PDA

View Full Version : Driped lead shot

Rcmaveric
04-01-2018, 02:29 AM
I have been wanting to start reloading for my shot guns. Mostly plan on busting clays and bunnies and occasional slugs and buckshot for deer season. While i finnish gathering supplies to start reloading shotshells and looking at the prices of shot i about had a heart attack. I broke down and bought a bag of #7.5 to experiment with but cost me 56 bucks. While i wait for wads i broke out the you tube and google and was able to fabricate an apparatus to make shot.

I know it needs to be dried and graphited. But does it need to be sorted and how? Is it good enough to bust clays with? Size of the shot is all over the place. I am surprised i got it that close to round, not purfectly

Took 2 days of experimenting. Today i made about 20 ish pounds in an hour or so if this is usable.
round.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180401/95ab5ad2022c5ba8f34795d319a230e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Rcmaveric
04-01-2018, 02:42 AM
My shot next to commercial 7.5. They started to roll together. Graphited is store bought and non is my cast.

Shot was casted from range scraps.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180401/d9f85315977abc08a3d4f1c19c9b1c9e.jpg

MyFlatline
04-01-2018, 07:12 AM
I have been reading too on how to cast shot. Head pressure and cooling fluid have been the biggest things I have read. Would like to see pictures of you shot maker.

GhostHawk
04-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Looks like good shot to me.

I think they graphite it because a loaded shot shell still has some access to air. Meaning shot will oxidise, turn white. If it does that in the shell you are going to be shooting masses of shot clumped together. More like slugs. Graphite coating prevents that.

As for your other questions, I'd shoot it and see.

Is it good enough to bust clays with? I suspect it is.

The shot I made 2 years ago and stored in 2 liter pop bottles is still shiny. But no access to air.

Load what you will use this year. Stash the rest against need.

Screens are available I believe from Grainger for removing large and small shot.

toallmy
04-01-2018, 08:51 AM
I'd shoot it , I have seen some pretty rough looking reclaimed shot work well . I must say good job .

dverna
04-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Graphite keeps the shot from bridging when delivering into the hull down the drop tube.

Shot is not cast, BTW

It looks useable to me but take some large pieces of paper and pattern it. Check the diameter and get an average. Deduct that from .17 and that is your shot size. Ex, if it averages .12, you have #5 shot. If it averages .09, you have #8 shot.

rancher1913
04-01-2018, 10:05 AM
look up ghosthawks thread on homemade shot, lots of photos and advice as well as what works and what don't. several of us copied his setup and now make usable shot.

RED333
04-01-2018, 01:01 PM
Here is my setup
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?338100-Electric-shot-dripper&highlight=RED333

Rcmaveric
04-01-2018, 04:31 PM
I use a cookie sheet. Bought the wife a new one and took her old one. Slightly bent the cookie sheet long ways to make the lead puddle in the middle. Then i bent up the edge to catch the lead puddle. Didnt have enough pressure with out it.

To make the hole. I used a nail to make dent where i want the hole. Then i use screw because it has a better point. Just make a dent and not a whole. Once a decent dent was there. I lightly sanded the dent till i had a needle hole. I didnt have enought pressure to make that pin hole drip, so i use a sowing needle to expand the pin hole til it drips.

For the ramp. First attempt, wouldnt work. Lessons learn were to sharpen its eadges so there are no burs. Ramp needs to be hot enough to melt lead so the kead skips down it. I dont think the ramp needs to be lubed. But rubbed Mica on it. If a bur of lead would build up, i put a few drops of 2 stroke oil on a q-tip and wipe the ramp. It would flash and drip fin after words. Use a rivets to attach the ramp. JB weld will not work no matter how much you wish and try. It catches fire and turns to dust.

I had to put a nick in the edge to make it bend long ways. Once bent the edges over lapped and out a few rivets in it to make it tight and not leak lead. Makes great reference marks. Fill puddle to just below to top rivet and refill once you hit the bottom rivet.

I use a camping propane stove. I am sure i can use any heat source as long as the ramp is also heates.

