PDA

View Full Version : Reloading .25 ACP???

Salmon-boy
09-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Ok, with the addition of a Tarus PT25 to the safe I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile setting up to cast and reload .25 ACP.

Am I going insane that I'm even thinking this?\[smilie=1:

Anyone have any experience?

pumpguy
09-07-2008, 01:37 PM
.32 ACP is about as small as I have ever loaded and it was kind of a pain. I can't imagine .25.

45 2.1
09-07-2008, 04:07 PM
NEI produces the best mold for the 25 ACP. Not to difficult to reload these provided you don't have big fingers.

HeavyMetal
09-07-2008, 04:15 PM
You'll want to buy Dillon 650 to keep you stocked up!

Seriously why a .25 auto instead of a .22 rimfire? Same size gun, ammo is cheaper, power level equal ( AKA mouse gun).

No_1
09-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Chuck,

You are not insane. If it is what you want to do then do it. If you are planning to shoot the snot out of this gun then over time you will recoup your money invested however if you are just using this as a carry gun and want some practice ammo then I suggest you purchase factory stuff because the expense of reloading will far outweigh the cost of factory.

R.

Poygan
09-07-2008, 05:26 PM
I reload the .25acp for a Beretta. I cast for it using an RCBS mold. Because of the tiny size, its a slow process. The commercial fodder is anemic and reloading can do better...but not much. I think there is also a Lyman mold, .252435?? If you are already reloading, its just another set of dies and shell holder. I prime with the Lee and I don't think they make a shell holder for the .25, so I have to prime using the press. And because of the tiny powder charge, I weigh rather than use a powder measure. Did I mention its a slow process? Maybe that is why I can't remember the last time I reloaded this round.

Jim
09-07-2008, 05:46 PM
I reloaded a few boxes of .25 ACP for a close friend a few years ago. He paid for all the dies, bullets, brass, etc.. If I had known how much of a PITA it was gonna be, I'd have never even mentioned it to him.

AZ-Stew
09-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Though I've never used them, I have a set of dies passed down to me from a late gun magazine writer that were made by Corbin and are designed to make jacketed soft point .25 pistol bullets from the copper "battery cup" from used shotshell primers.

I have a suspicion this would have to be a labor of love, or a job for someone who has a LOT of time on his hands. I also have a .25 ACP setup for my Dillon RL-550B, but I haven't loaded any yet.

I know, this isn't much help, but it looked like a good place to mention the odd Corbin die set. Thought someone might be interested. No, it's not for sale.

Regards,

Stew

Echo
09-07-2008, 10:33 PM
With those bitty bitty boolits smaller than a green pea, it would be a labor of love. +1 with No1...

shotman
09-08-2008, 04:25 AM
one note about stews the primer cups are all steel now so you would mess up a barrel

1Shirt
09-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Jim and I had the same experiance with 25. I thought I would have a good deal when I agreed to load some for a friend if he bought the dies and gave them to me in return for loading. After 100 rds (all the new brass he had), almost had cookie cutter holes in my fingers of 25 cal, and the air was blue with profanity. I gave him the loaded rounds, the dies,and told him that I am sure that he could find some other reloader who would be willing to screw around with the little guys. Shipped out shortly thereafter, so don't know follow on results, but it will be a cold day is south pergatory befor I ever consider loading them again.
1Shirt!:coffee:

MikeH
09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes, I've loaded 25 ACP. With a load of Bullseye slightly over 1 gr, and an itty bitty bullet. Real PITA! Tough getting the powder correct with a balance beam, and don't trust my powder measures with that small of a charge. Since then I use a digital scale. Would I do it again? Probably not, unless I insulate my gun room to keep my wife from hearing all the cussing. Got a bunch of brass and bullets if I ever get a wild hair again, though!

Mike

P.S. I carry a little Beretta along on hunting trips in case I need a coup de grace on an animal. (Don't see any reason to use good hunting loads for that chore). Have only used one bullet in about 15 years so the ammo is lasting me a while.

Cherokee
09-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I have loaded 25 ACP using 231 and did not find it a pain, plus the ammo was more accurate than factory.

Ranch Dog
09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I personally enjoy reloading my 25 ACP. I happen to have a Lee custom order mold from some long ago group buy. I have big hands but don't have a problem with the cartridge on my Lee Turret Press with Lee Dies including a SO Lee FCD. I use the Auto-Index to cycle the stations and use Auto-Disk with the Micro-Charge Bar to deliver powder. There really is no load development with this cartridge as load development pretty much consists of trying single charges of different powders. I've just finished up 2# of Unique. That took awhile and I just switched to Universal.

