PDA

View Full Version : Need some Thompson Contender education

Lefty SRH
04-08-2018, 11:41 AM
A found a 10” .357mag Contender for sale at my LGS that seems to be a decent price. I have always been curious about these single shot handguns. Theres a (looks to be) a cougar engraved (stamped) on the side of the receiver/frame. IF I BOUGHT THIS HANDGUN, Is this a model that I could later buy and change out different barrels to shoot different calibers/cartridges?
Thank you.

Lefty SRH
04-08-2018, 11:53 AM
How difficult is it to get a LEFT HANDED grip for this gun? It come with a right handed grip.

RJM52
04-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Yes, there are tons of different barrels you can get for the gun. Look on eBay and GunBroker for used barrels. I live about 4 miles from where the plant used to be before S&W bought them and moved them to Springfield.

As to left hand grips, many of the grips out there are ambidextrous.

Look at the hammer nose...there will be one of three selector switches for moving from rimfire to centerfire. The earliest is what looks like screw on the face of the hammer. The second generation has a crosspin that is pushed from side to side. The third generation has a lever on top of the hammer that flips from side to side...

They are great fun guns and very accurate. Look up Ed's Contenders, Bellm Custom TCs and E. Arther Brown for parts and barrels...

Bob

ps...there is shop near here that has a very clean one with three 10" barrels... .223 with a TC scope, .357 Magnum and a .45 Colt/.410...all for only $700.00...

str8wal
04-08-2018, 12:55 PM
What is the serial number of the gun? The "easy open" era began after 195xxx. Also look at the hammer to see if there is a switch on top to change from rimfire to centerfire. These are of the prefered model/era IMO. There are all kinds of barrel and grip options out there.

Lefty SRH
04-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Looking at it closer the hammer does NOT have the selector for rimfire or centerfire. The srial also starts 260xx it looks like. My interest is fading since theres not RF-CF selector

LUCKYDAWG13
04-08-2018, 07:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Zq5Ltx8Wg

RJM52
04-08-2018, 07:49 PM
If you look at the frame where the firing pin comes through you will see two firing pins...all Contenders have them. From what you are describing that is a first generation gun...the selector is on the face of the hammer... Is the barrel a slim octagon with open sights?

Personally I would pass a gun that early if you are thinking about shooting a lot and getting more barrels...

Bob

jim 44-40
04-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Whatever you do don't dryfire. It, or you might see a piece of the hammer. spur go flying off

Lefty SRH
04-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the help fellas, but I think Im gonna pass on it.

Three44s
04-08-2018, 08:39 PM
I am guessing the safety is on top of the hammer then? A lever you swing left, right and center?

If so you have your selector right there in front of you. Rimfire is to one side and centerfire the opposite side with safety in the center as I recall.

I have two frames, an early and an easy open. Lots of barrels and lots of fun!

Three44s

Three44s
04-08-2018, 08:43 PM
The 357 barrels get gobbled up and rechamber for 357 Maximum, they are pretty popular for that.

Three44s