Coolant container is just a military flare container. Lesson learn is to agitate it. Listen for the quenching sound. If you dont hear the quesnt mix it. I tried numerous containers and it needs to be deep.

All in all, 8 dollars worth of dollar store fabric softener and a dollar atore cookie sheet. And a 20 dollar camping stove and propane (Ozark traiks one to be specific, take the heat deflector off so the pan and ramp can sit on the burner, the use half of a can to protect the nob from heat). Thats about a 30 dollar investment to make shot. Just need graphite and wads now and to start the next leg of my experiments.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180401/59afeadcaf10f9229928aa61cd917dd0.jpg

toallmy
04-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Love it thinking out of the box

GhostHawk
04-01-2018, 08:43 PM
Awesome!

Budzilla 19
04-01-2018, 08:46 PM
back in the '80's, my dad and I bought a Littleton shot maker, still have it, haven't made shot in a while, but the shot we made looked just like yours !!! It's a learning curve, but I wouldn't hesitate a second to load and shoot that shot! As for busting clays, just send it! your patterns might be off a little as opposed to factory shot, but sometimes in the clay target game, you get that "golden bb" that breaks a target!!! Good job, sir!

MyFlatline
04-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Maybe one of you guys that has a dripper would rent it out, say for maybe 30 days. One could make enough shot for a year and pass it on along. Sorry, I'm cheap...I don't shoot competition but would like to make 100 pounds a year.

Rcmaveric
04-01-2018, 09:00 PM
I was looking at the shot drippers. Experminting is half the fun. I like to learn some thing before i commit the big bucks.

As of now i am able to get consistent shot size by controling the head pressure. To control the head pressure i cast sheets if lead and break it up into chips. Now the chips slowly melt and feed the make shift ladel.

Faster it drips, the smaller the shot.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/e1621af332ca2d53d89057409d22f9e6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/9634493db4205075fdbea6fc84fa09ac.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/f0f5cdcf8006a8222add22f688758c43.jpg

Rcmaveric
04-01-2018, 09:03 PM
By the time i am done tinking you realize its good enough. Then you whisper to your self... you know what, that will do donkey, that will due.

If this all works as plans i might buy the ladel off ebay and then get a drippers from Littleton. I know that will last longer than my back yard engineering. I am not a welder or machinists. Just an electrician.

Rcmaveric
04-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Maybe one of you guys that has a dripper would rent it out, say for maybe 30 days. One could make enough shot for a year and pass it on along. Sorry, I'm cheap...I don't shoot competition but would like to make 100 pounds a year.I wouldnt rent it out nor borrow it. Things tend to break or fet lost. The drippers arent that badly expensive. Seven bucks and dripper.

I want something like the Shannon Master Shot. Surprisingly thid little pan pumping it out. Just sitting here on the porch playing with lead and watching tv.

MyFlatline
04-01-2018, 09:10 PM
I wouldnt rent it out nor borrow it. Things tend to break or fet lost. The drippers arent that badly expensive. Seven bucks and dripper.

I want something like the Shannon Master Shot. Surprisingly thid little pan pumping it out. Just sitting here on the porch playing with lead and watching tv.

Was a bit tongue and cheek Rc.. More teasing about me being cheap..

Rcmaveric
04-01-2018, 09:14 PM
My bad. I am in the zone and missed the humor. Lol i read that and thought of a few friendships ruined over loaned out video games and comic books.

MyFlatline
04-01-2018, 09:20 PM
No Biggie..:) Reminds me of a sticker I had on my tool box,,,Don't ask to borrow my tools and I won't ask to borrow your wife..

You mention the head pressure. I am looking for hunting shot, say #5's or #6. Could that be done with just head pressure? of would a different nozzle be needed. I'm still plotting an planning. I think I have the heat figured out by using my Lee pot and a hot plate. Now for the shot size..

Rcmaveric
04-01-2018, 10:21 PM
We same the same about asking to ride some ones motorcycle.

If i could have built enough pressure to make the first hole drip it would have been some small shot. I couldnt get it to drip so i hammered a sowing needle through the hole.

