PDA

View Full Version : Lee sprue plate came loose.

Leadmelter
03-29-2018, 08:23 PM
I bought a new Lee mold. Casting started well and then the sprue plate got loose and gave me all types of headaches.
Anybody know how to secure the sprue plate? Loctite?
Leadmelter
MI

Tom W.
03-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Without seeming like a smarta**, keep a screwdriver handy, and if you take the screw all the way out put a small bit of steel wool into the hole and retighten your screw.

Don't the new ones have LH threads now?

Guesser
03-29-2018, 09:16 PM
I have drilled and tapped a set screw in several of my Lee molds, the last one I did was the new style so I don't think the thread pitch or direction much matters. It's easier to just do it and be done, rather than "screw" with it continuously.

OldBearHair
03-29-2018, 09:20 PM
LH threads .....Yes and my newest mold's sprue plate was very easy to open with the screw tight so the venting may take place under the sprue plate. I have been trying to tighten the screw too tight to keep it from coming loose in the past. Thank you to Tom W for the steel wool trick.

Gunslinger1911
03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
LH threads ? But, I don't have a LH screwdriver - ****, nother trip to Harbor Freight !!

Actually, I just drill and tap for a set screw in any mould without one already.

poppy42
03-30-2018, 12:17 PM
LH threads ? But, I don't have a LH screwdriver - ****, nother trip to Harbor Freight !!

Actually, I just drill and tap for a set screw in any mould without one already.
Better get some flashlight oil while your at harbor freight. They keep it next to the left hand Finnegan pins

FredBuddy
03-30-2018, 01:19 PM
Yup.

Drill & tap for a set screw.

Grmps
03-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Yes, drill and tap BUT!!!!!, either get a brass set screw or put a piece of lead shot between the set screw and the screw plate screw so you do mess up the screw threads, which will mess up the threads in the mold when you remove the screw plate screw.

too many things
03-30-2018, 04:58 PM
lead shot will melt the extra fine steel wool wont

gregtu
03-30-2018, 08:47 PM
Yes, drill and tap BUT!!!!!, either get a brass set screw or put a piece of lead shot between the set screw and the screw plate screw so you do mess up the screw threads, which will mess up the threads in the mold when you remove the screw plate screw.

I hope I don't need to remove the sprew plate screws on my Lee molds! I know, I might need to, but alas, I used cheap HF drill bits and taping bits to do this. I pretty much just used cheap screws that I already had and surely jacked up the sprew plate screw. It does work though. I got tired of continually using a screw driver during casting to keep it tight enough. Just put the sprew plate screw right where you want it and tap from the side, and it should not go anywhere. It's working for me for now, but I may need new sprew plate screws in the future! (Anyone notice that automatic spell check keeps wanting to change sprew to spree or screw?)

frkelly74
03-30-2018, 11:13 PM
sprue

gregtu
03-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Oops! It would help if I spelled right!

sprue

Walter Laich
03-31-2018, 04:49 PM

after a casting session or two I go back and tighten the set screw/lead shot again. Stays tight from there on out

Grmps
03-31-2018, 09:17 PM

How hot are you letting your mold get?

Does the steel wool protect the threads of the sprue plate screw?