PDA

View Full Version : Had my first Squib load... I feel like a failure

LAKEMASTER
04-07-2018, 08:09 PM
A few months ago, my father n law went out to the range with my brother n law with some of my ammo.

3 shots in, one of my reloads wedged a bullet 1/2"up my wife's gun.

The part that is disappointing is this particular batch of ammo was 300 total rounds.

I've isolated all the reloads, and I plan to shoot them, but I just feel it's a reality check to myself.

Especially when I look at every powder charge.

Or at least I thought I do....

MyFlatline
04-07-2018, 08:18 PM
__it happens, I have had one, thankfully it was caught before another round was chambered. Mine was loaded from a progressive press. Just brings us back to reality , that we are only human..

LAKEMASTER
04-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Looks like I'll be taking a punch and hammer to the range

dverna
04-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Nothing is 100% foolproof. Visual inspection is one of the worst ways especially during long sessions or fatigue.

At least it was not a double charge!

I have had about five squibs in 500,000 loads but have never had one on the 1050 since adding a powder check die. Same with the 650 before I sold it.

They are embarrassing but I doubt anyone who has loaded any amount of ammunition can say they never had one.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-07-2018, 08:36 PM
It happens i loaded some snap-caps in magazines before and let my kids shoot them to see what they would do just in case they had it
happen to them they stopped and checked and asked me too to make sure it was safe

JBinMN
04-07-2018, 08:36 PM
At least it was caught & did not become a catastrophic incident. Very glad to not hear of anything worse than maybe a bit of disappointment in your doings....

Texas by God
04-07-2018, 08:42 PM
It can happen to anyone. Especially if using a progressive loader. I had one in a 22-250 when I was young. That bullet was no fun to knock out of the barrel. I won't reload with company in the room because I'm easily distracted. I bulged the barrel on a Ruger 9mm because I mistook a squib for a dud due to my bad hearing. I did a quick clearance drill, not even looking at the ejected brass and boom-magnum recoil with two bullet holes in the target. The slide was stuck on the bulge. The strong Ruger saved me from my dumb self. So that boo boo cost me a barrel.
You should feel better now.[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LAKEMASTER
04-07-2018, 09:08 PM
I think I'm way too new to be running my loadmaster full auto.

I decided a few months ago that I would manually push cases into the Shell plate and physically move the lever for the bullet feeder.

I can stop and check whatever/whenever without worrying about short stroking both feeders.

I feel my ammo is much more consistent without the drag from the bullet feeder and especially with the case feeder, that system puts a ton of drag on everything............

Bazoo
04-07-2018, 09:16 PM
I had one bout 5 years ago in my 1911. I cant remember if It felt funny, or if It wouldnt load the next round. Not sure how it happened, Guess I was distracted. Been more careful ever since that one incident.

c1skout
04-07-2018, 11:04 PM
I know how you feel!

I've had 2 in the last 25 years. First one was a 38 special snubby and the boolit stuck about half way down the barrel. The front of the cylinder, the barrel and boolit base were covered with a yellow looking ash.... weird. Second was 45acp that stuck JUST into the rifling.

3leggedturtle
04-08-2018, 08:18 PM
I learned if you mistakenly use 3 grains of Unique instead if 3 grains of Red Dot in a 38 Special with 148gr WC they will stick in the barrel about 1/3 of the time! Was a nice mild accurate load tho. Take it easy on yourself, you caught it and that’s all that matters. Todd/3leg

kmw1954
04-08-2018, 11:23 PM
I'll add on to this. So far my only squib occurred right after starting to wet tumble brass. It was very frightening and more so after thinking about it because it happened in my wife's gun while she was shooting. Fortunately the bullet stuck in the lead of the barrel and prevented another round from chambering. I hate to think what might have been if the bullet was stuck further down the barrel!

As it turned out I pulled apart the remaining bullets and found 2 more with wet powder. Thankfully no one was hurt in either case!

Jeff Michel
04-09-2018, 05:35 AM
Carry an assortment of brass rods to match to bore of your gun(s) your shooting with you to the range and you'll be ready the next time it happens and it will happen again. Cut yourself some slack, not that big of a deal, annoying yes but certainly not unusual.

