PDA

View Full Version : Compressor size question

AK Caster
03-31-2018, 09:20 AM
I am considering buying a compressor for my workshop. Currently do not own any air tools but would get an impact wrench for rotating tires, etc. and other common uses such as tire inflation. I do not do anything on the commercial level and only use the workshop on occasion. Might buy another air tool or two down the road but none would be used for extended times.
What size compressor can I can by with?

farmerjim
03-31-2018, 09:36 AM
If it is just for intermittent use of low consumption air tools, a one cylinder 2 hp with a 20 gal tank will work. If it is for moderate use of the higher consumption tools. go for a 2 cylinder 5 hp, 30 gal tank minimum.

smoked turkey
03-31-2018, 09:40 AM
These are big "ifs", but if your electrical panel has room for a 240 VAC breaker, I recommend you purchase a unit that can be wired for 240 vac. Get plenty of air hose for those long runs or even better plumb your shop with pipe for quick release fittings at various places where you anticipate needing compressed air. I confess that I have not plumbed my shop, but wish I had.

Three44s
03-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Air is pretty inefficient. You figure a reasonable size and then size up! Otherwise you will be waiting for it to build up long and often.

There is a reason that compressor prices shoot up exponentially as you size up.

Three44s

AK Caster
03-31-2018, 09:50 AM
These are big "ifs", but if your electrical panel has room for a 240 VAC breaker, I recommend you purchase a unit that can be wired for 240 vac. Get plenty of air hose for those long runs or even better plumb your shop with pipe for quick release fittings at various places where you anticipate needing compressed air. I confess that I have not plumbed my shop, but wish I had.

Way overkill for my use. Shop is 32x32 so can get by with a "worse case" hose length of 30 feet. Only one workbench and one vehicle at a time for tire rotating.

rockrat
03-31-2018, 10:38 AM
Mine is the 5 hp 2 cyl and my shop is is 30 x 35. The idea of plumbing the shop is a good one. Wish I had done that before I filled it with ju-- err stuff.

frkelly74
03-31-2018, 10:52 AM
Well, I opted for a portable compressor because I did not want to plumb the shop and also I wanted to be able to transport the compressor easily. The pancake units that harbor freight sells for about $100, when they are on sale, put out enough air to run a nail gun or maybe two, and if you get to nailing sheathing on a roof that can take a lot of air. (Get the replacement warranty, it is pretty cheap.) This is not the smallest one that they sell for $40 on sale, but the bigger one that you can still move around pretty easily. I opted for an electric impact wrench for my tire rotations and other high torque chores.

jcren
03-31-2018, 10:57 AM
The classic belt driven, 2 cylinder 5 hp/20+ gallon has long been the standard for farm and general shop use. Should be able to get a good one for around $350. Don't get too hung up on brand, pay attention to pump contruction (cast iron, copper finned transfer line, oil lubed) and overall build quality. We sold Coleman, Cambell Hausfeild (sp), DeWalt and others. It was surprising how often the actual pump would be identical but on a different style/color tank and different belt guard for $50-$100 difference in price. Also, stay away from air-up tires on your ompressor. Nothing worse than having to fix a flat on your compressor before you can air up a tire!

Btw, for the convenience of a plumbed shop, just go ahead and run 3/4" pvc with female couplers where you want to be able to tap in and a male coupling on a short whip hose where you plan to park your potrtable compressor. Plug the short hose into the compressor at the regulator for stationary compressor shop use , unplug it and use your regular 50' hose for portability.

472x1B/A
03-31-2018, 11:01 AM
Way overkill for my use. Shop is 32x32 so can get by with a "worse case" hose length of 30 feet. Only one workbench and one vehicle at a time for tire rotating.

