PDA

View Full Version : Tightening Lyman Expander Plug...

BCB
04-08-2018, 07:05 PM
I am using the Lyman 3-die set to reload the 9mm…

The expander die has a tip that screws onto the stem so it can be changed to expand in different diameters depending on bullet/boolit—this is what I assume…

Regardless, the tip continually works loose and this puts a bell on the case mouth much more than need be…

I have wrapped a rubber glove around the tip and tightened it with a pair of pliers and it still works loose…

Any suggests on how to tighten it so it doesn’t work loose without actually clamping on to the expanding insert and deforming/scratching it…

Thanks…BCB

Wayne Smith
04-09-2018, 07:34 AM
Fingernail polish on the threads - or any non-permanent thread locker.

BCB
04-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Thanks...

I'll give the nail polish a try...

BCB

mdi
04-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Yep, nail polish, superglue and lock tite (red) are considered permanent. But I've used silicone sealant, and rubber cement too, which works in most circumstances and the nut/bolt can still be removed. Try shooting the threads of the stem and plug with brake clean (acetone, lacquer thinner, etc.) and tighten it up. That may hold better without the need for a threat locker...

farmerjim
04-09-2018, 12:12 PM
Blue loctite.

ReloaderFred
04-09-2018, 02:49 PM
I use blue Loc-Tite on all my Lyman M expanders. For tightening, I bought some Nylon jaw non-marring pliers that are made in Japan for that purpose. Works like a charm!

Hope this helps.

Fred

BK7saum
04-09-2018, 04:11 PM
I put a couple wraps of Teflon pipe thread tape on mine, if one tries to loosen up. Haven't had any problems since in multiple calibers.

gray wolf
04-11-2018, 02:00 PM
blue lock-tite and walk away. why full with it.

Larry Gibson
04-11-2018, 03:14 PM
A small lock washer obtained at Ace Hardware works as well and is not permanent.