PDA

View Full Version : I'm hooked - just reel me in.....

mugsie
09-08-2008, 07:05 AM
I purchased an 1858 New Army in 44 caliber the other day and took it to the range yesterday. This was my first attempt with BP. My first shot was high at 25 yards. My second shot was a little lower. The third shot was in the same hole as the second shot! After cranking out about 30 shots, my pattern at 25 yards was about 5-6 inches holding off hand. I was amazed at the accuracy of these pistols. I love the whoosh of BP, only at 25 yards I think the target is so close it'll get singed by the flame coming out the barrel!:mrgreen:

I love BP and can see me getting other guns rather quickly. I also love the fact that I can buy them on line and have them shipped directly to my door. Whoopee.

BP is messy however, a lot more so than my smokeless. I was shooting 22 grains of FFF with a cornmeal filler on top. Now to play with the charges and I can probably tune it into a little tighter group.

All in all - I loved it.

madcaster
09-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Reeling you in is a pleasure!muzzleloaders are a bunch of fun!
Just wait until you start flintrocking.....:twisted::-D

lathesmith
09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
For those who want something different than the same old same old, BP is a good alternative. To me, those 1858's "feel" right, I just love the way they balance in the hand. Pretty soon, a cartridge conversion catches your eye, and on to something different...
I recently started shooting BP--well, Pyrodex, actually--in my Ruger Vaquero and found something else I really enjoyed. Something about that big cloud of smoke, and the odd-sounding "boom" is just wonderful. The down side, as you mentioned, can be clean-up, especially revolvers. For me, this is where SS comes to the rescue. I just pop the grips off, remove the cylinder, and into a bucket of hot soapy water she goes. Pump the barrel a bit, maybe a little scrubbing, compressed air, a little WD 40, a little more compressed air, and it is cleaner than new and ready to go. Where there's a will, there's a way!
lathesmith

northmn
09-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Depending on what you have to hunt, the smoothbores are a real hoot and will take deer as well as small game. You need to be a little closer for deer. The Flinlock rifle is also fun, but there are very few production guns I could recommend. Some of the smoothbores have good locks.

Northmn

Kuato
09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
LOL, my 1851s shoot about 5" high at 25 yds. They're sighted in for 75yds or so. Hold under is a mainstay with em.... My other 1858s both have adjustable sights so I can fine tune them..

As far as cleaning, the 1851s & my 3rd model Dragoon get put in a pot of soapy water & simmered. then dried off & oiled. the 1858s I do like Lathesmith does sept I use Ballistol instead of WD40..

I started out when I was 18. Got me an 1851 Navy in 44. Now I have about 8 BP pistols & 5 rifles! This stuff really grows on ya! Besides, being able to outshoot your buddies' Glocks with an 1858 BP revolver is just PRICELESS!!