This shot is hovering around plus and minus 7.5 shot size more inconsistently than last batch. I use 7.5 for clays and rabbits. I try to dove hunt. Never could hit them. I only go clay shooting a couple times year and i want to go monthly.

I will post a comparison picture after i am done running this batch.

At 56 bucks for 25lbs. I will run free range scraps all day.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/5b478762aee4c4c25243692125171d4b.jpg

rancher1913
04-01-2018, 10:41 PM
thats actually a really cool set up. the drippers are more forgiving on the back pressure. looks like you got the drop figured out, they look fairly round and should shoot just fine.

Rcmaveric
04-01-2018, 11:14 PM
I think it was more of beginners luck. I saw a video on you tube that was in russian. Couldnt understand what they old man was say but pictures are worth a thousand words.

As far as hunting use, thats why i waz curious if there was a sifter i coul buy or make. Sort out the small ones for the rare dove hunt and keep the rest for clays and rabbits.

Rcmaveric
04-02-2018, 12:23 AM
There we have todays labors. One full camping propane canister from walmart. Started at 6pm and just now finished stifting the fails, or at least what i could. So thats six hours of labor and made about 30lbs. Minus 5 dollars i just earned 50ish bucks for watching TV. Need to devise a better sifter for the other fails. Will have to look at hardware cloth because i am too lazy to drill holes. The lack of symetry to the holes drilled would give me OCd relapse.

Other pictures is the few OZs of fail. 217498https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/65b07b7347673946255edb3e3408d15e.jpg

Rcmaveric
04-02-2018, 12:29 AM
Left to right: first attempt, second trial, commercial 7.5

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/f3a75eec5d7907cdfecaf47564a56e13.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/637a65c1d668d2107413ee138e1820c7.jpg

MyFlatline
04-02-2018, 06:50 AM
Looks good. I think hardware cloth will be to big, some screen on the other hand....

dverna
04-02-2018, 06:52 AM
Or you could have sold 30 lbs of lead for $1.00.....making what you “earned” less than $20 for 6 hours of work.

You can have lead shot shipped to your door for about $40/bag or less if you purchase reclaim. I buy in bulk and pay less than $40/bag for new hard shot.

Making shot is neat but a a waste of time if you look at the real costs. BTW, even “free” lead has value. It is easy to sell for $1/lb.

Gewehr-Guy
04-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Instead of using graphite, try using Lundmark liquid floor wax to coat your shot. I just put a little in a plastic jar with shot and agitate it a bit, and dump out on newspaper to dry. It leaves it nicely coated and much cleaner than graphite.

GhostHawk
04-02-2018, 07:46 AM
You know that ebay pan with drippers was not that expensive.
A jet type turkey fryer adjusted and adapted to the job is not that expensive.

100 lbs of COWW that will just about double your investment. But get 100 lbs.

So in theory if you run 100 lbs of good shot you paid for your tools and just about broke even cost wise. But now you can run another 100 lbs for just the cost of the lead. Now your starting to save.

So what are you waiting for?

Markopolo
04-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Has anybody tried Liquid Alox and kinda tumble lube their shot????

Just wondering.....

rancher1913
04-02-2018, 10:19 AM
the idea with coating is to keep them from sticking together when shot, I think alox would make them stick together.

finstr
04-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Man you guys are pushing me to try this shot making!
What's the largest shot size you guys have made? I use a fair bit of BB and #2 for coyotes. It's really tough to find lead in those sizes nowadays

RogerDat
04-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Should be out less than $100 for set of dripper bolts and a pre-made steel pan. Which is probably on my someday nice to have list just because it is another step toward being able to load what I want until the components run out. I would have to use a lot more shot than I do to justify it since as dverna pointed out bulk purchase or reclaimed shot might allow one to have a "robust" supply at the bench sufficient for modest needs at a reasonable cost and less time investment. If I bought one I would probably do just like the OP. Get it working, make a nice size batch, and sit back content in the knowledge I could do it again if I wanted or needed to.

