PDA

View Full Version : Soft lead from wheel weight

Lethemgo
04-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Was talking to a old fella the other day...I'm 63 so he's older. Said if I need more soft lead I could smelt my wheel weight and leave it set for a short time. Ladle off the top and make ingits and as you go they will get softer until the soft lead will be on the bottom. Than use the soft for muzzleloader boolit and add the other into reg ww to make some hard alloy. King of makes sense but what do you guys think?

Dusty Bannister
04-03-2018, 10:10 AM
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

After you read the referenced material you will know for sure.

ShooterAZ
04-03-2018, 10:53 AM
I think the old fella might be pulling your leg. A pot of alloy won't separate like that, however a small amount tin may float to the top if you don't flux. If you want soft for muzzleloader use, get stick on wheel weights, or buy some pure.

D Crockett
04-03-2018, 11:07 AM
the best ML bullets I ever made were out of stick on ww and roof flashing you can not beat that for ML bullets D Crockett

dondiego
04-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Was talking to a old fella the other day...I'm 63 so he's older. Said if I need more soft lead I could smelt my wheel weight and leave it set for a short time. Ladle off the top and make ingits and as you go they will get softer until the soft lead will be on the bottom. Than use the soft for muzzleloader boolit and add the other into reg ww to make some hard alloy. King of makes sense but what do you guys think?

Try that with a sugar water solution and see if you get candy on the bottom.

ShooterAZ
04-03-2018, 01:20 PM
He will get candy on the bottom when all the water evaporates...LOL.

Walter Laich
04-03-2018, 05:20 PM
I do give my pot a stir when refilling--gives me something to do while the lead is becoming liquid

lightman
04-04-2018, 09:17 AM
I doubt that you will separate very much of the alloy out of those weights. Any stick-on weights will be soft lead, if there are any mixed in with what you have.

bangerjim
04-04-2018, 02:04 PM
That was a real good April Fool's joke from the "olde" guy!

Molten metals do NOT separate like that. Unless you wait around for the top to evaporate and leave the pure on the bottom.............I AM pulling your leg!

banger

Hardcast416taylor
04-06-2018, 03:30 PM
I`ll even bet that the `ole fella told you that a white horse could run faster than a dark colored horse?Robert