PDA

View Full Version : ??? on CANADA made Universal powder

onegunred
04-06-2018, 08:19 AM
I have been using the Australia made Universal powder for quite sometime. Soon I will have to buy the stuff from CANADA. Does anyone have some experience with the new stuff as far as load data being the same and how well does it meter. I use it in my 44 mag and also in the 327 Federal. Thanks, Jerry

rsrocket1
04-06-2018, 12:46 PM
FWIW,
Since you are supposed to work up a new lot# of powder anyway, it would be a good practice to do so with Canadian Universal. From my readings, it is denser than the old Universal from ADI but that's only really important to shotgun loaders who load by bushing size. However, the energy per grain has also apparently changed enough that it would be a very good idea to test your charges vs. MV with your older data. For mid range loads, it probably won't matter. I've shot 5g of both Universal and Unique in 45ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm and 38 SP and these charges were well below SAAMI max so it probably won't matter.

I've been contemplating buying an 8# jug of Universal and have been researching the new stuff too. Right now I'm casually looking in to it because the local store has it on sale, but I really don't have the need for another jug of pistol powder for at least another 2 years.

onegunred
04-06-2018, 02:44 PM
My loads are in the middle of start and MAX, more or less, so there should not be a problem. I did read that a person did experience inconsistent weights in his drops. This I believe would be my biggest concern. I use 7.5gr in the 44 and 5.3gr in the 327 Fed.

fecmech
04-06-2018, 05:04 PM
I would be very surprised if the Canadian Universal was any different than the Australian version. If you are a powder company selling a "canister grade"powder your primary concern is lot to lot uniformity. You have published data out there for these powders and your powder must conform to it or you're on the hook for damages.

John Boy
04-06-2018, 05:55 PM
concur 100%

I would be very surprised if the Canadian Universal was any different than the Australian version. If you are a powder company selling a "canister grade"powder your primary concern is lot to lot uniformity. You have published data out there for these powders and your powder must conform to it or you're on the hook for damages.

charlie b
04-07-2018, 06:35 PM
If is made with the same recipe, why would it be any different than different lots from the same factory?