With a 32x32 garage, 'way over kill for my use' not really. WAY back when, in my 24x24 garage, I had an Ingersoll-Rand 80 gal., upright, 240vac. compressor. Want to kick myself every day for selling it, but was in need of $$$. Really do your home work on sizes and future needs. Be live me, you my regret later not getting something just a little bigger than what you think you need right now. Also go with an inline filter/oiler, another added benefit to your tools.

country gent
03-31-2018, 11:10 AM
Ideally for a shop area garage put the compressor out side in its own little "room" with screened wall or louvered wall. and plum the air inside with a switch on the wall to turn on and off.The advantages are compressor runs cooler and thus longer, The running compressor is outside away from you making for a quieter shop. The pipe used for plumbing the line adds 2 the air capacity of the tank increasing the supply available, a 2" line 20-30' long holds a lot of air.
If you go for the plumbed air lines bring the drops off the top of the main, this keeps condensation out of the air lines better. And a drop off the bottom to floor level along one wall to drain condensate of into a bucket. A tee in the line up and 2"-1/2 or 3/4" reducer bushing, close nipple 90* elbow 2" nipple and 90* elbow then the length of pipe down required to put the quick couples at the right height for the area. A couple drops over the bench is very handy.
As to air tools a couple die grinders in different sizes, impact driver, air ratchet, tire chuck and blow gun cover a lot.

waksupi
03-31-2018, 11:23 AM
For needs like yours, a small contractor compressor is plenty. If you ever want to run a sand blaster, you are going to need pretty large capacity.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-31-2018, 11:46 AM
Air impact wrenches have different efficiencies. I have a few of them, a couple of the cheap HF units will drain my small tank quickly, but the newest unit I got from HF is a better more efficient high torque design and doesn't use near as much air.

I could explain my situation exactly like the OP's predicted situation, I've always wanted a larger air compressor, but for 20+ years I've gotten by with a homemade air compressor with a real old 3/4 electric motor on a 15 gallon homemade tank...I don't know what size the belt driven air unit is?

gpidaho
03-31-2018, 11:54 AM
The electric impact wrench is good advice. Compressors are a go big or go home sort of deal and for the price you'd be far better off having the tire shop handle your rotations. Gp

lefty o
03-31-2018, 11:57 AM
if all your ever going to do is use an impact to change tires, you do not need a lot of compressor. a medium small 110v with a 20-30gal tank is plenty. where you need to be concerned is doing a lot of non stop work, or using air sanders, paint guns, sandblasters, those all use large quantities of air.

AK Caster
03-31-2018, 01:03 PM
I tried a new electric Dewalt impact. It would not loosen the lug nuts on my Ford truck and Expedition. Dewalt was rated at like 370 foot pounds. Lugs were torqued to 150, figure that one out.

MT Gianni
03-31-2018, 01:20 PM
I had no problems with Dewalts electric impacts. I ran 18 Volt tools then went to 20 V when I worked full time. Most were used to break down pipe flanges but also assisted folks with flats. Out of probably 12 tire changes there was one I needed to put a breaker bar on. At 150 ft lbs your lugs had been overtightened, AK Caster.

AK Caster
03-31-2018, 02:24 PM
I had no problems with Dewalts electric impacts. I ran 18 Volt tools then went to 20 V when I worked full time. Most were used to break down pipe flanges but also assisted folks with flats. Out of probably 12 tire changes there was one I needed to put a breaker bar on. At 150 ft lbs your lugs had been overtightened, AK Caster.

Not true. Owners manual calls for 150 ft pounds for both.

fecmech
03-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Look for the output capacity of the compressor. I have about a $300. Craftsmen compressor that puts out 7 cf/min@90 psi. It runs my 1/2" impact just fine for tire changing and I used it to remove all the mortar in my stone house using the air chisel. I don't have to wait for it to build up at all. I believe something like that would be more than adequate for your use.

bangerjim
03-31-2018, 02:37 PM
Most normal air tools call for at least 90-100 PSI and anywhere from 2 to 8 CFM.....something a small little pancake direct drive unit will NOT do.