I really like the OP's whole idea of whipping up a solution out of assorted everyday items. Solving the problems that come up and gaining an understanding of how to git-r-done pretty decent with just what is readily available. I might have to keep an eye out when I'm at the Salvation Army looking for pewter to see if I can score a cookie or square cake pan to give that approach a try. Have sheet metal, have rivets, can bend things. If I got it to work I might try to pick up a couple of buckets of WW's and sit sorting the Pb ones out while feeding lead into a homemade dripper. The final results by the OP seem entirely acceptable to me. I would be happy to fill up a couple of 25# bags with what is in those last pictures for the cost of a thrift store pan and a little shop time.

Not that it applies to the OP's use but one can cast buckshot and larger shot sizes #1, 00, and 000, plus #4 shot are all pretty readily available. #1 buckshot is approx. same as .310 round ball mold.

Rcmaveric
04-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Yes, the ladel and dripperd could be had for around 100 bucks. I will up grade to a more stable and rugged setup after experminting. I dont just have 100 bucks laying around. In the mean time i can drip shot and save my lunch money. Same goes for reclaimed shot. Though for another cookie sheet i could make another ladel with as many drippers as i wanted. Only other thing i would add. If you try this make sure the pan is stable. I need to make mine more stable. It is purched or ballanced so to speek. I have mulling over cradle ideas to hold the pan.

dverna
04-02-2018, 07:05 PM
If/when the SHTF, shot will be a difficult item to find. I like the simplicity of what you have come up with. I also was impressed with your first attempt as it looks like larger shot than the other home systems can produce. That is a real plus for small game hunting loads.

I keep a minimum of 40 bags of shot in reserve JIC. And I have a mold to produce buckshot and a mold for slugs but pray I will never need them.

You will be self sufficient whatever happens, and that is priceless.

jdfoxinc
04-02-2018, 07:27 PM
I bought various sized screens from multiple suppliers including geologists sieves. The only size I cant find is .085" to separate 8.5 from 9 shot.

dsh1106
04-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Left to right: first attempt, second trial, commercial 7.5

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/f3a75eec5d7907cdfecaf47564a56e13.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/637a65c1d668d2107413ee138e1820c7.jpg

Shot looks good, if you want it to be "round" try use COWW, these have both arsenic and antimony which will aid in the "roundness" during the dripping. I've spent 100's of hours in the last two year trying to make shot. I finally was able to produce round shot. but it has to have arsenic and antimony to work correctly.

I purchased a few sifting screens from Grainger and a few master screens from "too many things" here.

Search a copy of my posts on shot making and you can see what I found works.

Scott

GhostHawk
04-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Man you guys are pushing me to try this shot making!
What's the largest shot size you guys have made? I use a fair bit of BB and #2 for coyotes. It's really tough to find lead in those sizes nowadays

Don't think you will have much luck with trying to drip that large a size.

You get swan shot, globs, clumps and funky stuff.

The drippers are designed to produce maybe 6 - 9.

Think you'd have better luck casting small buckshot. T's or F's.
A bit bigger than your BB and dueces but should hit hard.

Out of all the shot I dripped when I had mine running I got maybe a cup or two of stuff that is bigger than 6 shot and reasonably round. Compared to 6-7 liters of 7.5's with a smattering of stuff that is a half size larger and smaller.

I really should think about some screens and graphite.

turtlezx
04-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Iam lucky i sell lead for $1.00 per lb local guy makes shot that looks factory made and sells it for $28.00 for 25lbs
$3.00 kicked in to buy it keep forget to tell him hes selling to cheep!!

Rcmaveric
04-03-2018, 12:09 AM
Shot looks good, if you want it to be "round" try use COWW, these have both arsenic and antimony which will aid in the "roundness" during the dripping. I've spent 100's of hours in the last two year trying to make shot. I finally was able to produce round shot. but it has to have arsenic and antimony to work correctly.

I purchased a few sifting screens from Grainger and a few master screens from "too many things" here.

Search a copy of my posts on shot making and you can see what I found works.

ScottI was reading about the arsenic. Will other grain refiners work? Like sulfur or selenium? I use mostly range scraps so i add sulfur to it which has the same affect as arsenic.

