PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Rossi, got a question

wulfman92
04-07-2018, 07:23 PM
I bought a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt with intentions of using in Cowboy Action Shooting or SASS. I have read about people having a gunsmith tuning the action or polishing it to be smoother or hold up better in competition type shooting. So my question is, how exactly do I word it to the gunsmith? Beside just saying, hey here you go, tune it up please! What do I say to make sure to get what I want done? And how much should I expect to pay for these services? I know having a smith tune it, isn't going to make it a Winchester or Uberti.

Thanks

Kevinakaq
04-07-2018, 07:37 PM
https://stevesgunz.com

This is your man...

Outer Rondacker
04-07-2018, 08:09 PM
Well I can tell you what I did to mine.(357) Took me 11 years to get one so messing with it once I did was a must since I have had so long to learn the tricks.

Buy this. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/springs/rossi-92-spring-kit-prod74989.aspx Then polish everything that moves inside. Make sure you deburrrrrr stuff inside first. Mine was all sorts of sharp. I matched the locking lugs. Made it cycle 75% smoother. Oh and get one of these for no reason other then its metal. Rossi 92 follower 45 fro ebay. 15 bucks.

Sorry I for some reason thought you wanted to do it yourself.

AnthonyB
04-07-2018, 08:11 PM
But the stevesgunz video and parts and do the job yourself. Not difficult at all and makes a great improvement.
Tony

wulfman92
04-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Alrighty, I'm willing to do it myself as long as time willing. The action is defiinately rough.

wulfman92
04-07-2018, 08:43 PM
I looked up his video, $60. The reason I quoted using a gunsmith because that's what he said he'd charge, $60.

Outer Rondacker
04-07-2018, 08:47 PM
This guy has a few videos on how to do it and what he did to his. I watched them all then did mine and the only thing he didnt do was cut three coils off his hammer spring. It made a world of difference. But if you buy the spring kit you do not have to cut it. This link will get you started. Watch all his 92 videos if you are bored.

Oh and like the video said it cost me a pepsi can. You need six layers of pepsi though.

AnthonyB
04-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Not advertising for him, but the cost includes parts as well. You will understand better how the rifle works after doing the work yourself, and the knowledge transfers to future rifles.
Tony

Kevinakaq
04-07-2018, 08:49 PM
I slicked up mine myself, very doable regardless of experience level imho. Not to mention it is a great oppurtunity to learn your rifle. I did not buy Steve’s video but rather used youtube and google for tips. Linked to Steve’s site because you mentioned gunsmith. I’d say lean into her!

wulfman92
04-07-2018, 09:15 PM
I have jumped the gun, haven't searched the YouTube yet. Thanks guys!

Texas by God
04-08-2018, 01:59 PM
But the stevesgunz video and parts and do the job yourself. Not difficult at all and makes a great improvement.
TonyThis. And then sell the video when you're done. The Rossi's are good once they've been smoothed. Every one I've shot has been accurate as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

pietro
04-08-2018, 02:52 PM

If you're going to do it yourself, keep in mind that, during re-assembly, you'll need to place a fired/empty cartridge case on the boltface, under the extractor, to allow reassembly w/o tearing your hair out.

missionary5155
04-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Good afternoon
Another "do it yourselfer"... Watch a couple You Tubers and pick which one you understand the best..... Then have at it. When you are finished you will have that good self confidence that you are capable of getting it done.
Mike in Peru