PDA

View Full Version : Electronics on older Bullet Master

hunter74
03-30-2018, 05:38 AM
As some of you know I have an older Bullet Master. Lately I had to change some of the electronics. I've installed 4 new heating elements, new thermocouples and I changed out one of the temp controllers controlling the pouring side of the pot, after it broke. I here is the problem now at hand..... The unit I got from fleabay broke again after a few times used. It's locked on open so it's heating at full blast all the time. The unit I'm in need of are the Chromalox 3910-11204 and they are hard to find! Magma no longer have them since they have changed most of the components in the contol box, on their new machines.

In my opinion I have two options.

1. Buy a now complete control box from Magma with all new electronics. That would set me back about 1100 USDs plus shipping and import tax.

2. Get other components that would work as temp controller. I'm thinking MyPin and SSR right? There's no SSR in the box today. I guess this is built into the Chromalox unit. Right? .

Option 2 is clearly the most cost effective route.... I'm in no way competent to know how to wire this, or if this could work.

If I post a pic of the wiring of the chromalox unit...... I have a Mypin 220v 40 A SSR laying around...... I have a 220V in my shop.

Could some of you electrician guru guys please come up with something that would work and maybe draw up a wiring diagram for me? I know there's a lot of competence in here....

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

hunter74
03-30-2018, 06:12 AM
Posting a pic of the backside of the Chromalox unit. (Please note that I have the wires for the thermocouple reversed. This is an old pic)

Place 3 & 4 are maked 'optional'. I've not tried to move wires 1 and 2 over here.... Could that work or are these two connections used for something else? Could I hook my SSR up to this unit to take over a relay part that's broken?

Probably many dumb questions, but I'm just thinking out load.... And with little knowledge of these things, that's how it is......

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180330/23724c3daef438dc9405ba7922661649.jpg

HATCH
03-30-2018, 07:09 AM
I have to take my kids to school right now but I can help you out.
We can replace the unit with a PID and a SSR
But will talk more about it in a hr when I get back.

Half Dog
03-30-2018, 07:30 AM
You might want to check for a short or a condition that would cause an overcurrent. Many times, when SSR's fail and provide maximum output, and overcurrent has occured.

HATCH
03-30-2018, 08:29 AM
he has a relay not a SSR.
Relays have a much shorter life

ok back home. Give me a few mins to post

HATCH
03-30-2018, 08:32 AM
it looks like we already covered this -> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?350073-Magmas-Chromalox-PID-controller
:veryconfu

HATCH
03-30-2018, 08:42 AM
mypin TA4

Its pretty simple

Chrom PID
1 pot 1 = ssr term 1 (load side)
2 pot 2 = ssr term 2 (load side)
3 N/C
4 N/C
5 Hot 1 = Mypin 1
6 Hot 2 = Mypin 2
7 Thermocouple + = Mypin 8
8 Thermocouple - = Mypin 7

Now you will need to run a pair of wires from mypin 3 +4 to the SSR control side (3+4). Make sure you watch the polarity as you don't want to switch them around

hunter74
03-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Many thanks! Last time I had a problem I went the easy route and got a used Chromalox and forgot about it. Turned out to be a short lived joy. I'll order some parts off ebay and hope I get it to work. If not you'll hear me hollering

Thanks again.

hunter74
03-30-2018, 10:28 AM
Copy & paste from specs on the link (I can't get it to work when copying it)

"Output Configurations:The controller offers two different output configurations. One has a built-in relay for driving an external electromechanical relay, contactor, AC triggered SSR, or mercury relay. It can also handle 1200 watts of load directly without using an external relay. The other has a 12 VDC output for driving an external DC triggered SSR. The output configuration can not be changed by the user and must be set at factory."

1200 w is a bit on the short side. It controls 2 elements on 750 w each. And you're right about the measurements. It's about 92x92 and control box is about 92mm deep. My plan for the mypin is to long to fit. Should I look for a 1/4 DIN with more output capacity?

I could also buy just the controller from Magma. That's the ones they use in their machines today. Elisabeth at Magma said it's a TOHO temp controller and it's 140 USD. She didn't mention a SSR but she said that they changed the wiring a bit since the older days when my machine was made