I have 4 different sizes of compressors for my needs:

For pumping up tires and small tools a compact pancake direct a drive unit will work. I have one in my small model/casting shop and it works well for the ESPC guns. But it cycles a lot!!!!!!!!! And is noisy as heck, being direct drive. Belt drives, like on table saws, are much quieter!!!!!!!

For my big shop I have a 100 gallon 10HP 2 lung 220V big boy that will handle anything I hook up to it!!! But is cost 7X what the little pancake unit did.

Figure your FUTURE needs and buy accordingly. Also the hoses you want/need to be the largest you can find/afford. Running tools on a 1/4” ID coiled plastic *** (HF) will never work for most people. And invest in good quality quick connects!

EDG
03-31-2018, 03:14 PM
Just look up the CFM requirement for the tool that uses the most air and compare to the capacity of the compressor.

Jeff Michel
03-31-2018, 03:59 PM
Get as big as one as you can afford. Equipment operated by air uses more CFM than you would think, big tanks 60-80 gallon holds a bunch and if your running an impact or a DA sander not to mention a scat blast. The tools turn pretty doggy if you run low on air. Just my opinion, others will differ.

Smoke4320
03-31-2018, 05:04 PM
the more CFM you can afford to get the better ...30 gallon tank or more if wanting to run an air grinder, die grinder, Torque wrench
Small sand blaster if you stop and wait for the compressor to catch up

Mal Paso
03-31-2018, 06:08 PM
My first compressor was a Craftsman (Speedair) 2 HP that pulled a little over 11 amps x 240. Looks like it's almost 4 HP now. Nice to know somethings get more powerful with age.

When did one electric Horse Power get to be 745 watts?

If you notice all the Air Plumbing kits are Polyethylene. PVC exposed to light and air gets brittle over time and when it fails it breaks into jagged pieces..... Polyethylene just splits lengthwise.

lightman
03-31-2018, 06:08 PM
Just look up the CFM requirement for the tool that uses the most air and compare to the capacity of the compressor.

This is what you need to do. You can get the air requirements out of a catalog or on line. Look at the requirements of the most demanding tool that you plan to use and decide if the cost is worth it to you.

Plumbing a shop for air is a good idea and I'm glad that I did mine. I plumbed my compressor where I could connect an air hose up to either regulated or unregulated air. I bought more compressor than most home shops need, but thats just me. Mine is a 2 stage commercial model that pumps around 17CFM and 175PSI, 5HP and an 80 gallon tank.

clong
03-31-2018, 11:05 PM
<not sure what happened to the quote>

DO NOT DO THIS. PVC pipe under air pressure explodes with shrapnel when it fails. And it will. I have seen pieces of PVC pipe embedded an inch deep in a 2x4. Copper, black iron, or aluminum are good to go.

AK Caster
04-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the input. Seems most impact guns need around 5 CFM. So I will keep my eyes on for a decent compressor on sale that puts out about 6 CFM and 25-30 gallon.
Home Depot has a 30 gallon that delivers the CFM I need for $319 so will take a look at it my next visit to their store.

starnbar
04-01-2018, 10:50 AM
I started out small first garage in the house I had was a one car ended up with a 2 car garage with a 10x25 back section walled of with a door to the rest of the garage I now have a 5 hp 30 gallon coleman that has run everyday for the past 15 years you can run a paint gun or a impact with no problem the compressor will keep up with it.

MT Gianni
04-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Not true. Owners manual calls for 150 ft pounds for both.

Sorry I have never seen them spec over 125.

xs11jack
04-01-2018, 08:11 PM
What ever you do, do not buy a diaphragm compressor, they are so loud they will give you headaches and damage your hearing. By a piston type with oil lubed crankshaft and is belt driven.
Ole Jack

Bazoo
04-01-2018, 08:58 PM
I have a 30 gallon, i've had a 2 gallons, and at the work place had 2 80 gallon tanks hooked in unison. If you get a 30 gallon, you're going to be marginal really for an impact other than just a couple bolts. Then you'll have to let the tank fill.