I've got a Jimenez Arms JA-25 actually needs a .256" bullet and I've always wondered if this is typical for the cartridge. I lapped the Lee mold I have but have just about finished up on a design that Tom Myers has been helping me with. Here is what, I'm working on for my JA-25 (http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/TL25657RF/). Tom is working on a final drawing that includes some changes made yesterday. I also have bullets in the works for my 32 ACP, 380 Auto and 9mm Luger.

Salmon-boy
09-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Ok, so the consensus is that Yes, I'm as crazy as the rest of you... :-)

Sounds like it truely is a labor of love and Ranch Dog, you seem to be the craziest of us all! I like your style!

Ok, seriously now. Michael, that's a real nice boolit you've got there. If I do take up this endeavor, I might have to buy a mould from you..

Brass is kinda scarce, and I'm not gonna go out and buy a bunch. It's more of a "recycling the brass I come by thing".. I think once the count gets up there though.....

Thanks for the opinions guys!

deltaenterprizes
09-17-2008, 05:36 AM
I have loaded one box of 25s and had a lyman mold. I had to use pure linotype to get the boolits to fill out properly.

Powder charges are tricky with fast burning powders like Bullseye with a starting load of 1gr and max load of 1.1gr. Accurate Arms suggested to use a slower powder that has a max load in the 2gr range so that powder charge variations would not be so critical.

The empty plastic trays that come with the factory ammo make nice loading blocks.

If you have fat fingers use tweezers to avoid pinching your fingers!

Ranch Dog
09-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Sounds like it truely is a labor of love and Ranch Dog, you seem to be the craziest of us all! I like your style!

To support that claim... here is a little video clip of using a 4-hole Lee turret press to load this cartridge.

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/Reloading/SNS/JA25/Movie/Reloading_25ACP.png (http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/Reloading/SNS/JA25/Movie/Reloading_25ACP.AVI)

You will notice that the process to load a cartridge really isn't any slower than any other pistol cartridge! I use the Lee Auto-Disk with the Mico-Charge Bar and it works very well at delivering a consistant powder charge. I did special order a Factory Crimp Die as getting a good crimp on the case is difficult as I don't have a way to trim these cases in that Lee cannot make a tool as they are too short. The FCD eliminates the need for consistant case length for the crimp. You will also see that I use the black plastic factory ammo blocks that the previous poster mentioned!

I've worked with this cartridge quite a bit and feel that Magtech has absolutely the best brass. It is now probably the most common thanks to the muzzleloading crowd! In turn, I think Remingtons is the absolute worse. They seem to have gone "free-style" at the base of the web and it conflicts with the shellholders and some ejectors.

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/Reloading/SNS/Images/25ACP_Web_Taper.gif

Finally, I don't think I'm under-gunned with this pistol. I know what it was designed for and I know the range limitations under that consideration. If someone was to assume they could survive an encounter with the "Dog" and this weapon it would be a fatal mistake. I shoot a lot and have been trained by the best (one of my boys is a special operations small-arms instructor in the military). What sucks about just about any of the pistols that supports this cartridge is the sights despite the close range this caliber is designed to be used at. You want to make them better... try chalk. I prefer white and pink!

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/Firearms/JA25/Images/SNSSight01.jpg http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/Firearms/JA25/Images/SNSSight03.JPG

The chalk will take a lot of wear in and out of a holster and does well in weather!

Okay, now you know I'm crazy!

35remington
09-17-2008, 09:41 PM
The Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez, etc. tend to run to oversize barrels as a matter of course. My .380 Bryco goes .362' - for a cartridge specc'd at .356' or so.

A Raven .25's dimensions came out much like yours.

Look at the rifling marks on the undersize bullets if you happen to own one - there may be some evidence that they are "traction" challenged.

Your bullet design may be just the thing. I'm wondering, however, if the oversize barrels were a deliberate idea to reduce velocity and pressure and extend the life of the zinc slides and frames. You'd think if they can make them consistently oversize that it would be just as easy to make them consistently the right size, or maybe a little over.

As a way of skinning the cat on the .380, I took to using rather soft bullets that slugged up, after a fashion. Accuracy seemed to improve, but was in the 3.5-4 inch vicinity at 25 yards.

dk17hmr
09-17-2008, 10:06 PM
My dad loads for his...made a few hundered rounds a few years ago and has more than enough to last a few more years.

