PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Use Google Chrome

alamogunr
03-29-2018, 10:58 PM
I have just set up an account to use Google Chrome as another browser. The only reason I did this is because my bank doesn't allow me to print my monthly statement from Firefox and I just ordered some things for my wife from Macy's and couldn't print a copy of the order.

Except for these examples, I don't see that I will be using Chrome unless there are overriding reasons to leave Firefox. I have used Firefox for about 15 years and am comfortable with it. At my age, I'm not real flexible with trying to remember the ins and outs of different applications.

Can some of you Chrome users clue me in as to its advantages?

BTW I'm signed into Chrome to submit this post.

454PB
03-29-2018, 11:31 PM
I have just set up an account to use Google Chrome as another browser. The only reason I did this is because my bank doesn't allow me to print my monthly statement from Firefox and I just ordered some things for my wife from Macy's and couldn't print a copy of the order.

Except for these examples, I don't see that I will be using Chrome unless there are overriding reasons to leave Firefox. I have used Firefox for about 15 years and am comfortable with it. At my age, I'm not real flexible with trying to remember the ins and outs of different applications.

Can some of you Chrome users clue me in as to its advantages?

BTW I'm signed into Chrome to submit this post.

How does your bank prevent printing your statements?

My statements are downloaded as PDF files, which can be opened and printed by several different programs and browsers.

As to why I use the Chrome browser, it seems easier to manage bookmarks, but I suppose it's whatever you get used to. I actually have four different browsers on this machine.

RugerFan
03-30-2018, 12:04 AM
I switched from IE to Chrome because IE would make my laptop slow down so much I kept having to restart. Not sure why, but haven't had any issue since switching. I have used FireFox and like it as well.

Elkins45
03-30-2018, 12:50 AM
I’m a Mac user and I normally use Safari, but I also have Chrome and Firefox installed. Some websites just seem to work better in one browser than another.

The main reason I started using Chrome was for work: if you use Google Drive for distributed group document editing and creation then Chrome is really the best way to access them.

falmike
03-30-2018, 05:28 AM
A website I use for work is written in HTML 5 which is apparently not fully IE 10 compatible.

abunaitoo
03-30-2018, 05:34 AM
Past Christmas I bought a few things from Macy's for my Mother.
I use Firefox, and I could print out everything.
I have Win10.

HATCH
03-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Chrome is setup to link with my Gmail account so all my passwords are linked between my Iphone, and my desktop.
So is my fav websites

abunaitoo
03-30-2018, 05:55 PM
You do know google is anti-gun don't you??????
Same company as paypal and ebay.
I think they may all be headed in separate ways soon.

RED BEAR
03-30-2018, 06:02 PM
I dumped chrome becouze of privacy concerns. When I was told I had to put everything on there sight in order to print. Google disabled my printer and had to have everything I wanted to print go through them. Not sure if they still do this or not as I dumped them quite a while ago.

smokeywolf
03-30-2018, 06:48 PM
I switched from Chrome to Firefox because hackers go after Chrome far, far more often than they do Firefox. Also, Firefox seems just a smidge less intrusive than Chrome.

EDIT:
Also, Google owns Chrome and youtube which has recently announced that it will not tolerate anyone talking about or recognizing our 2nd amendment.

Bookworm
04-01-2018, 07:29 AM
I am using Opera.

I dumped IE to go to Chrome about 10 years ago, then switched to Opera a couple years later.

On some sites I use Firefox, but Opera is my go-to.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-01-2018, 09:22 AM
I use Chrome.
Years ago, when I had issues with IE (slow computer), I switched to Chrome...man it was so fast...still is fast.

Then one day, when that laptop crashed and I bought a new one, I was surprised/happy to see all my bookmarks were saved on the google's cloud...but at that same time, I guess there isn't much privacy in that.

Digger
04-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Just for the heck of it , try a new one out there "Vivaldi" .... it's got a lot of different features and will take some getting use to.
For a fairly new browser , not bad.
apparently you can add any search engine you want and it will search straight from the address bar for one feature among others.

Mr_Sheesh
04-01-2018, 11:56 PM
On all machines here I have Chrome, Firefox, and IE; Seamonkey on many as well (It's a Firefox mutation sort of.)

Mainly I use Firefox as much as I can...

If you only have one browser and it dies, and you only have one computer, just exactly HOW are you going to download anything needed to fix that machine? Have to ask a neighbor or take it to the shop I guess. I have many machines but still put multiple browsers on each (Could be away from home & have a problem.) And all too many sites will only work on one browser or another, disgustingly.

smokeywolf
04-04-2018, 03:36 AM
"Cloud"? "Cookies"? Such innocuous words, terms. "Cloud"?, you're voluntarily handing your file(s) over to someone else with no legal protection that they won't hand them over to someone or some entity that can or will use them against you at some point in time.

Never trade privacy for convenience.

Hickory
04-04-2018, 05:28 AM
Never trade privacy for convenience.

If you own & use a cell phone or a computer you have no privacy.
Every place you go, every letter you type, every site you visit is tracked and recorded.

shooterg
04-05-2018, 05:24 PM
fwiw- used to use Firefox on a desktop, liked it. Tried it on this laptop, not so much. The touchscreen stuff wouldn't respond correctly, scrolling was jerky, so guess I'm back to Chrome.

David2011
04-08-2018, 09:47 PM
IMO the question is, “Why would anyone, especially those of us with the interests of this website, hand so much information to Google on a silver platter?” There are lots of ways to print something even if it’s disabled in the browser. The ONLY thing I use anything Google for is maps when I can’t see something elsewhere.

smokeywolf
04-08-2018, 10:32 PM
If you own & use a cell phone or a computer you have no privacy.
Every place you go, every letter you type, every site you visit is tracked and recorded.

For the most part you're right.

You still can exert some control over the amount of privacy you have. You decide what you will say and what you will type. On most of our hardware, camera lenses are taped and mics disabled. Phone conversations are mostly for well-being checks (where are you and are you OK?) and 'what else did you want from the grocery store?'

Bareen
04-13-2018, 02:02 PM
I primarily use Chrome, but it is mainly out of habit. I ditched IE back in the days of Windows Vista because IE caused so many issues. I use Firefox for some things and my phone uses Safari, so I guess I am all over the place. I like that Chrome is fast, but I have had to troubleshoot people's computers running slow, and one reason for it is about 1000 tabs open in Chrome. Each one is handled as a separate instance and gets allocated its own RAM. Haven't had that issue for a while though, most people I do IT for is family/friends and I have gotten all of them to upgrade their computers with more RAM.

bangerjim
04-13-2018, 02:18 PM
I use both but am VERY leery of anything connected with Google/FaceBook/Twitter/etc! Privacy & search records stored for 7-10 years?

None of their business.

I use IE for 90% of my net business. Only use Chrome when some stupid site is not compatible with the world standard of MS IE.

banger

bosterr
04-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Since reading this thread I dumped IE for Firefox. Like RugerFan said, my desktop started running super slow for the last 4 to six weeks and re-booting didn't work so much any more. Firefox is now faster and no problems at all so far.

jonp
04-13-2018, 08:20 PM
I don't. As a condition of using any Google products they reserve the right and you agree to it through the 984 page user agreement to allow them to read your email and text msgs among other things and sell the data to whomever they please and this includes Facebook.

I use a Tor enabled Firefox browser and Protonmail for my email although I'm not a fan of Firefox specifically their owner/creator etc who is extremely left wing and anti-gun. On my mobile device I use Dolphin