PDA

View Full Version : Why you should have a note book AND use it.

oldracer
04-05-2018, 08:20 PM
I took my Pope barreled 45 caliber slug gun to the range today, just got home actually. I had it shooting at 100, 200 and 300 yards so last time I went I adjusted from 300 to 100. I wrote down how many clicks on my Unertl scope to move in. I forgot I tightened the adjuster lock screw and decided today to go back to 200. I did the clicks and it felt a little weird and then I figured oops, the clamp screw is tight. Probably did not move so I clicked again. Well the first shot went waaaaay over so I doubled the adjustment! Undid the clicks but did not realize I had used 100 yard clicks and that makes the impact DOUBLE at 200! Oh good heavens, it only took me 10 shots and a bunch of clicking to realize how bad I was doing and finally the last shot.......dead center! So I wrote every thing down in my little spiral note book and set it on top of my parts box in the big range box so I'll get it out first next time!!!!! Getting old is the pits.
John

slim1836
04-05-2018, 08:57 PM
You should have a note book for every weapon you shoot in my opinion. What you shot last may not be what you shoot next, hence scope adjustment or sights may not be dialed in. May have shot commercial loads one time and cast loads next time. Knowing what combinations worked may help when you go back to that recipe. YMMV

Slim

rodwha
04-05-2018, 09:51 PM
I bought a notebook for this as well, but haven’t used it yet as I haven’t begun work on an accurate load. I’ve merely been having fun just breaking the barrel in.

evoevil
04-06-2018, 06:44 AM
I had a few, ending up buying a HP laptop with a touch screen, I add all the load data while I'm shooting. Still use paper, but the amount of loads I build it much easier with a HP.

Hanshi
04-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Notebook for each gun? Now that does sound like a great idea.

dondiego
04-07-2018, 11:48 AM
I would need a set of blank encyclopedias!

country gent
04-07-2018, 01:13 PM
On unertals I use the micrometer thimbles and write down the setting, On my MVAs its the vernier reading. On modern scopes it clicks. Same with the service rifles. on match rifles its the Vernier reading again. My BPCR book is a leather bound Planner and is divided up as to rifle and loads. I made tabs from 1" masking tape so each rifles section could be found easily. For High power I used a Score book sold for that. this had all the information recorded, light temp range load stage a target to show group and score along with sight settings used and any corrections needed. This became a real asset over time, I could look up given conditions for a rifle load and normally be in the X ring or very close to it.

oldracer
04-07-2018, 07:20 PM
I have a Unertl and a Unertl Clone scope and I record both in the number of hash marks + the number of marks on the micrometer. The clicks are also counted such as the initial reading at 100 yards and then the # clicks to go out to 200 yards. I also have a diagram that shows which way to turn to affect the "impact".

sharps4590
04-08-2018, 08:39 AM
A fella should keep records of some kind, that's for certain!! Probably most, if not all of us, have done what oldracer did....and it probably frustrated every one of us!

I have a "gun list" in a file where I've recorded a description, the S/N, if the firearm has one, what I gave for it and it's approximate value today. A very few have some small historical value to them, not like a Custer SAA or Trapdoor but that were "liberated" during WWII or were my Dad's firearms and I have recorded that information as well. Given so many of my firearms are chambered to weird old cartridges I've added the recipe for making the brass and the one best cast and jacketed loads, if I use both bullets in them and where they're sighted, 6 O'clock or dead on at whatever range. I did it for posterity, (mostly my oldest son who is also a gun crank), but I have to laugh at myself every time I refer to it for data.