I have always kind of wanted a 25 ACP single shot rifle (NEF) with about a 16.25" barrel and a large scope for small game hunting. If it will push a 50gr bullet almost to 750fps out of a short barrel, it could probably do 1000 out of a longer barrel, the 35gr hollow points will do about 900 out of the short, should be pushing what 1200+ out of a longer barrel.

Sure would be nice for squirrel hunting.

Ranch Dog
09-17-2008, 10:18 PM
35 Rem,

I have a JA-380 and a NIB Bryco M38 chambered in 32 ACP that I'm going to slug and take chamber casts from tomorrow to see what they are like. I have a JA-Nine which I have slugged and cast from and it is right on the SAAMI spec on everything. It is a very good shooting pistol.

Oversizing is a way to relieve chamber pressures but I suspect a hardwood frame would hold up to the less than 10K PSI of the 25 Auto.

The Lee mold I have would drop a .252" bullet before lapping which I would cast of plumbers lead. It shot very well and I think for the reasons you mentioned!

Ranch Dog
09-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I often had wondered if there was anybody that had chambered a rifle it the cartridge. I like to reload and cast and would prefer in over a 22 RF.

dk17hmr
09-17-2008, 10:39 PM
I have found liners here
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

With an O.D. of about .4375, seems like a liner in a 45-70 barrel would work. Or a 44 magnum barrel bored out a bit. H&R/NEF doesnt have any other barrels that would work with out alot of work.

Catshooter
09-18-2008, 12:13 AM
I've often though of a .25 rifle also. I have a nice Remington .22 with nine locking lugs that I have toyed with the idea of converting to .25 ACP. I think it would make a great squirrel gun!

Cat

9.3X62AL
09-18-2008, 01:58 AM
In the dim mists of ancient time, an anonymous benefactor provided me with a die set and shellholder for the 25 ACP. I made the grave error of acknowledging receipt of same publicly on this board, and took no end of guff and feedback from the peanut gallery over the acquisition. I see now that the membership at large has matured over time, and become more accepting of the more esoteric (and diminutive) sectors of our hobby crafting.

Which is a good thing. One of the Rotten Daughters recently found a very nice little Browning 25 ACP, so I may have to fit 25 ACP reloading in among the brake jobs and furniture assembly assignments that fall my way as a part of being the only male with tools among a wife and six daughters.

waksupi
09-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Ha! Al! I knew it! You were in denial! You are indeed reloading for a .25 ACP! Thank you brother, I needed cheered up, and you have made my day! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ranch Dog
09-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey, reloading the 25 ACP is very manly! It takes cojones to face that little cartridge sitting on the shellholder! Al is going to need to watch his daughters as it will disappear. They will love it if they shoot it.

TAWILDCATT
09-18-2008, 02:28 PM
the only trouble I have with the 25 is my short thick fingers it took a while to learn to pull them out then work the handle.I have an ORTEGA.
Lee #15 is for 25acp.:coffee::coffee:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

onceabull
09-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I figured if I laid in the weeds long enough a "victim" would surface to lease my 2c Lyman 25 acp mould....:twisted: Onceabull :twisted:

MT Gianni
09-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I figured if I laid in the weeds long enough a "victim" would surface to lease my 2c Lyman 25 acp mould....:twisted: Onceabull :twisted:

Do you have any idea how long it would take to fill a mayonaisse jar with a 25 mold? Gianni

Catshooter
09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
AL!

SIX daughters !?! SIX?

I'm pretty much at a loss for words. It's probably too late to tell you that they now know where all those girls come from . . . and even in California it's illegal to do anything with 'em, ain't it? I'm sure it is, I'm just sure.

You're a better man than I.

Cat

Salmon-boy
01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Wow, I really started this thread over 2 years ago?? I think I've been working too much! This whole project is more a question of finding myself some additional "sanity" time away from work.

Here's a quick update for the interested... I went the Lee product route to keep the cost to a minimum and re-use some of the things I already had on hand.

I've finally got 3 Lee Reloaders setup next to each other: size, powder through expanding die and bullet seating stations.

De-capping is done previously and I'm priming by hand, so I've pulled the pin out of the resize die.

Bullseye is dropped from a Pro Auto Disk. I've found the smallest cavity of the Micro Disk drops a very regular 1.3 grains..

Currently, I'm seating a 50gn j-word bullet (Didn't know if I was going to be patient enough to reload many of these) to .890 COAL, and have the seating die set to remove the bell, crimping to the point where I can't push the bullet into the case by pressing it against the bench.

