PDA

View Full Version : primer fail?

parkerhale1200
04-08-2018, 05:13 AM
I hope I post this in the right section?

Two weeks ago I bought primers of Federal (Large Pistol No.150).
My normal and trusted brand is Gynex, but they where sold out
I had never problems with this load or cardridge.
My recipe, D060 25,5 grain, RCBS cast 180gr, own alu GC.
Also with LBT 167gr spits, yes new unprimed brass, trimmed and made a "edge?" to seat the primer more easy, like always.
Gun was as always clean, PH1200 .308win 50 shots session.
I did this recipe for.....10k+ shots?..maybe more
And some 200gr silh from RCBS

So nothing was abnormal, but what happend????

With best regards, Parker Hale

Mike H
04-08-2018, 06:04 AM
The pistol primers are too soft for the pressure,use rifle primers instead of the pistol primers.Your bolt face will thank you.

parkerhale1200
04-08-2018, 09:19 AM
oooooeps.,. that simple:oops:

I thought it was something more complicated, thanks for this eye opener!

I feel really a little ashamed, I must know this, but did not give it any thought....
The other remaining ones I will just shoot, and next week I will have my Gynex primers back.

Thanks for clearing this out.I feel really stupid about this, awel spring is in the air!

earlmck
04-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Hmmm -- QL says that is around a 30k psi load, so those pistol primers should not even be close to giving up from pressure. And when I have used pistol primers that gave up because of more pressure than they were built for, the "fail" was to pierce through in the firing pin strike dent. Looks like they just fit poorly in those primer pockets and are leaking gas around the side. Did you do some "primer pocket" prep work on that brass and maybe go too far?

Obviously those primers are not a match for that brass, so Mike H. is right that you need to quit using them in that application.

farmerjim
04-08-2018, 11:31 AM
The large pistol primers are also shorter than the large rifle primers. They are going to move back to the bolt face. If you beveled the edge of the primer pocket too much, the shorter large pistol primer may leak some gas.

parkerhale1200
04-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Its a normal beveled edge, like I always do? They are just to short primers?
I did not over trim the primer pocket, just as normal, I think?
Maybe I did it to deep for the last few years, and now it comes forward?

The only change is the primer its self, pistol, its just to short, I always had Gynex.
They are harder then most primers, and rifle primers

Hmmm tomorrow I wil de-prime them and have a closer look.
I will report back.

Thanks in advance!

Grmps
04-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Bad run of brass? It happens :(

Texas by God
04-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Bad run of brass? It happens :(That's my take. I had it happen in a 22-250, .250 Savage, and a .240 Weatherby. I changed primer brands in the .240 and switched from Win to Rem brass in the other two calibers. It will erode (flame cut) the bolt face if it happens much.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180408/a10b80da291fa1556ecb23f9e75ee43d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BK7saum
04-08-2018, 03:42 PM
I think that your beveling of the primer pocket plus a soft pistol primer (federal are know to be some of the softest) allow the unsupported primer radius to pierce on your loads.

parkerhale1200
04-09-2018, 02:09 PM
I toke the primers out and there was no "gas blow" between the pocket and the primer it self.
The primer pocket in the case is everywhere nice clean and shiny
The hole is only in the primer itself.

But they are a .310 -.320 ish to short, you can see a black thick ring on the bottem inside of the pocket.

parkerhale1200
04-09-2018, 02:11 PM
If I go closer with my cell, it will not make a decent picture, just one blur.
Sorry this is the best I could do at the moment.

parkerhale1200
04-09-2018, 02:19 PM
@Texas by god, the poor thing.
I had a similair bolt once, but it was not from primer fails.
What else could happend? Bad brass?

And I REALLY hope its not a bad run, 1000 new ones.......f****
I will make an entirly new batch of 100 with my own primers, lets see if it happens again, I really hope not

Thanks in advance for all advice

35Whelen
04-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Don't think I have ever read any load data for a rifle that indicates the use of pistol primers in a rifle load. Sorry if that sounds like being a dick....but really they're not meant for rifles.. Your firing pin looks like it hits quite a bit off center too; wondering if striking that close to the radius of the primer cup weakens it.

farmerjim
04-09-2018, 03:45 PM
"Don't think I have ever read any load data for a rifle that indicates the use of pistol primers in a rifle load"

Many 22 hornet loads call for a small pistol primer.

Texas by God
04-09-2018, 11:38 PM
Your picture is good enough to prove what you say. You can see the hole where the cup failed. I've never seen Gynex primers, where are you in the world? Your rifle doesn't need any more Fed LP primers that's for sure. The Sako bolt face I pictured got that way from only ten rounds on a Prairie Dog hunt. It was the brass in that case.

parkerhale1200
04-10-2018, 10:24 AM
As far as I know, Ginex primers are east European, Bosnia.
They are pretty hard, very stable and consistent.
Never had one fail.
http://www.ginex.com.ba/public_html/Product.htm
I live in the Netherlands (Holland) in Europa, Westwoud.
In the usa is also a city that is called Westwood, after I did some resource I found out that the founders where from HERE.
Also I have a vacation home in Poland, 15 years ago somebody in Rybnik (Poland) give me those primers, ever sinds I only want those.

parkerhale1200
04-10-2018, 10:40 AM
@ 35whelen,
Nope, you don't sound like a dick....And you are right for 90%.
I wanted to shoot my 308, and I wanted to shoot, and the gun dealer was temporally sold out of Ginex...
So primer fits, it will go off....I thought it will make no difference.
It did go off, but not the way it suppost to do, they are to weak, see pictures for results.

The firing pin is off centre, I never gave that a thought, can it do harm?
That Parker Hale was made in 1954.
Was my dad's, he is casting/shooting somewhere else know, mine is from 1985, both 1200tx, next weekend I will see if mine is also out of its centre.
But do I have to pay extra attention to some parts?

Thanks all

john.k
04-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Using pistol (short) primers allows for unwanted things to happen,its quite likely your primer blows into a convex form,or even redraws the cup,before pressure moves the primer back against the boltface ,flattening it .Overworking the thin metal,and cracking......So dont blame faulty components ,when misuse is the cause..

parkerhale1200
04-14-2018, 02:13 PM
This is a lot of pain.....
Six primers...six failed...Six holes on the bolts face.
F*** a gun from 1954....

By the way they are both off centre 1954 and 1985ish

F*** that 54 it was really neat.....don't go the cheap or fast route....wait for the good stuff, fa**
I am really cranky about it.....don't go cheap or fast route.....
I just f**** up a gun

Yes for the gun knowers...... the bolt from the 54 is originally mauser k98

Texas by God
04-14-2018, 02:31 PM
You'll probably be fine from now on by using Large Rifle primers only. My Sako that I pictured is still in use with no problems. Only I (and now you) know my bolt face is eroded.

parkerhale1200
04-15-2018, 04:26 AM
Jep, I will be fine from now on....lesson learned....an other sad lesson..no more cheap or short routes.
And to think of it...I reload for 33 years now!?!?

Ateam
04-15-2018, 10:18 AM
You will always feel sad/ a little shameful when you look at that bolt face, but it is a good reminder to do things right, no shortcuts. The rifle should function fine. I have cratered two rifles, my varmint rifle in .223 (bad lot of Remington primers), and a 300 win mag that I tried to shoot a neck sized round from another 300 win mag and it didn't seal properly. Both rifles are still plenty accurate and functional, they just have ugly spots on the face.