PDA

View Full Version : Mould Cleaning

pjh421
09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
I’m sitting in my garage easy chair, surrounded by ammo making equipment and guns…a blissful environment to be sure. I decided to chase the vent lines on a 10 cavity mould with a carbide scribe. I’m about 90% done with the first block half.

If I ever make any noise about learning to engrave firearms, someone please shoot me. I have one of those lights with a magnifying glass on a floor stand to help but this is exacting and difficult. Its an old mould which I purchased used. Some of the vent lines have closed from impact over the years and are so faint that I figured they weren’t venting as intended. There’s also crud in the bottoms.

Its very easy to run the tip of the scribe up and over the edge of a faint vent line. It doesn’t hurt anything, since you’d have to make several passes to remove any appreciable amount of metal and these scratches will disappear with use – but it sure is annoying and time consuming. However the results should be well worth it. Kudos to the engravers out there.

If a guy had a holder into which he could secure several scribes and adjust their position, and a way to move the whole thing across a mould block face in a straight line, well I’d be the first in line to buy it.

Paul