I am gonna have to search for the sieves. I just want to get the obvious big drips out. Maybe latter find a means to separate it out enough to have a clays/bunny load, dove load, and maybe a pheasant sized load. Its all an idea ar this moment.

Lee buckshot mold and the lee 7/8 slug mold is also on my list.

Cap'n Morgan
04-03-2018, 10:40 AM
Your shot looks great.

As you have already found out, arsenic is the real secret behind perfectly round shot. Many years ago a buddy and I ran an experiment to see if we could produce shot from a "shot tower" (my buddy worked in a power plant which had a building with sufficient height) We managed to drip perfect #4 shot but only when using reclaimed shot from factory loads. Any other alloys would produce teardrop shot.

I have used dripped #2 shot but they were far from perfect and the old guy who made them told me they were giving him a hard time.

At one time I considered building a machine with rotary plates and stuff which would roll the shot into perfect spheres - much the same way you roll a ball of play dough between your palms. Never got around to build it though, other plans got in the way... the story of my life :wink:

sargenv
04-03-2018, 12:58 PM
So besides wheel weights.. and reading about Sulfur, Copper, and Selenium useful as hardeners.. do any of the latter three work to keep lead shot round when being dropped or is Arsenic the only deal when making lead shot and wanting it to be round as opposed to tear drops..

dsh1106
04-03-2018, 06:56 PM
So besides wheel weights.. and reading about Sulfur, Copper, and Selenium useful as hardeners.. do any of the latter three work to keep lead shot round when being dropped or is Arsenic the only deal when making lead shot and wanting it to be round as opposed to tear drops..

To my understand the arsenic acts as a surface tensioner. I did quite a bit of research and COWW is your best bet, trying to alloy arsenic with lead isn't an easy task for us little guys.

Do a small trial run, everything the same, but use some COWW. I bet you'll see a huge "roundness" difference.

Scott

Rcmaveric
04-04-2018, 02:31 AM
Ready to go out and pattern.

Left to right:
Three shots with commercial 7.5, three shots from the first attempt (shot size looks around #5 size average), three shots drom the second run (thats closer to #7.5), then three shots of commercial Winchester Super X 2 3/4, 1.25oz, 7.5 shot.

These are 2.75 inch shells recipe is a published load:
Winchester 209 primers
1.25 oz of lead shot
WAA12SL wad
18 grains of Red Dot
Estimated 1200fps

I will patter these this weekend.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180404/756b3bd0f80652c27dcd0a70dc21b65f.jpg

Rcmaveric
04-04-2018, 02:43 AM
My alloy is range scraps fluxed with sulfur to get that into the mix. The shot is round ish. I cant say for certain how much sulfur gets into the mix but i know it gets into it. Sulfur does raise the surface tension. I can tell the didference by how high i need to run my casting pot to get good bases on the bullets.

I was also reading that tumbling helps make it more round. Time to get some paint cans to roll around. Thats not a bad idea, a paint can and old vscume cleaner motor...... no... no more projects.... fine i will start a list.

finstr
04-06-2018, 01:58 PM
I reload a fair bit of the old style Hevishot for waterfowl and none of it is even close to being round. It's a bunch of globs with smaller globs stuck to bigger globs and looks like the **** someone swept off the shop floor. It patterns amazingly well with fairly open chokes.
Now I know it's a totally different deal but I think there's an awful lot of emphasis placed on "roundness"

Rcmaveric
04-08-2018, 02:41 AM
My knowledge of patterns is rudimentary. Range was 20ish +/- yards. Hard to tell. I was farthest inwas allowed to be at my range. Density is towards the middle and mirrors the commercial stuff i normally use. So i am happy with my efforts and product. Time to load up a few hundred.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180408/78be65b25d41c646544b3d96c643258e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180408/25f82bfccef407a94701e5f72cf6e21e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180408/3d7ee9b05e0112141cd5f6b8a3bbf089.jpg

copdills
04-08-2018, 07:40 AM
looks great Man Thanks for all the tips

Good Shooting
copdills

GhostHawk
04-08-2018, 08:50 AM
I don't see any holes a bird or clay pigeon can fly through.

