PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
04-04-2018, 06:53 AM
Indeed the hour is coming…that you will be scattered… JOHN 16:32
Jesus was not rebuking the disciples in this passage. Their faith was real, but it was disordered and unfocused, and was not at work in the important realities of life. The disciples were scattered to their own concerns and they had interests apart from Jesus Christ. After we have the perfect relationship with God, through the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit, our faith must be exercised in the realities of everyday life. We will be scattered, not into service but into the emptiness of our lives where we will see ruin and barrenness, to know what internal death to God’s blessings means. Are we prepared for this? It is certainly not of our own choosing, but God engineers our circumstances to take us there. Until we have been through that experience, our faith is sustained only by feelings and by blessings. But once we get there, no matter where God may place us or what inner emptiness we experience, we can praise God that all is well. That is what is meant by faith being exercised in the realities of life.
“…you…will leave Me alone.” Have we been scattered and have we left Jesus alone by not seeing His providential care for us? Do we not see God at work in our circumstances? Dark times are allowed and come to us through the sovereignty of God. Are we prepared to let God do what He wants with us? Are we prepared to be separated from the outward, evident blessings of God? Until Jesus Christ is truly our Lord, we each have goals of our own which we serve. Our faith is real, but it is not yet permanent. And God is never in a hurry. If we are willing to wait, we will see God pointing out that we have been interested only in His blessings, instead of in God Himself. The sense of God’s blessings is fundamental.
“…be of good cheer, I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). Unyielding spiritual fortitude is what we need.

Blackwater
04-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Thanks. This is a prime example of how Christ uses us in SPITE of our natures, if we simply trust Him and LET him use us. It's amazing how, when confronted with a situation we don't know how to handle, we somehow seem to be SHOWN the way, and given the words, if we'll just dive in and give it our best, and ALLOW Christ to make the difference. What greater lesson couuld there be for a Christian?

histed
04-04-2018, 07:09 PM
"Our faith is real, but it is not yet permanent. And God is never in a hurry. If we are willing to wait, we will see God pointing out that we have been interested only in His blessings, instead of in God Himself. "
rl, I enjoy so much your meditation/devotional every day now. Usually takes my thoughts in a different direction and/or helps me see something new. I've highlighted one sentence from today. Could you go into a deeper explaination of what you mean by this? Not sure how faith can be real without being permanent. As for the rest, I know God is never in a hurry, even when I am, so I'm learning to wait and see where He's taking me. Pretty sure I get the last part - not for the gifts or the "good stuff". but "that I may KNOW Him" - who He really is - so that I can be made more like Him. Have I got that right?

Boaz
04-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Thank you Ronnie . We are to grow in Christ .

Wayne Smith
04-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Some what better said, but longer (by a lot!) in "The Dark Night Of The Soul". It is a manual for those supervising the spiritual growth of young monks - and explains this concept very well.

rl69
04-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Thank you histed for your kind words. the truth is that these are not my words. Thay are from "my upmost for His highest " by Oswald Chambers. After his death his wife compiled his sermons and developed this dayly devotional.

I could give you my understanding of the lesson, but you would only have my understanding. Read,pray, and study,the spirit will show you what you need to know. Rely on Him for your understanding. I herd a preacher once say " I have all eternety to sit at the feet of Christ and have Him teach me the things I don't yet understand "

Ronnie

histed
04-05-2018, 08:39 PM
That's the plan, Ronnie. After I wrote you, I spent a lot of time thinking, praying and comparing scripture. Don't know that I have THE answer, but I have AN answer that make sense in my life. For faith to be permanent, it has to be consistent. Sunshine or shadow, good times and bad and it has to be there when we're blind. No clue what comes next, but I'm moving anyway, trusting His guidance, not my sight. And, yes, I'll be right there with you, learning and listening forever to answers to questions I didn't even know I had. Thank you for the encouragement.

rl69
04-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Sir you have made my day. As iron sharpens iron

USMC87
04-06-2018, 06:22 AM
God is constantly at work in His people and bends them into what He would have them to be.