Loading isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Once I get into the rhythm, it goes pretty quickly. Ran through 50 rds in just under 30 min the other day, but that includes a whole bunch of "futzing" time..

Now, depending on how my wife and I like plinking with this load, I think I might just have to find myself a mould.

MtGun44
01-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Fussy reloading. I worked up to 1.5 gr BE, and that was VERY hot, had to back down.

Workable, but I don't do it very often. Pretty much gave up on the little .25 ACP CCW niche
when the P3AT came along and was able to do pretty much what the Browning copy did
as far as concealability with FAR more effectiveness.

Bill

OeldeWolf
01-31-2011, 03:29 AM
I know a gentleman who reloads .25ACP. He measures the powder with a handmade scoop, he says. Made from a .25 case, I believe.

This same gentleman, in order to fire a .22 cal on the 100yd range (no rim-fires allowed), created a cartridge, by necking down a .25 case to fit a 22 bullet. I think the other reason, was to mess with the head of the range owner.... He said it worked well. Is this also called the .22 flea?

I am relocating all my casting and reloading equipment at the moment, but have scheduled casting and reloading for the 1914 and 1934 Mauser pocket pistols I ran across. I got them because of all the Mauser rifles in the safe.

BCall
02-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I just saw this thread and read through it all. I too reload the 25 auto, and cast for it as well. I have no less than 5 different molds for it, cuz I go a bit nuts for the small stuff. I load them like Ranchdog does, on the turrent press so I have to handle the cases less. Use the Lee autodisc with the micro charge disc, and it works fine. I don't find it harder to load than anything else really. I have a Lee FCD die for it as well, got it in a set of dies I bought off Gunbroker. I think it crimps the boolit a little too much. A pic for RD if he see's this, Lee did make a 25 acp trimmer at one time! This one was packaged in one of the old style red and white cards they used to use. I have one for 32 acp as well. I haven't ever seriously used it, but it trims cases to a pretty consistent .604-.605. Used to have a Lee Loader for it as well, it was the "Improved" loader with the red plastic priming tool. Alas, I sold it when someone offered me a ridiculous price for it.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851409.jpg

9.3X62AL
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Two words--needlenose pliers. Dinky little monsters, with REALLY dinky components. Makes the 32 ACP seem gargantuan in comparison. (My name is Allen, and I am.......a reloader of the 25 ACP.) Start the music, Ric.

Properly adjusted, the 25 ACP sizer die makes a fine neck sizer for the 25-20 WCF. Just sayin'.

woody1
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Been known to reload the dinky li'l' thing too. Don't cast for it though. No. 2 buckshot makes a nice little patio load the grandkids enjoy shooting off the deck with grandma's Beretta. Actually, I suppose loaded full tilt it's still a little patio load! Regards, Woody

wallenba
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
NEI produces the best mold for the 25 ACP. Not to difficult to reload these provided you don't have big fingers.

I'd look around for another company. NEI has become....well, what's the polite way of saying it? A GARBAGE FACTORY.

.45Cole
02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
You should just buy a slingshot. It's a lot quieter and you can pick reloads up off the ground. (.45 slugs work great for nuisance pigeons) see there, no need to size!

Ranch Dog
02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
A pic for RD if he see's this, Lee did make a 25 acp trimmer at one time! This one was packaged in one of the old style red and white cards they used to use. I have one for 32 acp as well. I haven't ever seriously used it, but it trims cases to a pretty consistent .604-.605.

You know how to make a fellow "Red" with envy. I would like to find a 25 ACP trimmer as it is a chore on my Lyman trimmer!

patsher
02-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Ranch Dog, are your 25 ACP molds back in stock yet? Still wanting one.

Ranch Dog
02-02-2011, 05:46 PM
No patsher... they will be the last I get in, sometime this summer. I base the order priority on the Back In Stock Notifications that customers select, the more the item is in demand, the higher the priority. I'm adding inventory based on my income stream which means a new design about every two to three weeks which is faster than I originally anticipated. I'm also practical in my process. This cartridge has a small following in posts such as this but the molds on the shelf are going to collect a lot of dust.

Ranch Dog
02-02-2011, 05:52 PM
BCall...

What pistol are you shooting my TL256 out of?

BCall
02-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Jimenez Ja25 and a Phoenix Arms.

I didn't realize how you based the ordering, guess I'll have to sign up for notice! Thanks Michael.

Ranch Dog
02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm shooting it out of two pistols as well the JA25 and Raven. The bit heavier bullets seems to have helped the cycling. Since switching to the "heavy" cast, my slide really moves them in and out.