What you might consider, if you dont want to get a 60 or 80 gallon compressor, which really is the way to go if you're not looking for portability, is to get a 30 gallon compressor, and then get an extra tank in 60 or 80 gallons and hook it up with hoses so the compressor fills both. . You wont get any more CFM out of your motor, but you'll get more run time and a lot more torque

Mr_Sheesh
04-01-2018, 09:10 PM
I saw something smart once, guy I knew had built storage racks in his shop, full length, out of square steel tubing (May've been rectangular) for his shop - He drilled 1/4" holes (I think, it was some nice decent size) where the tubing was welded together, then plumbed his air compressor into that so it acted as a large tank & air distribution manifold. If he needed another tap, he'd just use the pneumatic drill to drill another hole, and screw in an air takeoff there. Smart idea, thinking of doing that when I move.

Bazoo
04-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Shop we had, we used 1/2 steel iron pipe to run all over the building and then broke off from that with T fittings to soft line wherever we needed it.

M-Tecs
04-01-2018, 10:48 PM
Stay away from the direct drive oil less. The are really noisy. I have a C-Aire portable. I don't believe they make portables anymore but it is the quietest compressor I have been around.

https://www.wikihow.com/Choose-an-Air-Compressor

Size chart here. https://www.compressorpros.com/air-compressors/c-aire-air-compressors-piston-reciprocating/

AK Caster
04-02-2018, 02:29 PM
This is what I am leaning towards:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30-Gal-175-PSI-High-Performance-Quiet-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-C303H/206532808

Thoughts?

Elkins45
04-02-2018, 03:36 PM
What ever you do, do not buy a diaphragm compressor, they are so loud they will give you headaches and damage your hearing. By a piston type with oil lubed crankshaft and is belt driven.
Ole Jack

Not only are they loud, they wear out much quicker.

Boolit_Head
04-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Get the biggest one you can afford. You will grow into it. After getting irritated with some smaller ones I went and got the biggest single stage I could find. Both Lowes and Home Depot sell the same compressor under different labels with a 60 gallon tank and getting anything bigger than that means jumping to a dual stage with a big jump in price.

This one is similar to what I got.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

mold maker
04-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Compressors are like safes. Once you have one it will quickly become too small.

jcren
04-02-2018, 04:50 PM
This is what I am leaning towards:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30-Gal-175-PSI-High-Performance-Quiet-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-C303H/206532808

Thoughts?

I wouldn't. That one is a direct drive oil-less. Tend to be noisey and the piston version use Teflon type piston rings which don't last long.

I got my dad one like this exept it had a 26 gal tank, same pump and motor, about 4 years ago for farm use. Pretty quiet and lots of air for impacts or blowing out mowers, baler, radiators, etc. Only thing I have done to it was tighten the belt once as it started slipping after break-in.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermate-20-gal-Horizontal-Portable-Compressor-Kit-PP1682066-KIT/205795169

Grmps
04-02-2018, 05:56 PM
My 2¢ worth.
I love my Makita 18 volt 1/2 inch impact driver for changing tires.
Air wrenches are going to take much more air than air guns

mpkunz
04-02-2018, 06:10 PM
Just a FWIW, but my air reservoir is made from 11 old 20 lb. propane cylinders. I have a Home Depot air compressor that takes about 15 minutes to fill them all when there is no pressure. Once filled I can operate the shop all day and have the compressor only kick on twice. This is important to consider as duty time on the compressor will determine its lifespan. Mine has been in service since 1999. Oh, if you do this, be sure to install a moisture trap. I got mine at Grainger https://www.grainger.com/product/4ZL08?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916756597!!!g!82166065557!&ef_id=Wow3iwAAAF3dbkN7:20180402220933:s

PaulG67
04-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Go here https://www.eatoncompressor.com/ and check out this https://www.eatoncompressor.com/bare-pumps/13-cfm-air-compressor-pump . I am not sure of it now but when I bought my pump from them, a 5hp, 3 cylinder two stage unit, they where 100 % made in America. I have been using mine for 15/17 years and it is still going like new.