Looks like a winner to me.

mtgrs737
04-08-2018, 04:12 PM
I use a standard cartridge brass vibratory tumbler to polish and graphite my shot. I add a fired 22 lr. case of graphite to about 10-15 lbs. of shot and let it run for 45 minutes. My shot comes out shiney and black. If you have any graphite left in the bottom of the tumbler then you need less graphite. Too much graphite is worse than too little. If you plan to use the tumbler for anything else then you will need a spare bowl as the graphite will ruin the bowl for other uses.

I buy 12" square pieces of wire cloth from W.W. Graingers with the desired opening size to sift my shot. I mount the wire cloth in frames made of 2 x 4 lumber to make a sieve. I sieve over a large plastic storage tote and I use 2 liter pop bottles to store my shot.

Rcmaveric
04-08-2018, 05:24 PM
I use a standard cartridge brass vibratory tumbler to polish and graphite my shot. I add a fired 22 lr. case of graphite to about 10-15 lbs. of shot and let it run for 45 minutes. My shot comes out shiney and black. If you have any graphite left in the bottom of the tumbler then you need less graphite. Too much graphite is worse than too little. If you plan to use the tumbler for anything else then you will need a spare bowl as the graphite will ruin the bowl for other uses.

I buy 12" square pieces of wire cloth from W.W. Graingers with the desired opening size to sift my shot. I mount the wire cloth in frames made of 2 x 4 lumber to make a sieve. I sieve over a large plastic storage tote and I use 2 liter pop bottles to store my shot.Awesome thanks for the tips.

RED333
04-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Good patterns, thanks for sharing!

MyFlatline
06-10-2018, 04:49 PM

I buy 12" square pieces of wire cloth from W.W. Graingers with the desired opening size to sift my shot. I mount the wire cloth in frames made of 2 x 4 lumber to make a sieve. I sieve over a large plastic storage tote and I use 2 liter pop bottles to store my shot.

I am having trouble finding that at Grainger, must be in the wrong place. Help if you can.

Any other sources out there? 50 bucks a screen takes away all of the saving IMO..

copdills
06-11-2018, 07:12 AM
looks good , keep it up and thanks for all the information

MT Chambers
06-13-2018, 10:32 PM
I use a concrete mixer to wash, dry, tumble with graphite, another secret to getting round shot is to use the proper coolant that is the right thickness, too thick will give you shot with tails, too thin solution will give you shot with dents in it.

Rcmaveric
06-14-2018, 02:59 AM
too much water gives you pop corn... learned that on sunday. My coolant evaporated alot. I thought i would just add water and bring the level back to where it was. Well what ever evaporated off wasn't water. lol just a quick 10 dollar trip to the dollar store to replace it all.

copdills
06-14-2018, 04:52 AM
what kind of coolant are you using Rcmaveric and how deep is your tank

Alan in Vermont
06-14-2018, 06:48 AM
I am having trouble finding that at Grainger, must be in the wrong place. Help if you can.

Any other sources out there? 50 bucks a screen takes away all of the saving IMO..

I just screened a mess of mixed shot. Bought the screen from https://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-mesh/=1da1v5k I bought two different sizes, one of them, #9219T172 , passed everything 7½ & smaller. If you juggle the mesh size & wire diameter you can find something for opening size that should work for whatever size shot you're working with. Price of a 12" X 12" sheet of the size I used was $3.75 plus shipping.

MyFlatline
06-14-2018, 07:12 AM
I just screened a mess of mixed shot. Bought the screen from https://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-mesh/=1da1v5k I bought two different sizes, one of them, #9219T172 , passed everything 7½ & smaller. If you juggle the mesh size & wire diameter you can find something for opening size that should work for whatever size shot you're working with. Price of a 12" X 12" sheet of the size I used was $3.75 plus shipping.

Thanks, I will order some..

Jim.

GhostHawk
06-14-2018, 09:22 AM
Alan in V thank you for the link sir.

Just ordered 2 sheets, the smaller for 7.5 and under and the next size bigger.
Should get me 2 groups, small shot 7.5 and smaller and the larger should be 5's and 6's roughly.

