PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for your civility!

Idaho45guy
04-05-2018, 01:41 PM
I have been on various gun forums since 1999 and have seen a sharp decline in civility and tolerance for Christian conservative ideals on a few of them the last few years. Cast Boolits has been almost completely free of personal attacks and it is refreshing.

The civility and respect for others here is reminiscent of the early gun boards which consisted of almost entirely conservative Christian gun owners.

Things are rapidly devolving on other popular sites and I just want to recognize this place as a haven for civility and helpful folks.

D Crockett
04-05-2018, 02:00 PM
I can not speak for everyone here on the forum but it is nice to here such kind words spoken about this forum. and some of those forums you spoke about I have quit. thank you D Crockett

redhawk0
04-05-2018, 02:06 PM
I still belong to GBO and this one, but I have quit all the others. I must say...I hang here mostly...and for the same reason you stated above. The people on this forum are tops. You people are very helpful. I see the trend for most forums going about 90% political and only 10% the reason I started on the forum...and that is for "all things guns". I'm not saying 2nd Amend. and politics aren't important, far from it...but it should not be the only things being discussed....it causes too much paranoia.

redhawk

Thundarstick
04-05-2018, 02:06 PM
I can only agree, and thank the moderators!

Preacher Jim
04-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Folks on behalf of the moderators thank you .
Please if you get a mod In a post thank him personally, they work hard to be fair and totally unbiased in doing their job.

Idaho45guy
04-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Folks on behalf of the moderators thank you .
Please if you get a mod In a post thank him personally, they work hard to be fair and totally unbiased in doing their job.

Well, then thank you, Jim!

Der Gebirgsjager
04-05-2018, 02:25 PM
I'm in full agreement with the OP, and this is the only forum I still visit.

redhawk0
04-05-2018, 02:26 PM
I used to moderate a forum for a 3rd party router firmware group...its thankless...and time consuming. (and the pay sux...haha )

so...agreed...thanx, PreacherJim.

redhawk

JBinMN
04-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Well, then thank you, Jim!

Ditto & to all of ya mods/admin.
Kind of a thankless job at times I would guess, so Thanks! from me as well!
:)

I am a member of more than one forum, but this one is one of the, if not the best & most active along with some of the most civil & polite folks I have run into for some time, compared to some others. As well as some of the most knowledgeable I have run across. There are some who like to "push the envelope a tad" on civility/politeness, but for the most part, everyone seems to have something to add & to do so without too much poking of others. There are mostly older, more mature members than some other places & while that lends itself to some being a little curmudgeonly on occasion, most of the time it is not. We all have a bad day sometimes, right?

Anyway, Thanks! to all for being polite & civil as ya can be, & willing to share what ya know. It is both refreshing & a good example for others to follow.
:)

Here's to you all!
:drinks:

Brett Ross
04-05-2018, 02:44 PM
I lean more to the other side of the political spectrum , moderate to liberal, but most of my friends are consertive. We just no not discuss politics that much and if we do we, agree to disagree but respect the others right to thier opinion. This I fully believe to be the American way and if all could embress this thought, discourse would be civil everywhere.

Idaho45guy
04-05-2018, 02:48 PM
I lean more to the other side of the political spectrum , moderate to liberal, but most of my friends are consertive. We just no not discuss politics that much and if we do we, agree to disagree but respect the others right to thier opinion. This I fully believe to be the American way and if all could embress this thought, discourse would be civil everywhere.

Amen!

lightman
04-05-2018, 03:06 PM
I have to agree. There are a few sharp tongued guys that post but I think it is about the most civil site on the net. I still belong to a few other sites but I'm here more than any other place.

RGrosz
04-05-2018, 04:31 PM
I am a member of several sites opn the interweb. Mostly though you'll find me here. Most of the other sites either aren't as active or like the OP said not near as civil as this one. I don't agree with some people here, but it's far easier to ignore and move on to the next post than get into an argument and tick someone off. After all, they might have the answer to your next question.
Fairly new at this being in here, but I hope I can and try to contribute to it.
Rob

MaryB
04-05-2018, 10:06 PM
This is the most welcoming and friendly gun forum I have found. The snarky comments in many are kept at bay here and that makes a huge difference!

fast ronnie
04-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Nice place to spend some time while not at the bench --- wait a minute?? why am I not at the bench????

woodbutcher
04-05-2018, 10:31 PM
[smilie=s: Hi all.I agree.Thanks Jim.This IS a great site.Thanks to all for keeping it so.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

smoked turkey
04-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Thanks Idaho45guy for starting this thread. It helps to remind us about how nice it is to hang our hats here while we enjoy our hobby. I want to thank the site owner for his guidance and leadership in setting the overall tone for this board. I also need to say a big Thank-You to the moderators for keeping the lid on the place. This is the only gun hobby place I visit when on the net. I find everything I need right here and I plan to stay as long as the management will let me. I have been reloading since about 1966-67 and casting since sometime in the 70s. I thought I knew a thing or two about it, but after coming here I found I didn't know squat. Many thanks to all for taking me to raise. I'm still learning.

Hamish
04-05-2018, 11:37 PM

Bookworm
04-06-2018, 04:49 AM
I really miss Calvin and Hobbes.

