36 hours at 12 volts, 1 amp.

MMMMMMMMM...
:)

handyrandyrc
09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
www.evaporust.com

Best product I've ever used. Restored a shotgun that was completely rusted up, just put the parts in for a soak. Bought myself a gallon for that project. I bought a quart just a while back to soak some smaller parts that needed attention.

montana_charlie
09-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Combine ingrediants, cook 24 - 36 hours at 12 volts, 1 amp.
Sounds like you cook it till the 'flesh' flakes off of the 'bone'...