Have you experienced any problems with the .256" diameter bullet?

BCall
02-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Not in the Jimenez, tha phoenix doesn't want to chamber them fully all the time at .256. If I run them through the factory crimp die, they do fine, when it runs. I bought the Phoenix as a bit of a novelty as it has a 5" barrel, but I haven't yet worked all the kinks out of it. I have some FTE and FTF with it occassionally. I dunno if it is the fat boolit or possibly just needs some feed ramp polishing and some variations in brass thickness.

The Jimenez runs like a top. Running either hotter 35 gr HP's or your 25 mold, I don't have any problems. I prefer the heavy lead though.

I like the chalk idea! Thanks, dug through the daughters coloring box and did the same thing to mine today. Cheap and easy, I like.

BCall
02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
BTW, I was looking at your site today, did you drop the 350 gr 444 mold? I got mine, was just curious.

Ranch Dog
02-02-2011, 07:41 PM
BTW, I was looking at your site today, did you drop the 350 gr 444 mold? I got mine, was just curious.

No, just out of stock. It should indicate that, I'll look at it....

...Thanks for the catch. As I sold the last one the product goes inactive unless I have an "expect" date ready. It is back up. Funny, don't sell many in the US but the guys in Canada seem to appreciate it! I bet 90% of the last lot went North!

Ranch Dog
02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Not in the Jimenez, tha phoenix doesn't want to chamber them fully all the time at .256. If I run them through the factory crimp die, they do fine, when it runs...

I run them .256" without issue in the JA-25 and .255" in the Raven. I use a bullet seating die barrel for a crimp die. I do need to trim the brass and I have a Lyman trimmer that handles it. I don't know if I've ever posted a picture of my Mighty TL256 but here they are ready to go:

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TL25657RF/images/TL25657RF.jpg

I load them on a Lee Turret using the Auto-Index for semi-progressive loading. I drop 1.5-grains of Unique with the .18cc cavity on the Auto Disk micro charge bar. The 2.5" barrel of my JA-25 spits them out at 700 FPS. I've used HP38, HS6, Universal and Unique.

sffar
06-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Just stumbled on this thread after pulling my Beretta 950 out of the safe. There's a "mouse gun" match shot a club nearby. Gotta find some dies.

Ranch Dog
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Taurus introduced a new polymer pistol based on their PT-25, the 25PLY, I had to wait almost a year for it to be in stock somewhere and finally I received an in stock notification from Buds Guns. I bought it as soon as I received the notice...

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/25PLY/images/25PLY.jpg

For a size comparison it is against my JA25. Great little pocket pistol! I get the design, it seemed a little funky in the catalog but I figured it was shaped to fit in the point of your pocket which it does without rolling forward like most pocket pistols. Tip barrel, 9-shot magazine, thumb safety, I've found it a great shooter.

My TL256-57-RF is still scheduled to be introduced in my web store in a couple of months. Just got my TL314-75-RF, 32 ACP bullet mold, out. Here they sit with my wife's Taurus TCP (732B).

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/images/TL31475RF_01.jpg

BCall
06-27-2011, 09:31 PM
I like the way that new Taurus looks Michael! Longer grip especially. My big ol hands would appreciate it. Will it chamber your loads at .256, or do you have to size down?

Glad to see the 32 cal molds are in! Will be ordering one on Thursday. Thanks, Billy

Ranch Dog
06-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm shooting the bullet at .256 without issue, it shoots very well but I just sent a chamber impression off to Tom Myers for the bullet to be reevaluated. I'm actually a full time Taurus shooter now, here are my pistols, got rid of everything else.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/Taurus/Images/black_guns.jpg

Ranch Dog
06-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Back to the 25PLY, that pistol does have a perfect stock for a big hand. I wear pleated, dress pants for work and the pistol's muzzle sits perfectly oriented in the coin pocket. You cannot begin to tell the pistol is there.

I would always prefer to have the PT745 with me but despite it being a very compact pistol, tighter than a Glock 36, there are times I just cannot conceal it especially with a fitted dress shirt and pants.

Going to the polymer frame on the PT22/25 could result in some interesting pistols, look at this 22PLY model that just came into Buds! Not sure what is in store for the 25 but I'm happy with my black gun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/76/76368.jpg (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_50_495/products_id/76369)

dk17hmr
06-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Having a 10" 25acp contender barrel made right now.....I might need some of those WFN boolits from a Ranch Dog mold for hunting.