HABCAN
04-06-2018, 12:29 PM
^^^^^+1 to all of what smokedturkey said.............except that I started reloading in '47, LOL.

wizofwas
04-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Just another newbe saying that this is a nice place to visit. I'd volunteer more but usually the questions are already answered or I just don't know.

gwpercle
04-06-2018, 04:15 PM
When I was a little boy my Mamma told me that " I should be nice...be nice to everyone and they will be nice to you." And then there was that old rule about " doing unto others as you would have them do unto you" . Mom was pretty smart , I find being nice is a lot better than being mean, ugly and spiteful. But that's how Mamma raised me.
Gary

Boaz
04-06-2018, 08:11 PM
I certainly agree with everyone else here . I still belong to three or four of the 'big' gun forums but seldom go there . Some of the behavior is unbelievable for no reason at all . They all have strict rules up but little moderation apparently or simply does not work . I know they have a huge flow of new members ...coming and going .

I have enjoyed my time here , I only load three pistol calibers so I give no advice as there many old hands here that make what I know small and can advise much better . This forum is courteous enough to maintain a political thread and a chapel ....go think about that a min , it says volumes about the mods and members . Most all of us recognize one another on the board , I have met many here that have become friends and hope to meet more . Thank you Robert and all the mods who make it possible .

Idaho45guy
04-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Some of the behavior is unbelievable for no reason at all . They all have strict rules up but little moderation apparently or simply does not work .

I was on one large site for 18 years and had some great friends and shared all sorts of trials and tribulations going on in my life over the years. It was a great community. The past few years it has really gone down hill. They had to shut down the religious issues forum because of the all the hatred being spewed. I still go to the other forums on that particular site that deal only with firearms or GSSF matches. But even those are getting nasty.

The latest thread I noticed was about backpage.com being shut down by the feds. Apparently it is/was a craigslist type site for sexual deviants. They were all mad as heck that it was shut down and were celebrating homosexuality and other perversions. Just a bunch of gross people there now.

Knightflyer
04-08-2018, 01:27 PM
I'm on this and Mossberg, because sometimes I can get some info specific to the 464 there. But honestly, I only pop in there now and then. I visit this one Mon-Fri, and occasionally on the weekends too.
I would say that a recent "New Grandbaby!" post made me real, real, jealous though, lol. ;)
Dave

RED BEAR
04-09-2018, 10:15 PM
I learned a long time ago that you always try nice first it may not always work but you try. Thanks for the kind words and welcome aboard.

Tom W.
04-09-2018, 11:01 PM
I'm a mod at GBO and never had to reprimand anyone in all my time there. I frequent this forum the most, with a few others that are not uncivil in any way. One of the sites I liked shut down last night, so there are about five that I like. This has to be my favorite.

waksupi
04-10-2018, 11:09 AM
I'm a mod at GBO and never had to reprimand anyone in all my time there. I frequent this forum the most, with a few others that are not uncivil in any way. One of the sites I liked shut down last night, so there are about five that I like. This has to be my favorite.

Not all staff there are the same. I was having a conversation with Veral Smith on temperature, pressures and lubes, and found myself banned. There was certainly nothing out of line from myself or Veral, but out I went. Never did figure that one out.

Tom W.
04-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Those people have Veral on a pedestal...with a halo...

kaiser
04-10-2018, 03:32 PM
I too appreciate this site for offering courteous discussions, regardless of whether the "poster" is a "newcomer" or "old timer" (like me) who loves to shoot and search for information related to the "shooting sports". I've heard and read some of the "caustic" remarks made to people new to shooting on some of the other blogs (I belong to at least 5 others) and I wonder why anyone getting into shooting, hunting, and reloading would want to visit them unless they enjoy S&M. I find people on this site seem to be concerned about passing on experiences and knowledge they have acquire, while discussing topics they love, more than they desire to pass on "pet peeves", "superior" knowledge, or personal biases. CastBoolits is like "old home week" rather than an "exclusive club" where only the senior members with the "multiple stars" are given a "stage". I still go to other sites occasionally, but I seldom post anymore for lack of interest in a discussion of how a particular senior member's opinion trumps all others. (I do not mean to imply moderators fall into this category, for I realize it can be a tough job, but some moderators need to be "moderated" along with some of its members.) I've noticed that many of those sites have diminishing "hits" these days, while this site draws comments like "ants to sugar" (could it be the discussions are more "civil?") Thanks for a great site; and letting me post now and then. Kaiser

tinsnips
04-10-2018, 10:07 PM
This is a nice place .I read every night here when I am around. People are getting meaner everywhere I see that in my business. I really don't understand why people want to attack religion so much. I would not want to be them when they have to meet the big man upstairs.

Olevern
04-15-2018, 09:41 PM
I am appreciative of the learned discourse of many on here, but, unfortunately, my experience does not mime that of the OP or others posting in this thread. I went from being an active contributor to a lurker/reader only after being viciously attacked several years ago complete with a number of "pile ons".

Not looking for any sympathy, jus the way it is; not interested in the drama or defending myself or my opinions under attack, so will remain in the background; just wanted to say I do appreciate quite a number of contributors here.