Outer Rondacker
04-09-2018, 06:48 AM
It happens. Dont feel bad. No one got hurt. Just learn from this. When I first started I was so scared about messing up I checked the weight of ever shell after it was loaded. If it was off more then just a tat I pulled it. I tell you this so you know I still had a light load. It cleared the barrel but stuck in the 1/2 plywood backstop from 20 yrds. This is when I learned I had bad powder. Pulled the rest.

Beagle333
04-09-2018, 06:56 AM
Fortunately never had one (yet), but I use reloading blocks. All 60 must look the same from at least a couple of different angles or they get re-charged.
I realize there are a couple more factors that might cause one too, but I've been lucky.

bullseye67
04-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Good morning,
I have been shooting bullseye for over 30 years. Every match someone has a squib. It happens.....more with the light loads we use. I carry a brass rod that fits 9mm and up. It seems the guys that batch load have the most frequent squibs. I load my 32 S&W Long on a LEE Loadmaster with case and bullet feed, drum powder measure dropping 1.6grs bullseye powder. I have had 2 squibs in the last 5 years.
Like all things in life, squibs happen!!! Less with a progressive press[emoji41] in my case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ulav8r
04-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Almost had one when I first started reloading. Was using a boat tail pulled from surplus 06 ammo in my 308. Had a Lee Loader and dipper set, no scale. Using Unique, I started at 7-7 grains of powder with a pinch of dacron. First shot was loud and left some charred balls of dacron in the bore. Wiped it out and tried the next smaller dipper of powder.I think I reduced the charge 1 or 2 more times before finding the lightest load that would be useable. The lowest load I tried sent the bullet about 12 feet from the muzzle.

popper
04-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Did you weigh the reloads? Typically you can tell with large powder charges. Fast pistol powder - nope.

osteodoc08
04-10-2018, 12:14 AM
If you haven’t had a squib you’re either

1. Lucky
2. Haven’t been doing it long enough.

I’m honest with myself to say I’ve had a squib load. Root cause analysis was that my powder dispenser started dropping light charges half way through. The bullets would plop out the barrel but had one that didn’t exit. I was able to pop it out and continue getting rid of the “defective” ammo.

LAKEMASTER
04-10-2018, 12:51 AM
Did you weigh the reloads? Typically you can tell with large powder charges. Fast pistol powder - nope.
We are talking about 4 grains.

I tried, my pistol casting is purely for numbers. So they vary a lot.

I tried..... :(

gnoahhh
04-11-2018, 10:42 AM
When and how did we get from calling a bullet stuck in a barrel a squib load? The word originated with a guy named Squibb who designed a few bullet molds. The old Lyman/Ideal #311413 was/is a Squibb bullet for example. Sometimes the level of mis-use of words in the English language is astonishing, made worse by people not knowing (or caring) about how easily the vernacular can be twisted out of shape.

ShooterAZ
04-11-2018, 11:03 AM
I've had one sqib load, lodged a boolit in my 357 Contender. It was on a Dillon 550, the little nylon square bushing fell out of the powder measure slide bar. No powder was being dispensed. The primer force alone drove the boolit about an inch up the barrel. I had to spend a few hours pulling boolits...Now I check to make sure all the linkages are tightened, and all parts are in place before starting a new session.

ulav8r
04-11-2018, 01:36 PM
When and how did we get from calling a bullet stuck in a barrel a squib load? The word originated with a guy named Squibb who designed a few bullet molds. The old Lyman/Ideal #311413 was/is a Squibb bullet for example. Sometimes the level of mis-use of words in the English language is astonishing, made worse by people not knowing (or caring) about how easily the vernacular can be twisted out of shape.

First time I've heard of Mr. Squib. A person can learn if information is available. Seems I have read of squib loads for years but don't do as much reading as I used to. Too many magazines today have articles that are infomercials that are full of grammar and spelling errors.

charlie b
04-12-2018, 08:11 AM
From what I could find Mr Squibb (1900's bullet designs) came after the use of squib for describing small explosive charges (mid-1800's). I saw one reference to squib loads being used by the Chinese although I could not find if squib was derived from the Chinese word or if Mr Squibb had something to do with explosives work in the 1800's.