Tom-ADC
06-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile setting up to cast and reload .25 ACP.

No forget it noway you'd shoot a 25 cap that much.

Ranch Dog
06-28-2011, 06:12 PM
No forget it noway you'd shoot a 25 cap that much.

I'd disagree with that.

warf73
06-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Ranch Dog what boolit are you using in your TCP 380acp? I've not gotten to reloading for mine yet, still working on the 480. But later this summer I plan on getting started. Any help in the right direction would be great.

Ranch Dog
06-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Ranch Dog what boolit are you using in your TCP 380acp?

I'm shooting my TL358-100-RF

BCall
06-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm shooting the bullet at .256 without issue, it shoots very well but I just sent a chamber impression off to Tom Myers for the bullet to be reevaluated. I'm actually a full time Taurus shooter now, here are my pistols, got rid of everything else.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/Taurus/Images/black_guns.jpg

What, no .40?:D

Catshooter
06-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Michael,

Couple of questions for you.

Your lube groove design looks different than Lee's, can one lubrisize your boolits?

I see you don't list a boolit for the 45 ACP. What do you shoot in yours?

Thanks.

Cat

Ranch Dog
06-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Your lube groove design looks different than Lee's, can one lubrisize your boolits?

It is the Lee Micro Band. I think how well the lube works depends on the lube.

I see you don't list a boolit for the 45 ACP. What do you shoot in yours

Funny you should ask that...

I've been shooting the Lee 452-230-2R first in my Glock 36 and then my Taurus PT745. I've actually dropped the Glock (in a trade) and now shoot just the PT745. In either pistol, I found the Lee 452 way under diameter but pushing it out the barrel is still more fun than shooting jacketed bullets. This afternoon, Tom Myers sent me the final drawings for the Ranch Dog 45 ACP bullet. True to the Dog's design philosophy, it is generous in diameter to fill the chamber's freebore and utilizes the round flat nose with a near 72% meplat. What Tom's software product is suggesting is a 239-grain bullet.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TL457240RF/chamber/TL457240RF_01.jpg

It will go through my usual process of evaluation and this will be one of the bullets I introduce in 2012. I have two final offerings coming yet this year, the TLC359-175-RF and the TL256-57-RF.

Catshooter
06-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Ah ha! Amazing that you actually started this whole Ranch Dog pistol boolit design with something other than the .45! Who'd a thought? :)

Looks very similar to the BD 45 concept, which is high praise from me.

Mmm. For your testing purposes, do you have access to any 3rd generation S&W 45s? The reason I ask is that the slide lock tab that protrudes into the frame and is activated by the magazine follower on these Smiths is quite long. Much longer than a 1911. Ask me how I know!

The BD 45 does not engage this tab, but an older 454424 will. This makes the slide lock open with each shot. Lyman's current 452424 doesn't engage it either.

If I can help with your testing let me know. I have two Smiths in .45.

Cat

Ranch Dog
06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
It will be about 2 months but I might send you some bullets if I cannot find the pistol locally.

Catshooter
07-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Be happy to help. Two or three boolits should do.

Cat

0verkill
12-20-2011, 04:34 AM
You know how to make a fellow "Red" with envy. I would like to find a 25 ACP trimmer as it is a chore on my Lyman trimmer!

Me too. Why doesn't LEE still make these?

ncbearman
09-28-2012, 09:28 PM
I would ove to revive this thread. As some of you know I inherited my grandaddy's Colt 25. I want to cast and load for it. I got a set of RCBS dies and the #15 shell holder. I still need a mould and some brass. I think I can get some brass a our range here. Anyway, let the games begin again. Any help on the items I need would be appreciated. Thanks.

Russ

rintinglen
09-28-2012, 11:36 PM
I reloaded a few boxes of .25 ACP for a close friend a few years ago. He paid for all the dies, bullets, brass, etc.. If I had known how much of a PITA it was gonna be, I'd have never even mentioned it to him.

Amen. My experience exactly parralels Jim's. Those dinky cases and tiny bullets were very difficult to manipulate without dropping them. It took me about 4 times as long to reload 100 25 ACP as it did to reload 38's. I haven't tried it since.

I wonder about those fellows who load the 22 Hornet with cast. How on earth do they manage to get gas checks on them?

I'll Make Mine
09-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Honestly, for .25 ACP, a Lee Classic Loader is about as good as anything you'd mount on a press. I've done it (a few rounds only) with the Lee, works well if you have the right bullet (a minimum weight .257 rifle bullet isn't it).

