PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Pear Pie

sundog
09-07-2008, 05:01 PM
The recipe is on castpics.

First ever crop of pears from these trees have been in for a few days. Two trees of Moon Glow and two trees of Keifer. Keifer did not make this year - blooms and a few fruit that the frost got. Moon Glow yielded about 3 dozen, some of which were pretty badly battered by this year's many hail storms but went ahead and ripened. Many were very nice though. Anyway, granddaughter helped me peel and prep enough for 3 pies. They are on the stove simmering as we speak.

We ate a couple while we were peeling and cutting. Su-weeeet, and really joooooo-ceeee! Run down yer chin kinda juicy!

Pie and ice cream for dessert tonight! After my world famous 5 bean chili.

Got a few small ones left in the basket for eating, or maybe some pear sauce.

Testimonial: if you have never had pear pie, you have NO IDEA what you are missing. You think nothing could beat Mama's apple pie? Huh?

45 2.1
09-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Keifer pears are hard until after christmas usually. We used to pick them when they were hard as baseballs and wrap them in newspaper to eat or cook with in January or after. They were never sweet and juicy. Best of luck with them though.

sundog
09-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Daughter and her family just left. It was good. Moon Glow is a good cooking pear, but if carefully selected, some of them are really good eaters. Like the two we had this afternoon while prepping.

The pie was outstanding! I'll have another piece for breakfast, and maybe a small piece for lunch, and another for dessert after supper tomorrow. SIL and GD both took pieces for tomorrow.

Yeah, Keifer is a late variety. They'll be good for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Pear sauce and jelly.

We used Splenda in place of the sugar, and I cannot tell the difference.

MT Gianni
09-07-2008, 10:59 PM
That receipe of Felix's is a winner. Gianni

SCOTT ARTHUR
09-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Wife & I made two pear pies this afternoon. Great recipe!!!

carpetman
09-13-2008, 12:46 AM
I was gonna make a pear pie but didnt have any pears. So I substituted meat----both have 4 letters with an EA in middle--pEAr mEAt didnt have any pie crust so I substituted hamburger buns. Didnt taste like a pear pie.

Lee
09-13-2008, 12:03 PM
pear pie, bear pie, hair pie, hatever....
all goes to the same place.................

dominicfortune00
09-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Where's Castpics at?

Tried a seach and couldn't find it.

Thanks

wills
09-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Where's Castpics at?

Tried a seach and couldn't find it.

Thanks

scroll all the way down the page, the link is there

45nut
09-17-2008, 11:44 PM
www.castpics.net , wills is 100% correct, we share banners

eka
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Finally got around to trying this one. It was excellent. I think the pears work better than apples, and that's saying alot.

Here's to pear pie :drinks:

Keith