PDA

View Full Version : Dash Camera

abunaitoo
04-05-2018, 05:19 AM
Anyone have one????
Been thinking of getting one.
Lots of really bad drivers, on cell phones, on the road here.
I got rear ended a little while back.
Stopped in traffic and BAM!!!
Can pick one up cheap on evilbay. From china, of course.

Preacher Jim
04-05-2018, 05:42 AM
Sounds like you need 2 one out back also

Taylor
04-05-2018, 06:32 AM
I thought about it too,maybe put one on my Trike.If nothing else,just to record my ride.

mpkunz
04-05-2018, 06:49 AM
I have been driving with a G1W Black Box for 4 years. It has captured all kinds of events, such as burning a FedEx 18-wheeler on Rte. 80 in NJ on the way to work, a video of a red tailed hawk swooping down across the highway to grab a bunny in the grass in the median, & deer catapulting their way across my path. But my favorite is that I was stopped at a red light and it caught a woman on her cell phone flying through the red into the intersection and crashing into an 18-wheeler. The best was she lied to the cop about whose fault it was, but there was no contest with the video. It's set up to video as long as I have the ignition turned on and it runs in a loop of something like 6 or 9 hours. Video quality is 1080, which is better than most police car video. They're only about $65 on scamazon and plug into the cigarette lighter. They have a long enough cord to mount them front, back, and sides.

buckwheatpaul
04-05-2018, 07:22 AM
I think it is a good idea......dash cam has helped show, without any spin, what happens when police are on the scene....plus there are soooo many people that will speed past you and force their way in and then have to slam on the brakes.....I vote for one....we have been discussing getting one....IMHO

mold maker
04-05-2018, 07:44 AM
They should be and soon will be std equipment on every US car. It keeps folks honest or at least proves what happened.

Pressman
04-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Extra insurance. I have a Garmin. It's really good for break checks and accidents in front of me.
I wish I had one on the rear, maybe someday.

Biggin
04-05-2018, 12:16 PM
We used to have them in our bucket trucks. Most of us were ok with them until the company started handing out discipline every time you set it off. Thankfully we don't have them anymore.

Moonie
04-05-2018, 12:26 PM
There are lots of good smart phone apps to turn your phone into a dash cam, all you need is a mount.

bob208
04-05-2018, 02:17 PM
after dodging idiots on cellphones and the break checks we got one for my truck and the wife's truck. also works good for the fools that run up beside you and try to cut over when the lane ends. the stepsons company put them in all their trucks. with ins. rates what they are now I would not be with out one.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-05-2018, 02:55 PM
about a year ago, I was looking at them, and the many different options.
I recall seeing one with cameras pointing front and rear, but same brain/recording unit.

I decided I don't drive/travel enough to warrant owning/dealing with one.

country gent
04-05-2018, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if some insurance companies don't start offering a discount if you have one. Along with the recorder in the newer cars it would give a very good idea of what happened. Most new cars have a recorder that records speed and other vehicles operating conditions in a loop of several minutes. This coupled with a camera timed together would be informative.

thegatman
04-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Got one. Love it. Fits close to windshield. Watch your state laws. Some say nothing on the window but registration and inspection. Not even EZ pass.

10x
04-05-2018, 07:56 PM
HP310. Excellent camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js0pXxA2UoY

HangFireW8
04-05-2018, 08:03 PM
Smart phones make poor dashcams. They overheat, the nand memory slows over time and is not replaceable, they're overly large for the job they do, they stress the mounts they are on and constantly get out of alignment. A small dashcam with a uSD card and its own mount do a better job.

My dashcam is out of production so I have no recommendation other than, get a good one. As in, not the $20 Amazon dashcam with a 90 degree FOV advertised as 135 degree.

marlin39a
04-05-2018, 08:44 PM
I need one. When I tow my travel trailer, I get folks who pass, and drop in front of me quite often.

abunaitoo
04-06-2018, 04:54 AM
One I'm looking at has a camera for the rear.
Forward looking one is the rear view mirror.
Probably work for me because I have a camper on the truck.

Mr_Sheesh
04-06-2018, 06:27 AM
Friend gifted me a cheap one; I would like a better one some day, it'd be good to have 360 degree coverage but not many of them do that. On YouTube there's a channel named something like "Idiot Drivers of the Pacific Northwest", I think the drivers he sees are SLIGHTLY worse than those around here, but maybe he just drives a lot. I see enough idiocy here, certainly. Right turns from lane # 3, for example, just random idiocy. Bad driving...

marlin39a
04-06-2018, 07:06 AM
Just ordered the Black Box G1W-x from an EBay seller. $39.99 shipped.

lightman
04-06-2018, 08:04 AM
For you Guys that have these, how do you download from them? SD card? Direct to you computer or phone?

Pressman
04-06-2018, 08:50 AM
They use a micro SD card. 16gb is about minimum size to record most of the day.
Just pull it out, insert in the adapter and watch on your computer.

Mr_Sheesh
04-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Mine you can drag the whole thing inside & plug a mini USB type A plug into it, or just pull the micro SD card out and read that.

jonp
04-06-2018, 07:35 PM
I have a Garmin dezlCam in my truck and I highly recommend it. I bought it last year after watching a women barrel roll her Streetglide down an interstate in front of me and nearly ran her over. It runs on a continuous loop and when you want to record something it is a hit one button thing. It automatically saves everything from a few minutes before until you stop it as set with location, map coordinates, side map showing street location, speed your traveling etc. Lot's of great features including settings to add a back up cam, voice control, lifetime map updates, plugs right into your computer with a standard micro cable to download video and pictures, uses a magnetic mount that plugs into the cigarette lighter for charging and you can remove it leaving the mount in place and use it out of the truck on the self charge, bluetooth hands free calling etc... Great unit. Not cheap but worth every penny. I leave mine on all of the time.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/511034

abunaitoo
04-11-2018, 02:49 AM
To rich for my blood.
Looking for one that will record front and rear on a loop.
Nothing fancy.
Just for "Just in case" times.
People are crazy driving around here.
I'm surprised there are not more bad crashes.
I was looking at one of those "GoPro" type of cameras.
Don't know anything about them either.
At least with that one, I can take it out and use it.
Still have a dumb phone, so no camera in it.

Mr_Sheesh
04-11-2018, 07:30 AM
You could look at the car version (The dezlCam is a Semi Truck level dashcam/GPS really.) The Garmin nuviCam LMTHD may be more what you need if you're not driving a Semi around, they're on EvilBay & Amazon etc.

mpkunz
04-11-2018, 08:08 AM
If you live in one of those states, they make mounts to attach to rear view mirror.

Mr_Sheesh
04-11-2018, 08:04 PM
I'vbe also seen dashcams that replace your rear view mirror, and include rear view mirror functionality. Not tried one but there would be a lot of reviews out there for any real brand name I'd think. I wouldn't buy a randomly made up, unheard of name dash cam unless (and maybe even not despite) it being very cheap...