What you'll find the hardest is getting the powder into the case consistently -- it's a small charge by any standard, the case mouth is small, and the case is too short to use the usual reverse taper powder funnel easily. One solution is to cut the spout short on a reverse taper funnel, but you still have to find a way to stand the brass that will keep it from tipping if you bump the loading bench, but won't keep the funnel too high and allow powder to drop alongside, instead of inside the case.

Then there's finding your brass -- I've considered many times making a shooting glove with a built-on brass catcher for use with .25, .32, and .380 auto pistols. Never gotten around to it; probably would have if I'd shot my pocket pistols more (and likely would have shot 'em more if I could recover the brass well enough to reload).

Piedmont
09-29-2012, 03:39 AM
Who makes good .25 autos these days? About 30 years ago I briefly owned a Baby Browning. Still have lots of brass, the dies, and even a boolit mold.

0verkill
09-29-2012, 05:51 AM
I'd like to know that too. I've got an old FIE Titan I gave 50 bucks for, and have since invested way more than that in reloading dies, swage dies, a mould and bullet size dies. I've given thought to a Phoenix HP-25, anyone here have experience?

Invest in a tarp to save brass. With the 25 you may have to stand on it rather than beside it.

A 25 ACP LEE Loader, that would be awesome to have.

I'll Make Mine
09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Piedmont, the Beretta Jetfire is still available under a different model name; it's probably the best .25 ACP pistol I've seen or handled (I owned a knock-off back in the early 1980s). The pop-up barrel is nice, easy to clean and you can load a chamber round easily, either before or after inserting the magazine.

tejano
10-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I am already a several times member of the mickey mouse club (32 acp) and never really thought I would go smaller. But then today when I stopped by my favorite sin store during the lunch hour there was a Beretta 950BS that was not there last week. With the hook already on my lips I asked El Jefe what he would take for it and when he said $135 the hook was set. I bought a box of factory ammo to go along with it and hope to shoot it and a couple of other mouse guns tomorrow or Thursday. I don't cast, but I understand that Carolina Bullets sells one bullet for the 25 acp so the temptation to buy dies so that I can reload for this thing may be too great to resist.

shotman
10-09-2012, 06:03 PM
well get you a case of beer and the wife and sit down. you have a JOB on your hands
If you have a 5yr old that would help to hold boolits

0verkill
10-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I've never thought reloading 25 ACP was anywhere near as hard as most people make it out to be. The only problem I've had is finding brass.

scarry scarney
10-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I hear you. I picked up dies and a mold here in the swapping area, and now can't find any brass! If you get a lead on a source of brass, please share.

I'll Make Mine
10-10-2012, 12:30 PM
The easiest source of brass for a .25 is likely to be factory ammunition, as long as you have a reliable method of recovering the cases after firing. Given a recovery method, a couple boxes of rounds will keep you reloading for a good while (.25 ACP brass ought to last dozens of loadings, maybe more if you anneal the mouths every tenth use).

NoZombies
10-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I've got .25 dies, molds, even one of the Lee trimmers and a Lee loader. One of these days, I'll pick up a .25 pistol :veryconfu

0verkill
10-11-2012, 08:40 AM
I wonder which is rarer, the trimmer or loader? I've never seen either, and believe me I've looked.

NoZombies
10-11-2012, 10:26 AM
I honestly have no idea which is rarer. I got mine as a set off of ebay. Someone had just listed it with a buy-it-now price while I was cruising auctions late one night. Interesting to note is that the paperwork that came with it said it (the loader) was a custom order, and didn't include a powder dipper or load data. There was no paperwork with the trimmer, but I suspect it was a custom job as well.

ncbearman
10-12-2012, 04:19 AM
I hear you. I picked up dies and a mold here in the swapping area, and now can't find any brass! If you get a lead on a source of brass, please share.

I just got 200 from brassman.
http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/-strse-Pistol-Brass-%2825-Auto--dsh--38-Special%29/Categories

NoZombies, do you have lube groove moulds for the .25acp and if so would you like to part with one?

Freischütz
10-12-2012, 06:44 PM
I believe you'll find a brass catcher is a valuable addition to your shooting equipment. I load 32 ACP and would have lost most of my brass without the catcher.

ncbearman
10-13-2012, 12:30 PM
I believe you'll find a brass catcher is a valuable addition to your shooting equipment. I load 32 ACP and would have lost most of my brass without the catcher.