I suspect the use of squib to describe faulty ammuntion came from the explosives world, eg, "It didn't feel like a full load, kinda like a squib."

skeettx
04-12-2018, 11:00 AM
I carry a push rod from a 350 Chevy
Will work for 9mm and larger
Hardened and polished, they do not mess up the gun
And from most auto service places, they are FREE
Mike

Jrod
04-12-2018, 02:37 PM
From what I could find Mr Squibb (1900's bullet designs) came after the use of squib for describing small explosive charges (mid-1800's). I saw one reference to squib loads being used by the Chinese although I could not find if squib was derived from the Chinese word or if Mr Squibb had something to do with explosives work in the 1800's.

I suspect the use of squib to describe faulty ammuntion came from the explosives world, eg, "It didn't feel like a full load, kinda like a squib."

Hasn’t happen to me Yet

robg
04-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Had a few over the years .set my scale wrong 2grains not 7 I wanted, one boolits stopped half out of the end of the barrel ,should of taken a photo ! Pulled the rest and weighed the powder found my error .I find new ways to screw up every now and then.

Cleatus
04-13-2018, 09:38 AM
I'll add on to this. So far my only squib occurred right after starting to wet tumble brass. It was very frightening and more so after thinking about it because it happened in my wife's gun while she was shooting. Fortunately the bullet stuck in the lead of the barrel and prevented another round from chambering. I hate to think what might have been if the bullet was stuck further down the barrel!

As it turned out I pulled apart the remaining bullets and found 2 more with wet powder. Thankfully no one was hurt in either case!

Exactly what happened to me, but only my gun and not the wife's. Pulled all the remaining bullets from the batch and found 2-3 with powder that appears to have been wet and stuck to the instead of the case.

LazyTCross
04-13-2018, 10:32 AM
We all do it from time to time. I agree that if it hasn’t happened you just haven’t reloaded long enough cause it sure can. Nobody plans to have it happen.

I do like the idea of throwing in some blanks for the kids to recognize. And learn to stop and look things over.

You might be able to shake brass and hear the powder. Or someone could. Not me.
Most likely with a fast powder it was a missed charge. Not a half charge.

kmw1954
04-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Exactly what happened to me, but only my gun and not the wife's. Pulled all the remaining bullets from the batch and found 2-3 with powder that appears to have been wet and stuck to the instead of the case.

Since that time my practice has changed. Now it goes into the toaster oven @200* timer set for 1/2hr and it is then left in the oven until I can handle it with bare hands. Then it gets but into a large jar and sits. I have enough brass that I don't have to rush as I do not want that experience again.

charlie b
04-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Most of my squibs came after using my progressive press. Up until then the few I experienced were due to wet cases.

When I first got the press everything went really well. Then I didn't reload for a couple of years. When I started back I had some setup issues with the powder metering, mostly stupid mistakes. I had probably 10 or 15 squibs, in different calibers. After pulling bullets from over 100 rounds I went back and found my setup issues and have not had a problem since.

I have also changed my "quality control" procedure to checking things more often and am not afraid to toss 10 or 20 cartridges if I have any doubts about them at all.

Old Coot
04-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Back in the early 70's I used to occasionally get a squib while shooting my .458. Only the primer would fire. I finally traced it to the granules of walnut hull sticking in the primer hole. It did not happen every time, but often enough that I had to take each tumbled case and check the primer hole. If blocked I punched the granule out with an awl. Not only did the bullet stick in the bore, or maybe the forcing cone, but when the case was extracted it dumped 68 gr. of IMR 3031 into the action. Nasty mess to deal with on the range. Brodie

JoeJames
05-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Just joined up. But I've been reloading for 30 years, and normally load cast in 32S&W Long, 38 Special, and 44 Special. Got in a new GP100 5" in 44 Special; had some Nosler JHP loads lying around, and I learned why Elmer Kieth said to be careful of jacketed bullets. Fired two rounds, and they were ok; next one made a "pop", and I checked the barrel. Nosler bullet was flush with the end of the barrel. It will be a spell before I do any more jacketed bullets, but will stick to 240 grain lead swc's.

