PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Re-Barreling Ruger No3 from 223 to .357 Max

CamoWhamo
04-05-2018, 06:14 AM
I kicked off my latest project to re-barrel and restore a very rough Ruger No3 that's currently chambered in 6mm-222.

I wanted something for which i can cast and something that has a case size close to the current chambering, so that there should be minimal work getting the ejector to work.

I considered 300BO but i've owned a 300BO in the past and wasn't a fan. I thought about .38 Super Automatic which would be a good plinker and something very unique.
But then the practical side of my brain took over and i decided to go with .357 Max.

The barrel and reamer have been ordered and the gunsmith scheduled.

Is there anything i should consider with the rebareling? What would need to be done to the extractor to convert from rimless to rimmed?

Tatume
04-05-2018, 06:48 AM
You shouldn't have to do anything to the extractor.

CIC
04-05-2018, 06:51 AM
I cannot add to what you will need to do for the conversion but I can say 357 max is a great choice for a carbine. It is also a great choice for casting. I would be interested to hear how it all turns out.

04-05-2018, 07:33 AM
Sounds like you already ordered the new barrel. .357 Max is a wonderful choice. I can't help but think that the old barrel could have been re-bored by somebody like Bob Hoyt and new chamber cut for the .357 max for less money. Understand, I don't know if it's possible with the required dimensions or what the costs of the new barrel are. Just random thoughts wandering through my pre-coffee brain. Be sure to let us know how it turns out. Good luck. I'm jealous about that #3 in a .357 max. :)

Tatume
04-05-2018, 08:46 AM
The 357 Maximum reamer would probably completely clean up the original 223 Remington chamber after reboring, but it would be close. If I was going to rebore a 223 Rem barrel for a Ruger No. 1, I would choose a cartridge that would be sure to remove all traces of the old chamber, such as the 357 Herrett. I agree that reboring is a good choice for many reasons: less expensive, matches original fore end, usually more accurate than original barrel, preserves original sights, and more I'm sure.

Harleysboss
04-05-2018, 07:12 PM
I have a like new complete #3 stock set for sale in the classifieds. Pm me if you would like a picture or two.

marlinman93
04-05-2018, 08:05 PM
JES Reboring specializes in .35 calibers and it would have been under $200 to have them bore and rifle, and rechamber to .357 Max. Too bad your gunsmith didn't recommend this route himself?

CamoWhamo
04-05-2018, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

Re-boring is not an option. I'm in Australia and there is no-one that offers a re-boring service. Plus the current barrel is a stainless replacement that is very thin and does not match the fore end's inletting at all, and it needs a custom scope base which was very poorly done and out of alignment.

I want to go back to a blued barrel in a factory profile or maybe a 1B or 1V profile so that off-the-shelf scope bases can be used.

CamoWhamo
04-05-2018, 10:00 PM
I have a like new complete #3 stock set for sale in the classifieds. Pm me if you would like a picture or two.

Would you send it to Australia?

Harleysboss
04-05-2018, 11:54 PM
Not sure about that.. Not sure what kind of regulations we would be up against and shipping would probably be expensive. Where in Australia? I could check on shipping cost. You would have to chip in.

dverna
04-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Good caliber choice!!! I have always liked the Ruger single shots. Bought a used one in .25/06 because I got it at a good price and like a fool sold it.

potatojudge
04-11-2018, 06:30 PM
I have a No 3 in 357 max that JES rebored for about $200 and it shoots better than before. It was a 22 hornet reamed to 223 so the twist rate was all wrong unless the bullet weight was 40 grains or less.

I think you'll be very happy with your build. A thinner than factory barrel profile would be nice and custom wood is always appreciated. I'd recommend some sort of rubber recoil pad. Even with a light kicking round it's worth it. My rifle has a modified factory forend and the forend hangar is tapped for a screw that puts tension on the barrel. The butt stock is factory but I'll be reshaping the comb and installing a recoil pad.

Drm50
04-11-2018, 09:24 PM
I've got a few #3s, in my neck of the woods they are bring $800-$1K. I just traded my Marlin 375
even for #3 in the same. Percentage wise they are more expensive than#1s. The only #3 that I
was disappointed with was the 22Hornet. I've had 3 of them and wasn't impressed. I wish I had
kept one around to rebore. My gun smith rebarreled several #3 Hornets for guys who weren't
satisfied with their accuracy. I have a 223 from 1st year of production that has excellent accuracy,
My latest is 375 & 45/70 and both good shooters. I did but the stock extensions for all mine, they
look like black recoil pads and and about 1" to stock length. I like 357max, the only one in rifle
I have shot was a buddies m24 savage, it's a tack driver at 75 yds and with a scope should be at
about twice that.