This would be most distracting to me. Although I can see how it would save brass.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_23840507996a78c33a.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=7023)

I'll Make Mine
10-13-2012, 01:46 PM
This would be most distracting to me. Although I can see how it would save brass.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_23840507996a78c33a.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=7023)

It'd be even worse if adjusted to where my .380 throws the brass (almost perfectly over my right shoulder). And Photoshop in a tiny .25 pistol, and it gets downright silly. Then again, if it lets you reload instead of paying $18 a box for factory .25 ACP rounds, I bet you could get used to it...

I've seen small deflectors that mount under the right grip -- they don't catch the brass, just ensure it falls at the shooter's feet instead of scattering over a space like a golf course tee box. Don't recall who made them, and it's been a long time since I saw the little squib article, but I bet I could make one from sheet metal to fit my GT-27...

ncbearman
10-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Grab your minnow net and what ever gun is around, put them both in your hand at the same time and bang.............you have a new product. Can you say "Pet Rock". I missed the boat again.

Tarps.................if I get back 60 or 70 percent I'm happy. Besides, that way I will have to buy more in the S7S section here. Right?

tejano
10-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I had no idea that minnie mouse shooters were subject to such ridicule, but since my newly acquired Jetfire shot Remington factory ammo well enough, a Midway order for dies will happen shortly. :)

P.S. I recovered 47 of 50 from the first box, but that may have just been beginner's luck.

Hamish
10-13-2012, 04:10 PM
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_22&products_id=18

0verkill
10-13-2012, 05:31 PM
I had no idea that minnie mouse shooters were subject to such ridicule, but since my newly acquired Jetfire shot Remington factory ammo well enough, a Midway order for dies will happen shortly. :)

P.S. I recovered 47 of 50 from the first box, but that may have just been beginner's luck.

Either luck or really good eyes! I usually recover 25 ACP's at a rate of 1 case every 2 mags, but I'm shooting in grass. I finally bought a tarp to catch my brass, I never liked any of the brass catchers I've seen.

FergusonTO35
10-13-2012, 06:15 PM
I bet you can improve your find rate by choosing a load that doesn't fling 'em as far. My usual .32 Auto practice load for the Kel Tec deposits most of them close to each other about seven feet to the right. 0verkill, does Raccoon really have its own PD?

0verkill
10-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Well they did, until the whole city was nuked by the U.S. Govt. back in '98.

As to the flinging, my little 25 throws them almost sstright up. The last round actually hits my hand sometimes (always the last round for some reason).

Freischütz
10-14-2012, 06:03 PM
You can buy or make a brass catcher that sits on the shooting bench rather than attaches to your wrist or the gun. That's what I use. However I do know several people that use a catcher that attaches to their wrist, and they are happy with them.

Alferd Packer
03-29-2020, 11:38 AM
Honestly, for .25 ACP, a Lee Classic Loader is about as good as anything you'd mount on a press. I've done it (a few rounds only) with the Lee, works well if you have the right bullet (a minimum weight .257 rifle bullet isn't it).

What you'll find the hardest is getting the powder into the case consistently -- it's a small charge by any standard, the case mouth is small, and the case is too short to use the usual reverse taper powder funnel easily. One solution is to cut the spout short on a reverse taper funnel, but you still have to find a way to stand the brass that will keep it from tipping if you bump the loading bench, but won't keep the funnel too high and allow powder to drop alongside, instead of inside the case.

Then there's finding your brass -- I've considered many times making a shooting glove with a built-on brass catcher for use with .25, .32, and .380 auto pistols. Never gotten around to it; probably would have if I'd shot my pocket pistols more (and likely would have shot 'em more if I could recover the brass well enough to reload).

You can cut off a 223 cartridge case just past the web in the base of the shell and use that for a powder funnel in a .25 acp case, also to flare the case to start in a cast bullet. PM

smkummer
03-30-2020, 07:00 PM
I have both the colt 1908 vest pocket and colt (astra) junior 25. I like the hammer on the (astra) Colt and better sights. I lucked out finding a NOS Lyman mold for this gun. RCBS dies. I was worried that I didn’t have a sizer for the cast bullet but they load and shoot fine as cast. I simply can’t use a loading block so about 1/2 box( cases) just sit on the loading bench and I move them after completing a stage. Too cheap to pay $25 per box of 50 for factory. I am lucking if inshoot either gun more than once a year but I have over 100 handguns. Absolutely, if you have no preference between 25 auto and 22LR in a mousegun, pick the 22LR. Oops, I use a 22 short case for a powder scoop.