Rcmaveric
05-07-2018, 05:01 PM
They also happen when you leave the ammo in the sun and the lube melts into the powder.

john.k
05-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Ive had a couple in 44/40,always caused by bullet lube getting into the case.One shot the bullet fell on the ground about six feet from the gun.Theres no chance of a next shot,because the powder falls out of the case and jams up the action ,and has to be cleaned away,before the bolt will close.

Texas by God
05-07-2018, 08:03 PM
Was Mr Squibb related to Mr Dud?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ghh3rd
05-07-2018, 10:56 PM
That’s why god made the brass rod.

Catpop
05-20-2018, 07:31 AM
An old timer once told me- “Son, if you’ve never been lost, then you’ve never been anywhere!
Likewise with squibs! It happens!
Important thing is to recognize, adapt and overcome!
But I wonder is Mr. Squib kin to Mr. Murphy and as mentioned earlier Mr. Dud?

edward hogan
02-10-2019, 02:11 AM
Hope you didn't blow-up a nice gun...

My son (10-11 then) was shooting our 10-22 at the range with a 500pk of Federal .22lr cheap stuff. A bullet stuck in the barrel and he kept firing thinking he had missed the 50yd target. I fired a few more and then saw the barrel bulge; not much, but the 40gr slugs wered really packed in there.

Many years before, I was shooting my 4" Python with some handloads, practicing fast double action shooting. I was running a cylinder and heard a plumpf rather than a pow and, luckily! was able to stop the pull. Removed the bullet with a hardwood dowel at home, but that was the end of my day. Pretty shook up, I'll say. Maybe it was an uncharged case? I dunno. I found I liked the S&W trigger much better than Colt so sold the gun.

Never had another squib because I quit charging as a separate step, and instead place bullet on the case right after charging. Still do it that way. Never bought any Federal ammunition again after the event with my son.

Bazoo
02-10-2019, 01:30 PM
I generally use a loading block but only for charging with powder so I can look in them. I use tupperware for the other operations. If for some reason my block is not available or wouldn't fit my cases, I've loaded lots by charging 5 or 10 at a time, standing in rows on the bench. Charge the one on the end then move it a few inches and repeat till they are all charged, visually check the row and they're ready for bullets. Sucks when you knock one over though. Not really that much slower either.

RED BEAR
02-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Went bout 40 years with out a squib but in last year i have had bout 20 cant figure why.

Plate plinker
02-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Nothing is 100% foolproof. Visual inspection is one of the worst ways especially during long sessions or fatigue.

At least it was not a double charge!

I have had about five squibs in 500,000 loads but have never had one on the 1050 since adding a powder check die. Same with the 650 before I sold it.

They are embarrassing but I doubt anyone who has loaded any amount of ammunition can say they never had one.

This is very true. ^^^^^^
I like the powder checker.

On the bright side a squib is probably better than a double!

Liberty1776
02-10-2019, 09:34 PM
35 years ago I bulged a barrel on my 5" 1911 Govt. I think the first, low-power bullet almost came out of the barrel and the second pushed both out.

But that overpressured the barrel and bulged it. As the slide came back on the second bullet, the barrel bushing hung up on the bulge. I had to pound the slide to get it to go back into battery so I could take it apart.

Still don't know exactly what happened.

A few weeks ago I was testing some light .357 Cowboy loads in my New Vaquero. Sure enough, one of them had no powder. The primer pushed the 125 grain cast boolit into the throat. I couldn't even spin the cylinder. And of course, I didn't have a barrel rod of any kind.

Fortunately, it was easy to clear the bullet. No harm done.

Just this morning at the range, there were two underpowered loads that stopped the Winchester 1897 pump shotguns -- and the competition -- cold until the problems were sorted out.

One of the guys bought a new-fangled adjustable charge bar for his shotgun reloader. Then he loaded up 100 12-ga.

To his chagrin, he said most of them had no powder in them because something went haywire with the charge bar. Had to cut them all apart to salvage the shot and primers.

Did any of us fail? Yep, that once.

Most of us learn and go on. It's just too much fun to cast, reload and shoot.

robg
02-11-2019, 12:16 PM
It happens to ever handloader ,but if you pay attention when shooting you'll stop and check if something sounds/feels different .its a wake up call that we all make mistakes .