Been thinking I need to get some graphite and treat mine and screen it.

Nice reasonable priced screen, thanks for posting.

MyFlatline
06-14-2018, 12:48 PM
McMaster's is gonna wonder why the sudden ordering on screens :)

Rcmaveric
06-15-2018, 01:27 AM
what kind of coolant are you using Rcmaveric and how deep is your tank

I use dollar store fabric softener. Its a military flare canister. Its simililar to 50 cal canister in looks but is twice as long and about three times deeper.

Rcmaveric
06-15-2018, 01:29 AM

You sire are awe some. Thanks for the link.

copdills
06-15-2018, 04:42 AM
I use dollar store fabric softener. Its a military flare canister. Its simililar to 50 cal canister in looks but is twice as long and about three times deeper.

Thank you Sir

GhostHawk
06-15-2018, 09:34 AM
I have also had good luck with the dollar store fabric softener.

I would start with aprox 75% softener and 25% water. Look at your shot and adjust as needed.

Rinses clean quickly and easily with cold water. (Garden hose)

jdfoxinc
06-15-2018, 10:18 AM
The Mexican fabric softener carried by Sam's club works well.

MyFlatline
06-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Thanks, I will order some..

Jim.
Wow, at the doorstep today. Super fast..Thanks again for the tip Alan..

Rcmaveric
06-22-2018, 11:59 PM
Left to right: Large (reject or appropriate sized game), medium ( looks good for rabbit), small for clays.

After thought, should have gotten one more screan to try and get the supper small stuff out of the small shot group. Possible dove use?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180623/f43064aa0eb7a79f3d54e48b239f0b92.jpg

copdills
06-23-2018, 12:44 AM
Looks Great keep up the good work

copdills
07-05-2018, 12:01 PM
how's everones shot makeing coming along, still trying mine is still not quite round as I want it yes , but still trying, lol

dsh1106
07-05-2018, 01:48 PM
I had some luck running Pure Lead through my shot maker. I had to raise the angle of the dripper to get it to run correctly. I ran about ~8#s of shot total. It's not near as round as using COWW, but for the cost and availability, I don't think the clay birds or anything else will know the it has dimples in it. I also adjusted the coolant, thickened it up and used a circulation pump to keep it cool.

Scott

Rcmaveric
07-05-2018, 06:20 PM
I haven't tried pure lead. I use straight range scraps and the come out good enough looking more oval. If i use clip on wheel weights they come out pretty darn round and going half and half range scraps to COWW keeps them pretty round.

I upgraded my coolant container size but haven't tested it yet. Been toying with an idea to circulate and cool the coolant but i am not sure if i will ever built it. My thought with other container is it was just barely deep enough to cool the shot before it touched the bottom and i had to constantly stir it or else the shot would stack and fuse. I wonder if an aquarium pump is good enough to move the coolant?

At any rate my lttle set up makes about 50lbs in a day so i cant complain. It all ready pays for its self.

I also just learned how to refill those little 1lb camping propane canisters.

Also got some antiseiz to try on the ramp.

dsh1106
07-05-2018, 06:29 PM
I'm using a outdoor fountain pump, maybe $15 or $20 @ tractor supply. You'll have to let me know if the anti seize works.

Rcmaveric
07-05-2018, 06:40 PM
I was thinking about making something like worm. Use a mason jar as a partical separater so you dont suck any shot through the pump. Then from the separator push the cool through a copper coil inside a small bucket full of ice water to cool the coolant https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180705/febbacf569858975bf826c491f9c0e84.jpg

dsh1106
07-05-2018, 07:01 PM
My setup is a 4 gallon bucket sitting in a drip pan with a drain hole. As the shot fills the bucket and displaces the coolant into the drip pan and drains into a bucket and gets pumped back into the bucket.

copdills
07-05-2018, 07:44 PM
thats some great ideas , thanks

jdfoxinc
07-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Bottles of frozen water work very well. They can be placed directly in shot cooling tank or in reservoir to be pumped back to cooling tank.